Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have IWB carry experience with both 92 Compact and PX4 Compact Carry?

Anyone have IWB carry experience with both 92 Compact and PX4 Compact Carry?

Preparing for a transition from carry revolvers to TDA. Spent time on an LTT Elite that I think's the bees knees for those of us more comfortable with double-action starts and wanting a double-stack 9mm, but too large for me to conceal well.

Short list alternative is an LTT Compact or PX4 Compact Carry.

Slight lean toward the LTT Compact because of time on the full size, but even the compact version looks meaty for serious concealment. PX4 Compact Carry I have no experience with save for palming one and liking it well-enough; by looks, stats and design it seems more suited to concealed carry.

I've looked but haven't found direct comparisons, though the two active threads on each pistol separately have lent some insight.

Who has meaningful time on both, especially concealed carrying, and what observations or suggestions do you have?
    Last edited by Wingate's Hairbrush; 11-16-2019 at 08:50 PM.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

I’ve done both. Started with a 92 and then migrated to the PX4CC. Made the switch at first because summer was coming and I’d rather sweat on polymer. Never moved back because I loved the weight savings. They conceal almost identically for me. I’d carry either one tomorrow if someone made me switch, but the reduction in weight makes me take the PX4CC as long as I’m the one picking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I’ve done both. Started with a 92 and then migrated to the PX4CC. Made the switch at first because summer was coming and I’d rather sweat on polymer. Never moved back because I loved the weight savings. They conceal almost identically for me. I’d carry either one tomorrow if someone made me switch, but the reduction in weight makes me take the PX4CC as long as I’m the one picking.
    Were you using the full size 92? Weight for both compacts is listed as comparable at approximately 27-28oz?
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

I've done full size 92, Compact 92, and PX4CC, AIWB.

Best I remember, Compact 92 has a barrel length approaching that of G17. It never felt compact for me, neither is size nor length. PX4CC felt OK.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    My two cents - I’ve done both, like both, but for me the longer 92 (full length holster) sits more comfortably aiwb and strong side when carrying all day. So I carry one every day. I don’t have a problem concealing a full-size Ltt aiwb but expect the Compact, when I get it, will be even better because of the shorter grip. I don’t notice a huge difference concealment wise the full-size 92 and px4cc aiwb at all. Notice it more carrying strong side because of the grip length difference, but it’s not make or break. Compact addresses that in large measure, stats wise.

I didn’t expect this to be the situation and thought I’d carry the px4cc more, but it hasn’t worked out that way.

It would be cool if you could try both but at least in my experience you can’t tell from a walk around the block what’s gonna feel better after 16 hours or say a 600 plus mile day driving. Maybe if you’re sure you can’t conceal a full-size 92 the px4cc will be better? Speculation only.
    Last edited by Medusa; 11-17-2019 at 12:08 AM.

I carry a full size 92. No significant experience with the PX4CC.

How interested are you in red dot sights?

If you are interested in red dot sights, or may be in the near term future due to age, eyes, or wantsies I would suggest the PX4CC. The 92 series are amazing pistols, I'm going to be shooting them for years to come. If you forsee RMRs then you may need to check out the PX4 more, as the 92s don't seem to lend themself well to dots.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    Were you using the full size 92? Weight for both compacts is listed as comparable at approximately 27-28oz?
    To elaborate further, carried full size 92’s as well as both the compact models I mentioned. I’ve carried all 3 at 3:00 IWB and AIWB. My overall experience is that the PX4 compact was easier on my lower back, thus seeming to be lighter to me. I’ve e honestly not compared the spec sheet weights. I suppose it could be that it isn’t lighter than the 92 compact after all and some other factor is increasing my comfort after extended periods of carrying.

I love my px4cc but I rarely carry it. I just can't get over the fact of the barrel length and sight radius. My g26 has longer barrel and sight radius than my px4cc. It is not size efficient enough for me to bother carrying. I usually end up carrying a p2000 anymore if I am carrying hammer fired. It is lighter, longer sight radius and longer barrel than px4cc.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    I love my px4cc but I rarely carry it. I just can't get over the fact of the barrel length and sight radius. My g26 has longer barrel and sight radius than my px4cc. It is not size efficient enough for me to bother carrying. I usually end up carrying a p2000 anymore if I am carrying hammer fired. It is lighter, longer sight radius and longer barrel than px4cc.
    I suppose this is a to each their own type thing, it I can shoot a PX4 compact or Compact Carry a hell of a lot better than any Glock smaller than a G17. I’ve gotta go up to a G17 or G34 to get a Glock I can score as well on most standards as I can the PX4 compacts.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    Respectfully, if you aren’t shooting the Px4CC as well as the G26 I doubt the significant factor is sight radius. Look at the math.

Here are the calculations on the deflection/sight radius comparing the G26, (SR - 5.39") versus the Compact Carry, (SR - 5.2") at 21 feet with 1" deflection.

G26: (1"/252") * 5.39" = .0213"
    Compact Carry: (1"/252") * 5.2" = .0206"

What that calculation says is that when the sights on a Compact Carry are misaligned by .0206" of an inch the bullet impact from target center will be off 1" from center when shooting at 21'. When the sights on the G26 are misaligned by .0213" of an inch the bullet impact from the target center will be 1" off from center at 21'. That is a difference of .0007". For the type of shooting I do with these types of pistols it really is a wash. I'm generally practicing at 7 yards or less and my target is an 8" circle or a 3"x5" index card. My sight picture isn’t that refined with this type of shooting and my focus is the tip of the front sight.

I don’t have experience IWB-ing a 92 Compact but have plenty with a 92 Full Size/Centurion and the Px4CC. I mostly exclusively AIWB (JMC Wing Claw 2.5) the Px4CC because of it’s conceal-ability, comfy carry and shoot-ability.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by medmo; 11-18-2019 at 09:41 AM.

User Tag List