Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me HK

Help Me HK

My first foray into the land of HK was with LEM P30s. I liked them for the most part, but never really warmed up to the “spiderman” grip and finger grooves. I’ve always liked the way the square HKs fit in the hand. Options I am considering:

Full size USP in .45 or 9mm
    Compact USP in 9mm
    P2000 9mm
    HK45 Compact

All of them would either be V1 (TDA), or LEMs of some variant.

I’m leaning HK45C, with the main advantage being the feel and that it uses the same sights as the VP9/P30/HK45 giving me lots of sight options. Con is it’s a .45 and lower capacity. But I have 1911s in .45 and plenty of ammo. Plus the ability to acquire reliable 10-round mags is an advantage over a 1911. Advantage over USP is being able to attach any WML without a special adapter.

The P2000 seems to kind of walk the line between the two, but not sharing the same sights as the later guns, but being easier to attach a light to, and in 9mm.

USP is awesome, by being awesome and also having the best LEM available. Downside it either needs a light with a special adapter or a rail mounted. And holster options with the rail mounted are highly limited and the USP holster market isn’t exactly jammed. It also has limited sight availability compared the VP9/P30/HK45.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-16-2019 at 11:56 PM.

You just kinda need a fullsize USP .45 because reasons.

Pretty bummed I missed AIM's trade-ins for $500.

Last edited by Bigghoss; 11-17-2019 at 12:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    My first foray into the land of HK was with LEM P30s. I liked them for the most part, but never really warmed up to the “spiderman” grip and finger grooves. I’ve always liked the way the square HKs fit in the hand. Options I am considering:

Compact USP in 9mm
    P2000 9mm
    HK45 Compact

All of them would either be V1 (TDA), or LEMs of some variant.

I’m leaning HK45C, with the main advantage being the feel and that it uses the same sights as the VP9/P30/HK45 giving me lots of sight options. Con is it’s a .45 and lower capacity. But I have 1911s in .45 and plenty of ammo. Plus the ability to acquire reliable 10-round mags is an advantage over a 1911. Advantage over USP is being able to attach any WML without a special adapter.

The P2000 seems to kind of walk the line between the two, but not sharing the same sights as the later guns, but being easier to attach a light to, and in 9mm.

USP is awesome, by being awesome and also having the best LEM available. Downside it either needs a light with a special adapter or a rail mounted. And holster options with the rail mounted are highly limited and the USP holster market isn’t exactly jammed. It also has limited sight availability compared the VP9/P30/HK45.
    The 45c won’t take “any” WML. though it doesn’t have the USP’s proprietary rail, the rail on the 45C is too short for standard WMLs like the SF X300 or TLR-1.

Site Supporter
    The HK45 compact is an awesome firearm. I have two. One TDA and one LEM. I prefer the TDA. Follow up shots with the single action trigger pull is easier. O ring barrel is cool. Mag release is much easier to use than the USP release. The USP release is too dang small. It also has a flat sided grip.

I had a usp 45 compact, but I don't anymore, wish I didn't sell it. That was my first pistol actually.
    I do have a p2000 v3 and I love it. Not much sight options but between dawson a trijicon sights it's enough for me. I find it to be very accurate and probably shoot it the best of all my pistols. It's less than one ounce heavier loaded than my g19 and slightly smaller overall dimensions. I honestly can't tell much of a difference carrying the two of them. But the p2000 does conceal effortless for me, more so than a g19. I just wish there were more light bearing aiwb holster options.

Commenting only on the alternatives you've identified:

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Compact USP in 9mm
    P2000 9mm
    HK45 Compact
    I have a pair of full size USP 45s, one is set up LEM and is my woods gun, the other is set up DA/SA match trigger and is range use only. I love both of them for their intended purposes. I have no issues concealing the woods gun in field clothes or in cool weather but might hesitate to carry it in town on a warm day in business attire, just a little on the large size for that.

