Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun culture and foreign students

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    That album is never gonna drop anyway.

Attachment 44905
    It released in 2008, albeit Axel was the only real GnR member. In my opinion it sucked.

I'm pretty okay with my own enthnocentrisim. Anyone coming here has a ticket to a land where the poor people are fat. It's a ticket to possability and opourtunity. Even today.

Other countries want to judge American culture against there own and don't like our culture? Cool. Stay home.

Who cares? America doesn't need everyone.

-Cory

Most foreigners don't really grok America, and just go on what they see in the media.

And to be fair, most 'Murricans don't really grok the rest of world, either.

But we come by it honestly- we left those crapholes for good reasons.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

This is very clearly the result of having a free society and limitations on government powers. In much of the world, including what we consider the modern "free world", governments have unrestricted authority to cover up and dictate what is printed in the news. So, quite obviously we're more "dangerous" since we have a 1st Amendment and aren't living a lie.

Just as a small example, in Sweden it's virtually illegal these days to talk about the exponential crime that has flooded the country due to their unfettered refugee program, and this month Denmark has instituted strict border control with Sweden due to 13 bombings year-to-date from Swedish (Syrian) gangs spilling over into Denmark. Denmark, a country of 43k square miles and population of less than 6 million. 13 bombings in less than a year.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This is very clearly the result of having a free society and limitations on government powers. In much of the world, including what we consider the modern "free world", governments have unrestricted authority to cover up and dictate what is printed in the news. So, quite obviously we're more "dangerous" since we have a 1st Amendment and aren't living a lie.

Just as a small example, in Sweden it's virtually illegal these days to talk about the exponential crime that has flooded the country due to their unfettered refugee program, and this month Denmark has instituted strict border control with Sweden due to 13 bombings year-to-date from Swedish (Syrian) gangs spilling over into Denmark. Denmark, a country of 43k square miles and population of less than 6 million. 13 bombings in less than a year.
    That's another interesting thing- Americans tend to be far, far more open about our society's problems and failures and shortcomings than almost everybody.

The rest of the world tends towards covering things up until the issue is way too big too ignore.

As a result, Americans tend to thing the rest of the world doesn't have as many problems, because they're not talking about it. The idea that they cover it up doesn't automatically occur to us.

And the rest of the world thinks America has a lot more problems than it does, because Americans do nothing but talk about it. The idea that they don't cover it up doesn't automatically occur to them.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    That's another interesting thing- Americans tend to be far, far more open about our society's problems and failures and shortcomings than almost everybody.

The rest of the world tends towards covering things up until the issue is way too big too ignore.

As a result, Americans tend to thing the rest of the world doesn't have as many problems, because they're not talking about it. The idea that they cover it up doesn't automatically occur to us.

And the rest of the world thinks America has a lot more problems than it does, because Americans do nothing but talk about it. The idea that they don't cover it up doesn't automatically occur to them.
    It is not just other countries that cover up their problems. On the issue of guns, it is our own media perpetuating the myth that other countries are somehow safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    It is not just other countries that cover up their problems. On the issue of guns, it is our own media perpetuating the myth that other countries are somehow safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a good point. I never hear anyone in the media compare our homicide rate with Mexico's, only Canada's. I guess Mexico doesn't exist although it has roughly 3.5 times more people than Canada. Mexico's homicide rate is 5X that of the US.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    That's a good point. I never hear anyone in the media compare our homicide rate with Mexico's, only Canada's. I guess Mexico doesn't exist although it has roughly 3.5 times more people than Canada. Mexico's homicide rate is 5X that of the US.
    To be fair, we should be comparing our rates to 1st world nations and not 3rd world nations where the rule of law is breaking down. It's hardly a feather in our cap to have a lower murder rate than Mexico.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    To be fair, we should be comparing our rates to 1st world nations and not 3rd world nations where the rule of law is breaking down. It's hardly a feather in our cap to have a lower murder rate than Mexico.

Chris
    So if we compare our homicide rate with Canada (also 1st world country and our neighbor), how is it that ours is 3X higher? Surely Canada isn't that far ahead of us as a developed country (using your 1st world vs 3rd world analogy). Or maybe it is, I haven't traveled in Canada much so can't make a comparison. I've been in Baja, Sonora and Chihuahua a bunch, interior, not just border towns. Not recently however. Not sure I would put MX in the 3rd world category.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-18-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post

Chris
    Point taken but along those same lines it isn’t really accurate to compare us to other countries that have largely homogeneous societies and culture. The only other country that I can think of off the top of my head that is as “diverse” as the US is Brazil and we know where they stand crime wise. If you filter inner city drug related crime out of our homicide rates we begin to line up with Western Europe and when you look at homicide rates by demographics you see strong correlation. At the end of the day comparing the US with any other country is apples to a big red white and blue watermelon.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    So if we compare our homicide rate with Canada (also 1st world country and our neighbor), how is it that ours is 3X higher? Surely Canada isn't that far ahead us as a developed country (using your 1st world vs 3rd world analogy). Or maybe it is, I haven't traveled in Canada much so can't make a comparison. I've been in Baja, Sonora and Chihuahua a bunch, interior, not just border towns. Not recently however.
    I'm not sure I'd class it as "that far ahead" of us, but we certainly are different. We're more militaristic, prone to violence, and have an obstinate streak. It all contributes.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Point taken but along those same lines it isn’t really accurate to compare us to other countries that have largely homogeneous societies and culture. The only other country that I can think of off the top of my head that is as “diverse” as the US is Brazil and we know where they stand crime wise. If you filter inner city drug related crime out of our homicide rates we begin to line up with Western Europe and when you look at homicide rates by demographics you see strong correlation. At the end of the day comparing the US with any other country is apples to a big red white and blue watermelon.
    We do have some unique properties in that regard, but the biggest one I see is not the diversity, as that exists in Canada and the UK, but our anti-establishment and obstinate nature. We have a thread of "you ain't the boss of me" that isn't seen elsewhere. That, in my opinion, is the larger factor.

Unfortunately, it's a trait that is not appreciated much anymore even within our own borders and may be the root of the anti-gun/anti-self-defense community's activities. Our individualism and willingness to tell someone to eff off may be seen as a hindrance to a larger geopolitical goal. This is where I'd need a tinfoil emoji...

Chris

User Tag List