Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me HK

Hammertime
    I forgot to add that the giant slide releases on the VP9 and P30 series seems like a design flaw. You can pretty much expect auto forwarding with any slightly aggressive reload.

I like to swap them for the shorter version which is available from HK for another $30-50, that helps with thumb interference,
    But it still auto forwards.

I love almost everything about HKs in concept, but the Glock/SCD combination is unbeatable for carry IMO. The HKs sit in the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    PAs have the reputation of being able to break a bowling ball so take that into account, we’re fairly rough on equipment.

They generally go bang...

Broken trigger springs are becoming a fairly common occurrence as the guns get older. One of the HK sales reps told me awhile ago that the reduced power spring will last longer but that's never been an authorized option for us.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    After 7+ years being saddled with an H&K I don’t get the fascination with them. Ours are dropping like flys, not uncommon to hear of a couple going down a week. Most of my experience is with the P2000 in .40 S&W...
    Pretty sure it was @HCM who has mentioned guys with his agency preferring the USPc if they can hang onto them. I suspect the P2000 may hold up better in 9mm, and the USP even better.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    And HK makes it excessively difficult to get parts, etc (though I see it has gotten a lot better since the VP series came out).
    With the new HKWebShop setup, it's actually awesomely easy, and most small parts are surprisingly inexpensive. Use TooSixy's lists, Brownells or other retailers' lookups to ID part numbers, and just search for them on the HK site. There basically is no indexing. If something doesn't come up, call them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Broken trigger springs are becoming a fairly common occurrence as the guns get older. One of the HK sales reps told me awhile ago that the reduced power spring will last longer but that's never been an authorized option for us.
    At least the trigger spring can be changed independently of any other components. It only takes a couple minutes to press the trigger axle out and put in a new spring. And they're cheap.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    You are trying to solve an equation with too many variables. What caliber do you want? If it was me, the answer would be 9mm for almost every application. I don’t care what state I’m in. I have no use for .45, even in a 10 round state.

Now, what size gun do you want?

The USP/c would be my choice if I couldn’t have a p30 or p30sk LEM
    Curious as to what factors would lead you to a USP/C vs a P2000? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Pretty sure it was @HCM who has mentioned guys with his agency preferring the USPc if they can hang onto them. I suspect the P2000 may hold up better in 9mm, and the USP even better.

With the new HKWebShop setup, it's actually awesomely easy, and most small parts are surprisingly inexpensive. Use TooSixy's lists, Brownells or other retailers' lookups to ID part numbers, and just search for them on the HK site. There basically is no indexing. If something doesn't come up, call them.

At least the trigger spring can be changed independently of any other components. It only takes a couple minutes to press the trigger axle out and put in a new spring. And they're cheap.
    A far less common occurrence, but even more troubling, is the occasional frozen firing pin. Depending on work environment some crud will accumulate in the firing pin channel and retard movement to the point that the gun won't fire.

Not unique to the HK I suppose but being that the firing pin is not readily removable it is something to be mindful of.

Help Me HK

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Curious as to what factors would lead you to a USP/C vs a P2000? Thanks.
    I’m not the best person to have an opinion because I have one HK and don’t use it. My understanding is that the USP is the most robust of the line, and lends itself to trigger changes. I also prefer a “normal” placement of the decocker.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-18-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    A far less common occurrence, but even more troubling, is the occasional frozen firing pin. Depending on work environment some crud will accumulate in the firing pin channel and retard movement to the point that the gun won't fire.

Not unique to the HK I suppose but being that the firing pin is not readily removable it is something to be mindful of.

Early USPC’s had issues with firing pin breakage but “frozen” FP sounds like a Maintenance issue. I mean we are talking about a group that includes someone who accidentally cooked his loaded duty gun in the oven....

It all boils down to personal preference. I have a USP45 Tactical LE, USP45, P30L V3, VP9. I have owned other HK pistols. The one thing that I have to add, is that in several decades of shooting, the only brand I have ever shot that never had an issue is HK.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Early USPC’s had issues with firing pin breakage but “frozen” FP sounds like a Maintenance issue.
    It is a maintenance issue but also somewhat of a design flaw. The firing pin's shaft is solid and close to the same diameter as the firing pin channel. Accumulated crud can block the pin from free movement. Some type of "sand cuts" or grooves in the shaft would no doubt help the pin move under extreme circumstances.

Being that the pin is roll-pinned in place and the one pin retains both the firing pin and spring and the safety plunger and spring, these parts are not serviceable by the employee. FMAT-trained employees have been instructed to remove the pin and clean out the channel every so often depending on when the armorer obtained his cert. In fact I seem to recall the actual P2000 armorer's manual says to clean the channel every 5,000 rounds and/or annually.

All this makes the case that a service-use pistol should have a firing pin or striker that can be removed fairly easily and without too much fuss...

It is a maintenance issue but also somewhat of a design flaw. The firing pin's shaft is solid and close to the same diameter as the firing pin channel. Accumulated crud can block the pin from free movement. Some type of "sand cuts" or grooves in the shaft would no doubt help the pin move under extreme circumstances.

Being that the pin is roll-pinned in place and the one pin retains both the firing pin and spring and the safety plunger and spring, these parts are not serviceable by the employee. FMAT-trained employees have been instructed to remove the pin and clean out the channel every so often depending on when the armorer obtained his cert. In fact I seem to recall the actual P2000 armorer's manual says to clean the channel every 5,000 rounds and/or annually.

All this makes the case that a service-use pistol should have a firing pin or striker that can be removed fairly easily and without too much fuss...
    That does appear to be a design flaw. Do you know which if any HK models have a user serviceable firing pin and safety plunger?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List