Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Checkmate 320 magazines

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I am floored by the new (to me) revelation that at least to some degree Sig is packaging Mec Gar mags with LE guns and Checkmate mags with non-LE guns.
    I have a 2019 civilian market frame set that came with 3 MG magazines. In fact, I've never seen a CM magazine in my life. So, maybe it was just a batch to test waters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    I have a 2019 civilian market frame set that came with 3 MG magazines. In fact, I've never seen a CM magazine in my life. So, maybe it was just a batch to test waters.
    There are plenty of USA made (checkmate) 320 mags out there. SIG has been using a mix of CM and MG mags for years. I have some of the CM made P226 mags and haven’t had any issues with them but as noted the instructors at the SIG Armorers class were specific about MG for duty use.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    I'm over about 40 320s now with about 4-5 magazines per pistol as a certified Sig armorer. This aftermarket kit got our problematic CM USA mags back to running clean.

https://benstoegerproshop.com/sig-p3...s-engineering/

The local USPSA guys have figured out that they will only purchase MG Italian made mags and so far, I haven't heard of a failure with those. We only purchase the Italian ones now and the last order we bought was for 50 17 rounders.

Here are the issues I have seen in the last year:

1. Missing striker return spring
    2. Out of spec magazine release
    3. Three severely rusted magazine releases (heavy sweaty dudes)
    4. Out of spec magazines (CM USA)
    5. Out of spec magazine spring (15 round spring in a 17 round magazine)
    6. About four out of spec extractors
    7. Out of spec take down lever safety (you had to dry fire the gun to remove the slide)
    8. Recoil spring assembly failure (about the 1000 round mark)
    9. Out of spec rear sight to where you could push it out of the dove tail with finger pressure only.

Make sure you oil your magazine catch assembly. That is the issue I saw today when one of ours wouldn't retain a loaded magazine and I was called to "come fixy".

Regards.
    So is fair to say the issue with the CM mags was limited to weak /improper springs or were there other issues?

Ours seem to have been more related to the followers.

When I lived with the 1911, the Checkmate eight round mag, with removable base pad, was my go to. I still have around thirty of them and they're great mags. On the other hand, I've found Checkmate Beretta mags to be less than stellar. Apparently, the same applies to their 320 mags. I don't understand the disconnect.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    When I lived with the 1911, the Checkmate eight round mag, with removable base pad, was my go to. I still have around thirty of them and they're great mags. On the other hand, I've found Checkmate Beretta mags to be less than stellar. Apparently, the same applies to their 320 mags. I don't understand the disconnect.
    Very tapered case versus less tapered case, combined with designing a magazine that angles rearward versus a SMG magazine which is straight or curved forward with the natural curvature of the case taper. Several militaries, including the Germans tested the Highpower and similar double column 9mm magazines prior and during WWII. With the materials and manufacturing limitations of the time, these magazines were found to be too unreliable unless field conditions were ideal and magazine springs were like new. Even into the 1970s, many organizations still found double column 9mm pistol magazines to have poor reliability and shied away from them. In the 1990s, the .40S&W was advertised as being more reliable in pistol magazines than the 9mm which for those of us that remember......9mm magazines did in fact become less reliable as the springs were broken in and got dirty. Modern springs, design, and manufacturing have made double column 9mm magazines more reliable, but if design, materials, and manufacturing breaks down then it is perfectly logical to expect problems.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I am floored by the new (to me) revelation that at least to some degree Sig is packaging Mec Gar mags with LE guns and Checkmate mags with non-LE guns.
    While used for LE work, all four of my 320's were purchase either new or used through normal retail channels (non-LE guns). All came with Italian mags, and I've purchased several mags (15, 17 and 21 rounders) individually through different retailers and all have been Italian.

Maybe I've just had a streak of fortunate dumb-luck.

Just rummaged through all mine, 19 in total all italian.

What about ACT Magazines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That begs the question actually, who does make the (J) magazines? We know that (C) is Checkmate, which is fine. I'm happy that SIG make their suppliers to identify themselves. So, is (J) ACT? Why not (A)?

User Tag List