Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grip Strength, Gender, and Shooting Performance

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    I once thought that uber strength would be necessary for action pistol sports - how many have heard of Robert V’s or Jerry M’s grip strength?... but then after hearing a podcast with the greatest action pistol shooter in the world (Eric G) where he says he doesn’t really use hand strength but an isometric push pull - you gotta wonder!

Oh and read Dan John’s strength standards- his expected standards and his game changer standards are quite attainable.
    I have shook Jerry M's hand. Not only does he have giant hands, they are incredibly strong. I'm no wimp, but he could have easily hurt me if he wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by SIRTainly View Post

This year, both Justine Williams (who is still a junior shooter) and Ashley Rheuark placed in the top 16 at USPSA Production nationals (13th and 14th respectively), beating out some well known shooters like Phil Strader, BJ Norris, Shannon Smith, Matt Hopkins, etc. I don't know how their grip strength compares to the top male GMs, but I suspect they outperformed many shooters who were physically stronger. All this has me thinking that maybe you don't need to close a #2 CoC to be competitive in an action pistol sport, although it might not hurt either.

Thoughts?
    First, if you've not seen Justine, Jalice or Ashley shoot in matches, it is a sight to behold. If you've seen them, then you know how fast they move, how fearless they are in shooting on the move and in awkward spaces, how great their entries and exits and transitions are, etc, etc - basically, everything that determines match placement over raw split speed. Last hi-cap Nationals I saw Justine shoot a medium distance target falling out from the activator plate (a raised stand) towards the next array - I didn't see anyone from two all male super-squads attempt that.

Second, some of the core TPC techniques that are so effective in controlling them guns fit small-handed shooters better. For example, the quarter panel technique, which is really awesome, does make a biomechanical sense, and requires zero physical strength, is much easier to execute if one's hands are small.
    Last edited by YVK; 11-18-2019 at 09:11 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    ....the quarter panel technique, which is really awesome, does make a biomechanical sense, and requires zero physical strength, is much easier to execute if one's hands are small.
    You previously wrote: "A point to conclude on: I didn't think that a quarter panel technique was a big deal."

Have you reconsidered? Im going back and forth between the quarter panel technique and crushing with my support hand, and would love to hear what you think....
    Last edited by gomerpyle; 11-18-2019 at 12:00 PM.

I think it is a valuable technique that makes a ton of sense mechanically. My problem with it is that I can't execute it, barely with a slow deliberate placing of my hands on a gun and never with a speed draw. The size of my hands, the ergos of my guns, where my strong hand goes on a gun all lead to inability to make my support hand to go around that corner. Given that I get decent results when I do the gripping correctly even without the quarter panel, I still think that it is not a bid deal. I would've preferred to be able to do it, I think I wouldn't have had to grip as hard as I try now, but I can't and I don't have much concerns about.
    My current day-to-day support grip strength is 120 lbs, as measured on a medical equipment and using the agreed on technique. I estimated Ben's grip strength (not his max, his gun gripping strength) at about maybe 140. I do grip strength exercises very carefully, making sure to avoid overuse, and I started to shoot the doubles drill with a 45 ACP as an adjunct to grip strength development. Based what I see on my sights/dots, I am still in a crush the grip camp, I just don't think that crushing means 2.5 CoC effort.

..... as measured on a medical equipment and using the agreed on technique.
    What is the agreed on technique?
    Taking a break from social media.

The arm hangs relaxed alongside the body, then the elbow is flexed 90 degrees so the fist points forward, then grip, hold for a couple of secs, release. We use it to assess for frailty.

I think it is a valuable technique that makes a ton of sense mechanically. My problem with it is that I can't execute it, barely with a slow deliberate placing of my hands on a gun and never with a speed draw. The size of my hands, the ergos of my guns, where my strong hand goes on a gun all lead to inability to make my support hand to go around that corner. Given that I get decent results when I do the gripping correctly even without the quarter panel, I still think that it is not a bid deal. I would've preferred to be able to do it, I think I wouldn't have had to grip as hard as I try now, but I can't and I don't have much concerns about.
    My current day-to-day support grip strength is 120 lbs, as measured on a medical equipment and using the agreed on technique. I estimated Ben's grip strength (not his max, his gun gripping strength) at about maybe 140. I do grip strength exercises very carefully, making sure to avoid overuse, and I started to shoot the doubles drill with a 45 ACP as an adjunct to grip strength development. Based what I see on my sights/dots, I am still in a crush the grip camp, I just don't think that crushing means 2.5 CoC effort.
    I think the quarter panel technique is especially helpful on lightweight pistols with rather longish and heavy triggers (read Glock).
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think the quarter panel technique is especially helpful on lightweight pistols with rather longish and heavy triggers (read Glock).
    I also think it is better on more rectangular grips (Glock) but it is also the reason I go for the biggest grip modules on HKs so my hands have a better chance to get behind that edge.

My current day-to-day support grip strength is 120 lbs, as measured on a medical equipment and using the agreed on technique. I estimated Ben's grip strength (not his max, his gun gripping strength) at about maybe 140.
    How did you estimate that? From a class where he used his support hand to grip your strong hand on the pistol?

Yes. I've done that in the past. I ask the instructor to grab my right forearm with their support hand, applying the correct pressure, and it gives me the first impression. I then ask them to keep holding it and squeeze my right forearm with my support hand, trying to replicate it. Ben's pressure didn't feel painful but I was unable to generate the same amount myself.

User Tag List