Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: New Lee Automatic Processing Press!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Another video Lee added. This one showing primer pockets being swaged.

https://vimeo.com/380371581

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Gee, I wish I could borrow one of those for about 3000 licks.
    Don't see a continuing need after processing my supply of TZZ 86.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Graf's finally has the deluxe model in stock, mine is shipping today.

More info (actual times)

So I've got about 1500 cases through this thing so far, and I finally put a stop watch on the process yesterday, turns out my guesses were pretty good. Loading the case feeder takes 30 seconds, and of course, you have to do that for each batch regardless of process. So far, I've only used it with .45 ACP cases, a full feeder holds 76 cases, so the times are based on that batch size. And BTW, it IS possible for a case to end up in the feeder upside down, but it's not frequent at all, I had it happen twice in about 1000 cases.

Decapping and flaring take right at 2 minutes each to run a batch, I haven't timed resizing yet, but it should be close, I'm going to call it 2.5 minutes. So starting with clean brass, one batch will take about 8 minutes to decap, resize, and flare. Of course, that's not how I'd do it, I'd run each process on all available cases, switching dies as appropriate. That works out to almost 600 rounds per hour, but I'll call it 500 to allow for time spent changing dies and resting the hand. From here, I'll still need to prime, charge, seat and crimp, and I really don't have a good handle on how long that will take, looks like the stopwatch will be getting some more exercise . Obviously, it's going to bottle neck the process going back to handling each and every case multiple times, but getting the tedious part of the prep speeded up is all to the good. And although I prime with a hand tool, that's almost free time, I can do that while watching TV in the evenings. Still very happy with this purchase, and so far, it continues to be nearly flawless in operation. Later.

Dave

I am planning to get this for primer pockets, mainly 223 but might run 9mm through it if it is easy. I bought some really cheap 9mm cases that I typically could seat in the Dillon, but some are leaving high primers that wont slide up the breach face, and these are polluting the huge bucket of cases. I might get one of these and swage the 9mm as a precaution.

But, I have a Dillon Swagger and it is nice, and I rigged up a little shock cord arrangement that tosses the case into a towel that drains into a pail, but this would be a bunch better, mostly for 223.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I am planning to get this for primer pockets, mainly 223 but might run 9mm through it if it is easy. I bought some really cheap 9mm cases that I typically could seat in the Dillon, but some are leaving high primers that wont slide up the breach face, and these are polluting the huge bucket of cases. I might get one of these and swage the 9mm as a precaution.

But, I have a Dillon Swagger and it is nice, and I rigged up a little shock cord arrangement that tosses the case into a towel that drains into a pail, but this would be a bunch better, mostly for 223.
    That was actually my primary purpose for ordering it, but it's really working out well for pistol loading, so that's getting all the attention for now. I do have the primer swage kit, but it'll probably be awhile before I give it a try. Slick rig, especially at the price, I don't think you'd regret getting one. Later.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post

I just bought one, for decapping and removing primer pocket crimps..I have a Dillon Swager, but I found that there is a difference in the thickness in the web of the cases, some will go right in the Dillon swager, others will not even start into the swager, I though it might be a burr in the case leftover from punching the flash hole, but even after removing the burr, a lot of 5.56cases I have won’t go in the swager unless forced..Hard. The Lee swaging die looks like a better set up, as the rod comes down fro the top the press, and the swaging button is on the bottom of the press, so no matter what the thickness of the cases web is, it’s going into the press, and the primer pocket is going to get swaged... I have roughly 2-3000cases that were given to me that we’re very dirty, grungy cases, Luckily I have stainless steel pins, and I used those to clean the cases up, they came out looking new, inside and out, my plan is to get the primer pockets swaged, and then resize, trim, run them through a vibratory tumbler with some crushed walnut to remove the sizing lube, and put them in storage..

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I just bought one, for decapping and removing primer pocket crimps..I have a Dillon Swager, but I found that there is a difference in the thickness in the web of the cases, some will go right in the Dillon swager, others will not even start into the swager, I though it might be a burr in the case leftover from punching the flash hole, but even after removing the burr, a lot of 5.56cases I have won’t go in the swager unless forced..Hard. The Lee swaging die looks like a better set up, as the rod comes down fro the top the press, and the swaging button is on the bottom of the press, so no matter what the thickness of the cases web is, it’s going into the press, and the primer pocket is going to get swaged... I have roughly 2-3000cases that were given to me that we’re very dirty, grungy cases, Luckily I have stainless steel pins, and I used those to clean the cases up, they came out looking new, inside and out, my plan is to get the primer pockets swaged, and then resize, trim, run them through a vibratory tumbler with some crushed walnut to remove the sizing lube, and put them in storage..

Thanks for the info on the Lee.

Just a thought on your process. Maybe tumble to get most of the range dirt off first. Then lube and size and swage. Last step is the stainless media. That will yield brass that is clean and shiny even in the primer pockets.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Thanks for the info on the Lee.

Just a thought on your process. Maybe tumble to get most of the range dirt off first. Then lube and size and swage. Last step is the stainless media. That will yield brass that is clean and shiny even in the primer pockets.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Well, one thing I have also found, is that tumbling the brass after processing in the stainless pins, the pins, ding the mouths of the nicely trimmed cases up pretty well.I prefer to use walnut to remove the lube as it doesn’t damage the case mouths, and only takes about 20-30 minutes at the most.. I found all of this out the last time I processed a large batch of 5.56 cases.. Basically what happens is the case mouths will loose the sharp, clean face they have out of the trimmer, the pins round that square face off,and ding it up, the cases can still be used, and it doesn’t seem to affect anything.. I Just don’t like it, So now, they go in the walnut to clean the lube off.. When loading them on my 650, I install a universal decapping die in the tool head, where the resizing die would normally go, this assures that and media stuck in the flash hole, gets punched out.. Generally, I don’t use the pins very often, only when I get some really dirty, grungy brass. Usually I wet tumble them with dawn, and water, no pins, they come out pretty clean, and you can tumble more..
    Last edited by ralph; 03-19-2020 at 05:28 PM.

Site Supporter
    I just ordered one of these to speed up swaging a BUNCH of 223 brass I have on hand. I have high hopes. Will provide feedback. I plan to prep a lot of 223 brass while social distancing.

I finally got my APP set up, and running, due to space constraints on my already crowded bench, I opted to buy the reloading stand for it, and for what I want, it’s perfect..Setting the press up wasn’t difficult, the feed mechanism is made from plastic, so a bit of finesse is needed when dealing with these parts, once set up and adjusted up for the most part, it works..I’ll have to admit, for swaging primer pockets, this does just a good of a job as my Dillon swager, and as I mentioned above, thickness of the cases web doesn’t matter with that APP, once the case is in the press it’s getting swaged. The case feeding isn’t quite perfect, and I may need to adjust it up more, but it does work,I can’t run them through as quickly as Lee’s videos show, but it is quite a bit faster than my Dillon swager, in that respect, it’s worth what you pay for it, especially if you’re like me and looking at bucket full of cases that need swaged.. I figure if the APP can do all the cases I have waiting for it, and not have any parts break, then it’s good to go..

User Tag List