Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mindsets RE: a "Broken" Gun

Arrow

For me:

1. Buy major manufacturers gun that is proven over time by someone else. Glock for me. But there of course are others.

2. Don't buy another generation gun until it is proven. I'm still running Gen 3 Glock because, well I have two identical G26's.

3. Have a training gun and a carry gun. Run the carry gun for the first year in training.

4. Detail carry gun every year and replace any worn parts.

5. I replace my magazine springs and ammo every year and the Recoil guide when needed on the carry gun.

6. Shoot the carry gun twice a year for a total of 100 rounds.

7. On the training gun I replace the recoil guide every year and let the rest break. Free training when those mag springs get wonky, etc.

After all that if a spring breaks I suspect it was just a bad spring.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

"Attribute" rather than "contribute".
    Not "grammar Nazi-ism", just a concern for accuracy.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I'd sell it because it is a Kahr, and over a 20 year period I owned a half dozen, both polymer and steel framed, all were sold because I lost confidence for one reason or another and I found them difficult to shoot well. If the TRS breaks on one of my USP's I will chide myself for not changing it when it needed it. If it broke on a Kahr I would sell the POS....;-)

Yeah, a guy I know was involved in a self defense shooting where a guy was crushing him with a car. His Kahr 45 jammed after shot 3, but fortunately one of the other shots got the guy in the face. He sold the gun after he got it back.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

If it is a quality firearm, I repair it and move on. I don’t sell my car simply because a part on it breaks at an inconvenient time for me.

If it isn’t a quality firearm, well, my days of buying junk firearms are behind me, so I don’t have any of those anymore.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I only carry proven designs and vetted firearms. My guns and magazines are maintained and kept impeccably clean and I only feed them quality ammunition. When I was working I carried three guns and now in retirement I carry two. I feel my contingency preparations are reasonable and adequate and I really don't lose any sleep over the thoughts of something failing.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 11-15-2019 at 09:45 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I might sell a car that broke at an inconvenient time. I think comparing a firearm to a car is a bit of a misnomer. If your car broke down dramatically, before it had 5,000 miles on it, you might be a little more leery of it, right?

We're not talking a 20,000 round gun that wasn't cleaned. Just a gun that has been shot enough to confirm function and practice with it, followed by cleaning and proper lubrication.

That said, yea, I'm not feeling it anymore, I don't mind maintaining my 1911s, but I'm probably going to go back to HKs.

Only you can decide at the end of the day. Once I lose that complete trust in a firearm I send it down the road. There is nothing worse than that thought in the back of your mind whether your gun will fire or not.

Nowadays I definitely don't early adopt a new design. There are definitely certain designs and manufacturers I stay away from. However I've had parts break on quite a few guns that are considered to be durable and reliable and I have thoroughly tested. Springs definitely break and wear, so I am not very concerned about that, unless the gun exhibits a pattern of breaking the same part, that to me is a reason to send it down the road.

I’m sort of with you, @RevolverRob. This is why I have settled on a stash of Glocks, a Ruger LCR, and a whole big pile of fun guns in all flavors.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    For a machine as relatively simple and purely mechanical as a handgun, I'm not really worried about a gremlin in the machine. Now, if software, flash memory, etc. were to be introduced that might change my answer,
    I like this answer because it's rational (BTW: I'm a software developer).

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I wouldnt be overly concerned unless its a common breakage in that model and does it often.
    That's an important point.

How many trigger presses does the trigger return spring of the Kahr CW9 normally last? How difficult is replacing the spring? For comparison: Todd (the founder of this forum) recommended to exchange the trigger return spring of the HK P30 every 12.5k rounds. If the Kahr spring normally lasts at least 10k rounds, then it's fine. If it's known to break much earlier, then it's bad. I would research about the life span of that spring and decide accordingly.

Do you have data about the reliability of the CW9?

The P30 is the most frequent police pistol in my country (Germany). This and Todd's extreme test give me very much confidence in it's reliability. And I've collected data from Todd's P30 test.
    Last edited by P30; 11-16-2019 at 04:59 AM.

User Tag List