Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinios on NY Safe Act Compliant ARs

Another option is to buy a complete Ares/Fightlite SCR, or an SCR lower and add your choice of legal upper.

https://www.ammoland.com/2015/05/nyp...rifles-in-nyc/

The SCR is apparently between production runs, so you may have to wait a bit or hit up gunbroker.

— Michael

I really want to get an SCR to try out.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

M1A with fixed magazine. You can then have all the other evil features and load it with stripper clips from the top.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    M1A with fixed magazine. You can then have all the other evil features and load it with stripper clips from the top.
    An M1A does not = an AR.

The current Mini 14 and Ares SCR are both better options.

If an M1a was chosen I would much prefer a muzzle break to the bayonet lug and flash hider. Even more so if it got me detachable mags.

I still have an M1a scout I bought during the federal AWB and have used actual M14s at work. It’s better than no rifle at all but the myth of the M14 is way over blown.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-17-2019 at 08:44 PM.

I'm aware of several shooters who went with the Ares rifle and have not heard any complaints or concerns. Have you made it Paula's Donuts or Costanzo's Bakery?

IMO, all the SAFE-compliant ARs are full retard. Evidently most AR-owning New Yorkers feel the same based on my observations from my visits to upstate NY ranges.

If I ever suffer the misfortune of having to move back, Ill either keep mine in 100% free state configuration and locked in a safe or give them up entirely and put my money in a compact, lightweight bolt gun like those discussed in this thread.

I'd be more pissed about having to give up my handguns and go through all the long, drawn-out BS to legally own and carry one in NY. Some counties require that new applicants must know their resident character references for five years.

For gun owners having to move to NY from a free state, it's a shit sandwich no matter how you slice it.

Edit: I'd consider the SCR, but I don't really consider it an AR.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 11-18-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Site Supporter
    The SCR is far too expensive IMO. But, at least it doesn't look overly goofy like some of the other options.

I'm of the same opinion as NH Shooter, if I had to go that route, I'd probably just go with a lightweight bolt gun. Actually, with VA heading in a similar direction, that may be exactly what I do.

However, handguns are a bigger issue. ARs are mainly range toys, but the handguns are for "serious use" and the alternatives aren't as good a fit.

Chris

How about an unconverted Saiga? The .223s are a little cheaper, throw on a Zhukov fore end and a Krebs MK VII safety and you got a pretty decent featureless rifle. I kinda want to find another one to try this out too.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List