Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 640 Pro VS Kimber K6S

Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    The 640-P was an eye opening experience, wanting to upgrade my well carried model 60 it appeared the perfect direction to go, it wasn't. Locally none of the LGS carried it, had to be ordered and upon arrival I refused to accept the first one because of fit and finish. Interestingly the big box chain store associate stated "this is how they come", and I honestly thought this was a well handled display model, having the MOD involved he agreed to order two more revolvers from the distributor. With the three of them present I made a selection and after 500 rounds decided to send it off to a revolver expert for a overhaul (Marc@Gemini). It is much improved now and reminds me of S&W revolvers from past years. Except for pawing the Kimber's in the store and liking them never had one at the range.
    Attachment 44823

This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to avoid anything Smith.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who won't buy anything from this company.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Add me to the list of suckers that bought a 640 Pro, also had to order it as no LGS had one in stock. The dovetail for the rear sight was not machine correctly into the frame. Back it went, and sat for 2 months after enough calls and escalating finally got it back with a new frame. The trigger is stout at 12-14 lbs, reminds me of my German police issue P6. Installed an Apex spring kit and alas the weaker rebound spring made the trigger reset sluggish.

Honestly if your 442 works, I’d stick with it. I was in the same spot as you bought the 640 Pro and carry my 442. Yes there is a difference in felt recoil but not enough to inhibit me. Yes the night sights are nice but again the 442 never gave me an issue. Just my .02$. I may sell my 640 Pro and search the LGS until I find another 442 with good QC and send it out for a big dot or get a Colt Night Cobra.

Name:  11F4F3EE-43C3-47CC-9A19-00ADBAD751F3.jpg
Views: 1585
Size:  16.9 KB
    Last edited by NPV; 11-15-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    My plan is to stay with Lear Siegler generation and before. You shouldn't have to send a NEW S&W anyplace to make it true.
    Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    Add me to the list of suckers that bought a 640 Pro, also had to order it as no LGS had one in stock. The dovetail for the rear sight was not machine correctly into the frame. Back it went, and sat for 2 months after enough calls and escalating finally got it back with a new frame. The trigger is stout at 12-14 lbs, reminds me of my German police issue P6. Installed an Apex spring kit and alas the weaker rebound spring made the trigger reset sluggish.

Honestly if your 442 works, I’d stick with it. I was in the same spot as you bought the 640 Pro and carry my 442. Yes there is a difference in felt recoil but not enough to inhibit me. Yes the night sights are nice but again the 442 never gave me an issue. Just my .02$. I may sell my 640 Pro and search the LGS until I find another 442 with good QC and send it out for a big dot or get a Colt Night Cobra.

I understand the point you are making about the P6, acquired one from Lockedbreech even it has a better trigger, but definitely in the same wight class for pull.

Last edited by SD; 11-15-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post

That's a good point. I was thinking about keeping the J for occasional pocket carry and then using a stainless gun as a carry and training gun. But there's really nothing wrong with putting sights on the current J and maybe picking up another one. Definitely the less expensive route.

As a dedicated revolver carrier since 1965, a retired police firearms instructor, and one who still carries daily and has owned SP101 WC version, Kimber K6 2" with night sights, and a 640PRO. I would like to add to the conversation.

I currently own and shoot a new Colt Cobra, an Sp 101 3" and a Kimber k6s. My EDC is the Kimber stoked with Remington Golden Sabres 125 grain Mid Range 357 at 1138avg out of the Kimber. It has proven to be accurate, reliable, easy to control with the above mentioned load, rear sight is windage adjustable. It carries in holsters I had made for the 640 Pro. I use a speedloader that was made for the Colt DS and it is a joy to pack.

The 640 would never shoot to the sights and only carried five, but in all fairness it was the first of the "Super J frames" with sights and grips. Action on the 640 couldn't hold a candle to the Kimber. The SP101 WC was way undersized chamber mouths and too tight of tolerance between the forcing cone and cylinder with the cylinder rubbing after ten rounds of 38s. Sent it back to Ruger and it returned with 12 thousandeths cylinder gap on the tight side and the chambers still undersized. It went to a collector who looks at neat guns, it hangs on a wall with the 640 Pro.

The new Colt Cobra is a nice snubby, the only reason the K6 wins first up at bat is it's size. The Colt shoots to POA/POI with 135 +P and heavier weight loads. It's my back up to the K6.

Grant Cunningham oversaw the building of the K6. It's a Smith inside.

Wouldn't mind having a Night Cobra. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Zeke38; 11-15-2019 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks for the reply @Zeke38

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Kimber is releasing 4 inch versions of the K6.

Site Supporter
    I have a 442, 2 inch K6 and a new cobra. I shoot the 442 and the K6 the best. The skinny triggers on the colts make it very hard to pull it rearward with the best accuracy and not pulling it off to one side or the other. I have the same issue with the old colts. I would get rid of everything and buy more kimbers IF the safariland speedloaders worked with them. While they work with the colt HKS, the k-frame safarilands that work with the old and new colts will not work with the kimber.

While I wouldn't generally shoot .357s in a small snubbie, my kimber handled 125 magnums and the recoil wasn't that bad. IF they made an alloy version I would be all over it, much like the colt as the all steel heavy versions suck to carry on your ankle all day.

Use snap caps

Since no one has mentioned it yet. Be sure to use snap caps with the K6S revolvers during dry fire practice, then just rock on.

I broke the firing pin dry firing my K6. Kimber acted surprised but replaced it quickly and for free. Since then others have reported the same issue elsewhere. (I don't think they were really that surprised.) Otherwise, quality on the 3 I have shot has been uniformly excellent.

Having said that and owned and fired a wide array of snubbies, the K6S is the best of the bunch. The new Colt trigger is a bit better in my experience but the lack of Crimson Trace grips for Colts still makes me prefer the Kimber. This flaw bothered me a lot at first but when I found out that the Nighthawk/Korth Sky Marshal has the exact same problem I calmed down a bit. Of course, at least Nighthawk/Korth has the courtesy to warn you in the instruction manual.

The grips fit my XL (10.5-11) hands really well and assist me in the felt recoil department. The Colt factory grips feel just as good if not a little better but they lengthen the piece just enough to take it out of the pocket carry category for me. the Kimber's are shorter but chubby.
    Last edited by 314159; 11-16-2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Trying to write too precisely.

User Tag List