Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mindsets RE: a "Broken" Gun

Mindsets RE: a "Broken" Gun

I'm kind of particular about reliability of firearms.

By that I mean, if I cannot adequately contribute a mechanical failure of a firearm to some issue related to ammunition, a magazine, or a recoil spring issue - I get a little gunshy (literally).

Example: I grabbed the Kahr CW9 out of the pistol-safe in Texas when I flew in carry-on. I unloaded the gun and brought it up to dryfire and it had a dead trigger. After some time diagnosing I discovered a broken trigger return spring. This gun has been sitting in the safe and/or occasionally carried for the past 4-years, it has less than 2000 rounds through it.

Once this gun is fixed, I will sell it with disclosure, why? Because I never carry a gun that breaks in this manner. I can't do it/won't do it, whatever.

What is your mindset regarding a "broken" gun. Particularly one where there is a failure for no clear reason (like why is a trigger spring broken after <2000 rounds?). Do you fix, keep, and shoot on? Or do you fix and move on?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Mechanical things break.

For a machine as relatively simple and purely mechanical as a handgun, I'm not really worried about a gremlin in the machine. Now, if software, flash memory, etc. were to be introduced that might change my answer, but as of today if it's fixed I'd just vet it again and carry on. I don't think the replacement gun would be inherently more reliable then the fixed gun. I am not superstitious in this regard.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    I think you are being superstitious. The gun didn't break. The spring did. My CZ75 is on its third trigger return spring. I bought a Cajun Gun Works spring and it has lasted much longer than the two factory springs. I think I've eleminated or at least strengthened the previous weak link. I'd rather carry this pistol now after the original spring broke and was replaced with the CGW than before the original broke.

I don't carry the CZ75, but I have replaced the trigger bar in my main G19. It didn't break but the coating was defective and flaking off.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Everything mechanical with moving parts is subject to breakage. A component like a spring is known to and has failed in many firearms of various manufacturers. It is not always necessary to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Over the years I have seen Glocks with broken trigger return springs. One of my Glocks (a G23) broke the slide lock spring (old wasp waist style) and when the last round in the magazine was fired the upper flew off the gun. I've seen broken locking blocks on Glocks and a Glock with the locking lug sheared of the bottom of the barrel. In all these cases the broken component gets replaced and you get about with your business.

Inspection of components is in effect the most important aspect of cleaning a firearm, especially a carry piece.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    What is your mindset regarding a "broken" gun. Particularly one where there is a failure for no clear reason (like why is a trigger spring broken after <2000 rounds?). Do you fix, keep, and shoot on? Or do you fix and move on?
    Good question. This is why I don't like unicorn guns, or guns that are overly complicated. I want a proven track record of reliability, and I need to understand how the gun works in detail so I can identify parts that need regular replacement. This is also why I keep at least two of each gun I use seriously--one for practice and one for regular use.

It's also useful to know what the symptoms are when a part breaks.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-15-2019 at 02:01 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I wouldnt be overly concerned unless its a common breakage in that model and does it often. For all the internet hype about how bombproof Ruger SA revolvers are, Ive had more broken parts in them than all other pistols combined, which amounts to 3 transfer bars breaking in the Rugers. Ive had 1 Smith mainspring break in a K frame 22. It was sitting when it broke, and Ive never dry fired it. It just didnt work when I picket it up to go shoot it. I replaced the spring and have no concerns about Smiths in general, they are my preferred carry gun for most uses.

I dont worry about the Rugers breaking either, since I simply stopped dry firing them, which seems to be the main issue causing the transfer bars to break. Its more common than I ever thought once I looked into it.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Just last week I saw a trigger pin snap in half on a Glock. Fortunately I had several on hand and fixed my friend's Glock on the spot. Back in business. I'd hardly say that particular gun is no good. For lack of a better term it's just "bad luck".

I'd feel much better finding and replacing a broken part than having a mystery failure now and then. If a part breaks, replace it. Problem (probably) solved.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'm kind of particular about reliability of firearms.

By that I mean, if I cannot adequately contribute a mechanical failure of a firearm to some issue related to ammunition, a magazine, or a recoil spring issue - I get a little gunshy (literally).

Example: I grabbed the Kahr CW9 out of the pistol-safe in Texas when I flew in carry-on. I unloaded the gun and brought it up to dryfire and it had a dead trigger. After some time diagnosing I discovered a broken trigger return spring. This gun has been sitting in the safe and/or occasionally carried for the past 4-years, it has less than 2000 rounds through it.

Once this gun is fixed, I will sell it with disclosure, why? Because I never carry a gun that breaks in this manner. I can't do it/won't do it, whatever.

Medication can help. Is it only guns, or do you do the same with cars, appliances, or tools?

I do not get rid of guns just because a part breaks.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

It's possible that it was just a bad spring.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Some things I’ll knee jerk react and sell. Broken spring, no. Just replace it and drive on.

User Tag List