Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Checkmate 320 magazines

I had a few P320 subcompact 12-round mags, half made in Italy and half made in USA. The USA mags wouldn’t drop, not a one. I called Sig and asked that they send me “made in Italy” mags in exchange. EVENTUALLY they said send them back so they can look at them, and EVENTUALLY they sent new Italy mags, which were fine.

Presumably the USA mags were Checkmate mags. NFW I’d buy these Shield mags. Disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Maybe try some Wolff springs in the Checkmate mags?

The issues with Checkmate mags for the P226, M14, 1911 (probably more) are always spring related.
    The Beretta 92s use a dry film coating that tended to stick in the grip every tenth mag ejection or so. Keeps those mag change skills sharp!
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I have been lucky. All of my Sig P320c mags were made in Italy. Now I know to keep it that way.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    Yup. Had some USA checkmate mags a while back with one of my 320s. Nothing but issues. Will only use Italian made one now period.

TXPO
    I attended the SIG 320 Armorers course earlier this year. They advised the LE /IOP guns are supposed to come with the made in Italy mags and they recommended sticking to the made in Italy mags for duty use.

All of my full sized P320 .45acp mags are marked "Made in Italy". I've got 2 generations of them including ones put out within the last 6 months. The P365 series mags are all marked "Made in USA", even IOP guns.

I have also noticed over the years that the P220 .45acp mags were always either made in Germany(7rd old style), or "Made in Italy" for the 8rd later model stainless ones. Sig Sauer would contract out their 9mm magazines with Checkmate in the classic line, but never in .45acp and I do not "think" they ever did with .40S&W mags.

The problem with the 9mm cartridge is the sharp case taper. This can cause magazine feeding reliability issues in higher capacity pistol magazines, especially if the engineering and quality isn't sound. I never had problems running a full auto UZI in 20rd or 25rd magazines, but as we would bump up to 32rd or 50rd magazines the reliability of the magazine got progressively worse, even with newer springs.
    Last edited by Galbraith; 11-16-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I attended the SIG 320 Armorers course earlier this year. They advised the LE /IOP guns are supposed to come with the made in Italy mags and they recommended sticking to the made in Italy mags for duty use.
    Yep, you will never catch me buying Sig Sauer products outside of the IOP program.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    They told me the same thing when I spoke with our rep prior to getting our guns in 2014. The 226s came w Checkmate mags. 229s came w MG made mags.

Fuck Sig. They’re a morally bankrupt company.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Lots of P320 magazine issues randomly popping up when folks found out a company they didn’t like was making the magazines...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wondering if Sig will have a “voluntary safety upgrade” on the “shitty” mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think I just figured something out. We have had ongoing reliability problems with the 17 round magazines that came with the new Legion, but never issues with the 21 round mags that came with the X5. The 21 round mags are marked “made in Italy,” and obviously made by MecGar. I read on SigForum that Checkmate makes 320 magazines. Sure enough, just checked the problematic 17 round magazines, and they are marked ”made in the USA,” no doubt by Checkmate.
    My first P320 came with two ”made in USA" stamped mags that the gun would not cycle over when loaded +1, even after leaving the mags full in the safe for a month. I bought 4 SIG branded "made in Italy" mags from an LGS shortly after and had zero mechanical problems for ~8k rounds. I sent the gun and original USA mags to SIG at 10k for service, and asked them to verify the problem. The gun was returned with two "Italy" mags.

User Tag List