Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 640 Pro VS Kimber K6S

I just bought a used 640 Pro last week, not having seen this thread first.

Luckily, mine seems to be well-constructed and everything is right when I shoot it. It is an older one, as the fired sample cartridge envelope is marked with a 2011 date. I'm unsure if that makes a difference in QC/QA or not.

The action is very smooth and has a moderate pull weight for a J-frame. The previous owner was a long-retired 70's/80's-era cop with a ton of old-time armorer's schools under his belt, including the factory S&W revolver course, so I have to wonder if he did a little tuning on it.

My only gripe is the sight regulation. Everything I shot seemed to be 2-3 inches low. The best load was the HST Micro, which only shot about an inch low.

Speaking of which, what's the favorite source for different height front sights for these guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Horseman View Post

Luckily, mine seems to be well-constructed and everything is right when I shoot it. It is an older one, as the fired sample cartridge envelope is marked with a 2011 date. I'm unsure if that makes a difference in QC/QA or not.

The action is very smooth and has a moderate pull weight for a J-frame. The previous owner was a long-retired 70's/80's-era cop with a ton of old-time armorer's schools under his belt, including the factory S&W revolver course, so I have to wonder if he did a little tuning on it.

My only gripe is the sight regulation. Everything I shot seemed to be 2-3 inches low. The best load was the HST Micro, which only shot about an inch low.

Speaking of which, what's the favorite source for different height front sights for these guns?
    Name:  11DFC13A-8269-4410-8BF7-1AAEC9165C3A.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  9.2 KB

Site Supporter

It may be regulated for 158 grain ammo. All of my older S&W .38 revolvers, J and K frame, are.

A bit of internet soul-searching on the 640 pro reveals that a number of reviewers don’t really think it’s regulated for much of anything. Sort of like the earliest LCRs. Only, there are options to upgrade the Rugers.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    Name:  11DFC13A-8269-4410-8BF7-1AAEC9165C3A.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  9.2 KB
    I considered this, but there isn't much metal that can be removed before you run afoul of the tritium capsule.

I just bought a used 640 Pro last week...My only gripe is the sight regulation. Everything I shot seemed to be 2-3 inches low...Speaking of which, what's the favorite source for different height front sights for these guns?
    Probably the most consistently posted 640 Pro complaint; think of it as "drive-the-dot-plus".
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

FWIW 640's, unlike most j's, have a pinned front sight. There's the opportunity to try some other options or replace to stock if you mess up filing. I haven't tried other sights to have recommendations though. My 640 is consistently 3" low with anything. My other j's aren't. Gotta wonder what ammo they actually factory zero the 640's for.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    FWIW 640's, unlike most j's, have a pinned front sight. There's the opportunity to try some other options or replace to stock if you mess up filing. I haven't tried other sights to have recommendations though. My 640 is consistently 3" low with anything. My other j's aren't. Gotta wonder what ammo they actually factory zero the 640's for.
    Assuming they factory zeroed it for anything...

Standard 640 is front sight pinned (as are several other .357-rated Js), but the 640 Pro has what appear to be proprietary (or most uncommon) dovetails. If anybody knows of replacement options short of fabrication, please post...
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    Assuming they factory zeroed it for anything...

Standard 640 is front sight pinned (as are several other .357-rated Js), but the 640 Pro has what appear to be proprietary (or most uncommon) dovetails. If anybody knows of replacement options short of fabrication, please post...
    I haven't been able to source them. They aren't Novaks, or at least if they are made as an OEM part by Novak, they aren't making replacements available to the general public.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    The K6 is darn near the same size as the pro, holds the extra round, has a better trigger, and currently shoots to POI with today’s duty loads.
    We have pretty much reached the crux of the debate. Gotta be able to hit what you aim at. The 2 K6s (I know, not much of a sample) I have experience with were both drive the dot.

Carry on.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List