Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 vs Beretta 92 accuracy?

1911 vs Beretta 92 accuracy?

Can anyone here that shoots both platforms, group their Beretta 92 (any variant) as good as their 1911 (any caliber)? I have only shot a 1911 on one occasion ( a week ago) in 45 ACP, 5” barrel. I shot 10 shots. 7 shots at 10 yards and 3 shots (in 10 ring) at 25 yards. Maybe it was beginner luck but I shot that 1911 better than my Beretta 92A1. I love my 92A1 and it’s not going anywhere. I can’t quit thinking about that shooting experience. This particular 1911 was the Remington R1 and was not a $3000 Wilson Combat or cheaper, but very nice Dan Wesson. So is my experience unusual or does the nice SA trigger and desirable sight radius of a full size 1911 have this kind of reputation?

I can shoot a Beretta better than a 1911 for whatever reason.

I shoot my 9mm 1911 better than my 92s.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I think I got lucky first time. Objectively, the sight radius of a 4.9” Beretta and 5” 1911 is the same. The 1911 is heavier and has thinner , single stack grip. For personal defense, my familiarity with the 92, mag capacity, etc, I prefer (at this point) my 92A1. I don’t own a 1911. But I am paying some attention to them now that a good friend has one and I enjoyed shooting it.

In my experience, my M9 and 92fs both, when new, could group handloaded 124g Speer Gold Dots (most accurate bullet I found) at just over 4" at 50 yards. Consistent sub 2" groups at 25 yards. Haven't checked their accuracy, to that degree, in a while and each pistol has had several thousand rounds fired since then.

To compare it to a "stock" 1911 is hard because just what is "stock"? If I really try hard enough, I can make my CMP Service Grade 1911 group about 6" at 50 yards with 230g ball. I had a Clarke Custom Hardball that would group just under 3" at 50 yards and owned 1911s that grouped everywhere in between.

This is all just to address pure accuracy. Whether one "shoots" one better than the other is more subjective.

Ivan, that is some awesome shooting!

1911 has a lot going for it in regards to pure accuracy shooting. Beavertail location matches up to that short inline trigger, ideal weight and balance for steadiness, plain grip shape and long front to back grip can help isolate trigger finger. Get one with tight/proper tolerances, it just builds upon that.

For me I'm not better with one vs a typical 92 in timed drills or multiple targets...but I have many, many more hours with 92's. 25+ yards precision shooting I'll do better with a decent 1911 despite not touching one for a year or two.

I shoot my Beretta 92D better than my 1911s, all of which are .45 ACP. It's ergos seem to work better for me. And 9mm is simply easier and faster to shoot.

Mechanical accuracy between the two platforms (at least with my sample size of 1 92D, 1 SIG GSR XO, 1 Colt 70 Series Repro, and 1 1911A1 Remington-Rand) seems to be roughly equal, particularly regarding the 92D and the 2 more modern 1911s.

Best, Jon

I had an LTT Elite out with a Wilson 5" 9mm and I just couldn't get the groups with the Wilson like I could with the LTT.

The LTT had a little roll to the trigger and the Wilson was glass rod. I just can't do as well with a super crisp break.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    This particular 1911 was the Remington R1 and was not a $3000 Wilson Combat or cheaper, but very nice Dan Wesson.
    This here is the complexity of your a question. A Beretta 92 is a gun made by a single manufacturer, whereas 1911s are made by dozens of manufacturers.

User Tag List