Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Huntsville Alabama

Site Supporter

RFI: Huntsville Alabama

I am headed to Huntsville AL with wife for a weekend. Have a hotel certificate expiring and decided to make a weekend trip to Huntsville. We will drive about 4 hours from NW GA to Huntsville Saturday morning (4hrs +/-), look around area, spend night, look around, head home Sunday.

Any suggestions on places to see? Restaurants for lunch or dinner Saturday, breakfast on Sunday?

Sorry, I don't have a "tourist bump" and don't know what to go see, other than the Space and Rocket Center.

I am sure there are other good places to dine in Huntsville, but every time I pass through, my car is like the horse headed for the barn, it homes in on Ol' Heidelburg German Restaurant. Bier und schnitzel, yum.
    https://olheidelberg.com/
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 11-16-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

If you like Texas-style BBQ, Chuckwagon is pretty good. The brisket and sausage are excellent. 11700 Memorial Parkway SW Suite H Huntsville, AL 35803

Another Broken Egg is a decent place for brunch. Three locations around the area.

Connor's Steakhouse at the outdoor Bridge Street Mall is good. Your wife may enjoy the shopping there as well. Reservations are suggested. 345 The Bridge St # 101, Huntsville, AL 35806

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    We recently spent an overnight there on our tour of Alabama.

The NASA facility is worth doing.

If you'd like to walk a few miles in a nature park: https://www.madisoncountyal.gov/serv...ure-trail-1594

For fast-casual BBQ, we went to LawLer's at 5004 Whitesburg Dr SW, Suite A, Huntsville, AL 35802 which is pretty near to the NASA facility. The food was good and service was outstanding.

Handel's Ice Cream at 7086 Hwy 72 W, Huntsville, AL 35806 was awesome. You get a lot for your money and the quality is excellent. It made National Geographic's "Best Ice Cream" list.

Not actually in Huntsville, but about a 40 minute drive: https://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/ If you like to shop it's quite the destination. You couldn't possibly go through everything they have for sale in a single day as they keep bringing out more stuff. Everything is cleaned or laundered prior to entry so it doesn't smell like a thrift shop. Despite the name they have unclaimed cargo as well, so there's lots of brand new items. There were boxes of new concert t-shirts, for example. I got a cashmere made-in-Italy top coat for under $40 and got my son a brand new pair of Keen boots for $50. We got a few other things as well, but those were the standout deals. Electronics weren't much of a deal, but most everything else seemed to be.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Sorry, I don't have a "tourist bump" and don't know what to go see, other than the Space and Rocket Center.

I am sure there are other good places to dine in Huntsville, but every time I pass through, my car is like the horse headed for the barn, it homes in on Ol' Heidelburg German Restaurant. Bier und schnitzel, yum.
    https://olheidelberg.com/
    Perfect - I just returned from a business trip to Germany - great opportunity for my wife to try German food.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

Handel's Ice Cream at 7086 Hwy 72 W, Huntsville, AL 35806 was awesome. You get a lot for your money and the quality is excellent. It made National Geographic's "Best Ice Cream" list.

Not actually in Huntsville, but about a 40 minute drive: https://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/ If you like to shop it's quite the destination. You couldn't possibly go through everything they have for sale in a single day as they keep bringing out more stuff. Everything is cleaned or laundered prior to entry so it doesn't smell like a thrift shop. Despite the name they have unclaimed cargo as well, so there's lots of brand new items. There were boxes of new concert t-shirts, for example. I got a cashmere made-in-Italy top coat for under $40 and got my son a brand new pair of Keen boots for $50. We got a few other things as well, but those were the standout deals. Electronics weren't much of a deal, but most everything else seemed to be.
    We are all about ice cream. Unclaimed Baggage is on our way from NW GA - will check it out. Thanks

@John Hearne and I dined at a very good German restaurant there. Perhaps he will remember the name.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I'll second the Ol Heidelberg recommendation. Good German food. Near Ol Heidelberg is Rosie's Cantina. It is good Mexican food.

The USA Space and Rocket center is worth a visit. It is easy to get to as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    We are all about ice cream. Unclaimed Baggage is on our way from NW GA - will check it out. Thanks
    As someone who has made the drive between Huntsville and Kennesaw more often than I care to think, I suggest taking 75N to 24W to US 72. There are back roads, but there is a strong risk of being stuck behind a logging truck with no hope of passing.

Near the I-24/US 72 interchange is the Lodge factory outlet store in South Pittsburg. It is worth the stop.

Site Supporter
    AAR: Trip complete. Purpose of trip was weekend away from Atlanta area, consume a Marriott hotel night certificate before it expired, try out our new 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring, recon Huntsville area
    1) Drove from Canton GA to Huntsville AL Saturday.
    2) Cold and rainy - at times very heavy rain to the point the new Subaru Eyesight system cut off.
    3) No issues with rainy drive, traffic ok, saw changing leaves, appreciated the AWD feature
    4) Checked in at Westin collocated with the outdoor mall shopping area - nice hotel
    5) Per recommendation - ate lunch at Ol Heidelberg German restaurant - very good! Great recommendation
    6) Drove around Huntsville area looking around
    7) Back to hotel and a nap after than big lunch
    8) Reservations at Connors Steak and Seafood which was in walking distance - very good! Great recommendation
    9) Walked around shopping area but cold, wet, windy
    10) Got up Sunday AM and checked out - beautiful day
    11) Breakfast at Another Broken Egg Café - enjoyed it.
    12) Spent several hours at Space Museum. Very nice. I can remember much of the early space program as a child and I am an Industrial Engineer so all the technology and project work to achieve space flight was fascinating to me.
    13) Drive home ok - got behind an 18 wheeler poking along but eventually got around him.
    14) 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring did great. Approximately 26 MPG. AWD was reassuring in the heavy rain. Comfortable. New tech "Eyesight" system was also reassuring. Good size - not too big or too small. 3.6 six cylinder had plenty of power for bursts of speed to pass on winding two lanes.

Thanks to all for the recommendations.
    Last edited by ranger; 11-24-2019 at 10:00 PM.

User Tag List