Compact USP... I have only the 45 version, had it set up LEM for a long time but converted it back to DA/SA recently and find I shoot it better that way. I'm tempted to get one in 9mm, and actually fondled one way back when I bought my first HK and was really tempted then. Given a do over I'd get it in 9mm instead of 45 although both are fine pistols. Way easier to conceal than the FS version, and the 9mm version uses the same mags as the 9mm P2000.

P2000, I have two of them, three if you count the sk, and a P2000 9mm LEM with Trijicon HDs has been my primary carry pistol for years. I'm very happy with it, fits my hand nicely, super reliable (one stoppage ever in thousands of rounds, attributable to an out-of-round WWB), easy to conceal. Actually all my HKs have been reliable, no surprise there, this one has seen some pretty intense off-trail backcountry use though including sand, salt spray, rain, snow at high elevations, wind, mud, and it just keeps running.

HK45c... the only one I have essentially no experience with, held one but have never fired it, they are off roster in California and thus pricey on the used market.

So I guess you can't go wrong, it comes down to personal preference. I don't use lights so can't comment on that. The USP vs P2000/HK45c grips are of course very different, I'm one of quite a few people who initially had a strong preference for the newer more "ergonomic" grip (and still like them) while gradually finding that I actually shot the older blockier USP grip a little more accurately, and give the USP trigger the edge. There are adequate holster choices for the P2000, not so much for the older USP.
    Last edited by Salamander; 11-17-2019 at 03:06 AM.

I always heard you couldn't mill a hk slide for a red dot. The other night I looked up a few internet searches and I actually saw a lot of p30 with the slides milled. So far I haven't gotten into red dots on pistols, but I figured the day will eventually come and I am excited to see that it is an option. I hope you can mill the slides on all of the HK lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    You just kinda need a fullsize USP .45 because reasons.

"Yo Homie, is that my breifcase?"
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I drank the kool-aid

My first HK was the P2000 TDA 9mm. Outside the horrendous trigger pull ( long DA pull and weight ) I like it. I shoot it well and it carries well due to weight and size.

My next HK was a USP 45 full-size TDA. For me, a survey of one, I am not thrilled with it. As the grip goes, I much prefer my S&W M&P 2.0 45 full-size. The texture of the M&P secures it better in my hand. Plus the grip panels allow for adjustment to the shooter. The USP is just a bit blocky in the grip area for me. I like the M&P's grip angle too. As far as function goes, it been 100%, but so has my M&P.

In the end it is the shooter's choice of what to purchase. This has been my opinion coupled with experience.

I think the choice is a very personal one, based on the grip and trigger, having owned all of those platforms and shot thousands of rounds through each.

In the timers and targets don't lie category, I cannot shoot as well with the P30/VP9 platforms, no matter what combination of sides and backstraps. I do not shoot the P2000/HK45 or 45c grips and LEM triggers as well as the USP/c or full size USP, which just work well for me because of whatever ergonomic reason. I sold off everything else HK this year except the USP and USP/c family.

My HK's are all LEM light. I have no use for their conventional DA/SA trigger system. I don't CCW with a mounted light so that is not a consideration for me and the GGG adapter takes care of the USP full size bedside gun, the only one with a light. All my sights have been Trijicon HD the last 5 years which are available for all the platforms. JMCK once again makes holsters for the full size USP and they never quit on the USP/c, if I feel like using leather I have the Privateer brand handy. Every other holster is a waste of money for me.

My opinion of the whole HK tribe is they are all excellent, but which one is best is an absolutely personal thing based on your use case and personal performance with any particular platform/trigger system. Available holster and sights just ended up being a non-consideration for me since my favorites are available.

I know that others love the P30/VP9 or P2000 platforms and perform well with them. Now that my competition years are mostly behind me, if I were forced to own only one handgun, period, for all use cases, it would a USP/c LEM. And their 10 round magazines work flawlessly if our sinking freedoms ever leave me there.
    Last edited by fatdog; 11-17-2019 at 08:16 AM.

User Tag List