Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 640 Pro VS Kimber K6S

640 Pro VS Kimber K6S

I carry a 442 back and forth to work a lot. I've tried to force myself into using something else but the revolver just fits the role I need it for better than anything else. I've been considering picking up a 640 Pro for a long time now. I want something that's a little easier to shoot, has better sights, and is generally more fun to shoot over longer range sessions. I'm apprehensive about ordering one though. Smith's QC seems to be pretty poor lately.

I've looked at the K6S in the past and now that @orionz06 is talking about supporting the Kimber I've started to think that it might be a better choice over the Smith.

What are the pros and cons between the 640 Pro and the K6S? Is there anything I'm not considering or should know in advance?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Can I muddy up your thread and say I've been doing the same debate, only with a 640 Pro and the SP101 Wiley Clapp?

I know folks are having good luck with the Kimber, but it's shorter track record, lower availability of parts and aftermarket stuff, and the fact that I spent quite a bit of time trying to fix friend's Kimber 1911s give me pause.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    I also carry an Airweight back and forth to work due to its fitting the role best. Unless I handroll practice loads, the fun shooting it turns to painful chore fairly quickly.

The 640 Pro I looked at was very nice, and I was tempted, but ended up getting a good deal on a 60-9 Ladysmith for my all-steel .357 Jframe.

I don’t know the Kimber, but if I’m running a small steel revolver as a training analogue for my carry Airweight, they’re going to be the same brand for same-same controls, which is why I don’t have the SP101 I had on the counter next to the 60-9.

Were I in the market for an all steel compact round gun today, I'd be giving a hard look at the Night Cobra. Yes, the controls are different than your 442, but I personally don't think that's going to be a huge problem for you. I'd trust Colt's manufacturing process over Kimber's any day.

But, if you want to mirror your 442, then the 640 is the easy and obvious choice. Again, horror stories of S&W QC aside, I'm not sure I trust Kimber enough to lay out the money they're asking for on the K6.

If I were really serious about a small frame wheelie for EDC I would HAVE to take a flyer on the Kimber. Their fit, finish (all of several I've handled) are great, a decent number of enthusiasts here who've shot them with strong reviews . . . and that trigger! If I were serious about EDC'ing a small frame revolvers I'd want to be able to perform the very best with the shots I have and that would lead me to giving the Kimber a try. Without any expectation of guarantees in life or guns.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The 640-P was an eye opening experience, wanting to upgrade my well carried model 60 it appeared the perfect direction to go, it wasn't. Locally none of the LGS carried it, had to be ordered and upon arrival I refused to accept the first one because of fit and finish. Interestingly the big box chain store associate stated "this is how they come", and I honestly thought this was a well handled display model, having the MOD involved he agreed to order two more revolvers from the distributor. With the three of them present I made a selection and after 500 rounds decided to send it off to a revolver expert for a overhaul (Marc@Gemini). It is much improved now and reminds me of S&W revolvers from past years. Except for pawing the Kimber's in the store and liking them never had one at the range.
    Attachment 44823

If I was choosing from scratch, knowing what I know about both guns at this point, I’d actually get the Kimber, as a one-and-done heavy/compact carry gun. This is coming from a guy who has typically been a big J-frame fan for years.

The K6 is darn near the same size as the pro, holds the extra round, has a better trigger, and currently shoots to POI with today’s duty loads. As to "proven," I’m just not so sure. If someone is carrying an early 90’s 640, that’s "proven." The current production J line doesn’t seem any better than Kimber for needing return trips to the factory.

JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    The 640-P was an eye opening experience, wanting to upgrade my well carried model 60 it appeared the perfect direction to go, it wasn't. Locally none of the LGS carried it, had to be ordered and upon arrival I refused to accept the first one because of fit and finish. Interestingly the big box chain store associate stated "this is how they come", and I honestly thought this was a well handled display model, having the MOD involved he agreed to order two more revolvers from the distributor. With the three of them present I made a selection and after 500 rounds decided to send it off to a revolver expert for a overhaul (Marc@Gemini). It is much improved now and reminds me of S&W revolvers from past years. Except for pawing the Kimber's in the store and liking them never had one at the range.
    That is similar to my experience. Ordered a 640 Pro from KYGunco.com and it had an entire manufacturing step skipped - the front of the yoke where it abuts the inside of the frame was never fitted to the frame. It was left very rough and with a substantial interference fit. It was possible to apply enough force to deflect the yoke backward and get it to close, but the frame was damaged. Sent it back and CS had their gunsmith inspect another one before shipping it to me; it was the same. I got a refund. I believe they then did a 100 percent inspection of their inventory and sent most of them back to Smith, as the sale on their website was ended immediately.

I later ended up buying a 640-1 police trade-in for quite a bit less money.

If the OP is looking for a training analog for his carry 442, a standard 640 snub is the way to go. Shouldn't take too long to find one, and everything is the same except for the weight. Same holsters, grips, loaders, sights, etc.

Between the 640 Pro and a Kimber, I'd pick an SP101. At least Ruger fixes guns when you send them back; I'm two for two on S&W failing to do that. If Ruger made the SP in .327 with a 5- or 6-inch barrel, I'd have one already.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-15-2019 at 01:49 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I carry a 442 back and forth to work a lot. I've tried to force myself into using something else but the revolver just fits the role I need it for better than anything else. I've been considering picking up a 640 Pro for a long time now. I want something that's a little easier to shoot, has better sights, and is generally more fun to shoot over longer range sessions. I'm apprehensive about ordering one though. Smith's QC seems to be pretty poor lately.

I've looked at the K6S in the past and now that @orionz06 is talking about supporting the Kimber I've started to think that it might be a better choice over the Smith.

What are the pros and cons between the 640 Pro and the K6S? Is there anything I'm not considering or should know in advance?
    I've got a 640 Pro, 2" K6S, and 3" K6S. The K6S would need a different set of sights, but otherwise takes the cake between the two models.

I need molds machined, all current avenues are backlogged longer than I'd like.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Can I muddy up your thread and say I've been doing the same debate, only with a 640 Pro and the SP101 Wiley Clapp?

I know folks are having good luck with the Kimber, but it's shorter track record, lower availability of parts and aftermarket stuff, and the fact that I spent quite a bit of time trying to fix friend's Kimber 1911s give me pause.

I get what you're saying but the 101 is pretty big pistol compared to the 640 or K6. The K6 has been out for twoish years now and I haven't heard of any big issues yet. Not saying they're not out there but compared to the recent experiences with Smith I think they are good to go. I've also seen a couple of Rugers recently that had issues with forcing cone clearance.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List