Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Lee Automatic Processing Press!

Another video Lee added. This one showing primer pockets being swaged.

https://vimeo.com/380371581

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Wow, look at all this Lee stuff I didn't know existed. I really like how they keep making pretty good stuff for a very good price. Thanks for bearing with my virtually complete ignorance in this thread.

Attachment 44831
    One of those rattled above my head for three years when I wore out a Pro1000 getting into IPSC and IDPA in the mid 90s. It worked. That case feeder may have been the feature I most enjoyed about the Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    One of those rattled above my head for three years when I wore out a Pro1000 getting into IPSC and IDPA in the mid 90s. It worked. That case feeder may have been the feature I most enjoyed about the Pro.
    Simple but worked well most of the time.

When I was a kid my dad had a can of 700-X. I don't remember if it was 5 or 8 pounds but he had it for years. Then we got a Lee Pro 1000 (and later a Hornady Pro-Jector) and then can was soon turned into 45 Auto. 4.2 grains with a 200gr LWSC.

Good memories...

No shipping notifications yet for anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    No shipping notifications yet for anyone?
    Still says PreOrders:
    Name:  PreOrders.JPG
Views: 726
Size:  24.4 KB

Here's a video I found linked off the Brian Enos forum.

The case feed operation seems to stick a couple times while depriming but overall it seems to be working well. Swaging looks pretty smooth.

I wonder if the swage itself is adjustable.

https://youtu.be/AWvLhe9GkYc

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

https://youtu.be/Vc96wXb2hAs

Got mine in about a week or so ago, finally set it up so I could play with it yesterday. Had a bunch of .45 ACP brass that needed processing, started with the Lee Universal Decapper. Worked slick, once I figured out what it wanted for lube on the case feeder, I decapped quite a pile in 15 minutes or so, and that was with the single case feed tube and needing to reload it every 19 cases. I've since placed an order for the Lee Universal case feeder and collator, should speed up the process even more. Started resizing on my Rock Chucker, after the APP, it felt really slow and clunky, so I switched to the APP. Again, big increase in speed, and it wasn't much more effort than doing it on the RC. Redding carbide die, BTW.

I actually bought this thinking I'd probably use it just for swaging crimped primer .223, I have a 5 gal. bucket full, but now I think it's going to be my primary press for most of my pistol loading. For bullet seating, I just need to pull the spring for the case feeder and it becomes an ordinary single stage press, not sure if I'll be able to put it back on for crimping, I suspect the case feeder will tend to load them upside down, but we'll see. Early days for sure, but so far, I'm really happy with the purchase, especially at the price. Most of the automation parts are plastic, so durability will be a question mark for awhile, but it seems to be a well thought out, well built piece of equipment. It certainly moved Lee up in my estimation by quite a few notches. Later.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
    Got mine in about a week or so ago, finally set it up so I could play with it yesterday.
    Thanks for posting your initial experiences. Please keep us updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Thanks for posting your initial experiences. Please keep us updated.

So here's your update . Got the case feeder in a couple of days ago, this thing is really going to speed up the process! As before, with the single tube, each one holds about 18 .45 ACP cases, but I can now fill 4 tubes in less time that I could do one before. And it's simpler, instead of having to feed each and every case into the tube, you just drop a handful into the collator, give it a shake, and watch the cases drop into the tubes. Haven't actually put a stop watch on it (yet), but call it 30 seconds or so. From there, it takes another couple of minutes to run them through whatever process I'm on, be it decapping, sizing, or flaring. Sizing takes slightly longer, and I still haven't tried bullet seating, but soon.

Have learned a couple of techniques running it. First, use silicone spray on the case feed parts, I tried dry lube first and it didn't work. Doesn't need much, and it lasts awhile, I've run at least 500 cases through it since my first lube and it's still going strong. A little case lube also helps when sizing, even with carbide, it reduces the force required by a noticeable amount, and I think it speeds it up, too.

Second, make sure the case feeder spring isn't twisted the wrong way, if it is, the spring will want to move to the right (wrong) side of the little attachment ring on the machine, and it will end up short stroking, if it works at all.

Finally, a regular rythm with a little pop at the stops seems to work best. Cases drop into the feeder well, it centers well, and they head on down the chute the way they should. Limp wrist it and you'll have problems .

So I continue to be impressed with this little machine, I'm hoping to have some uninterrupted time to actually run a batch start to finish so I can time it, but that may still be awhile, the honey-do list is pretty daunting at the moment . It's still a lot more brass handling than running a progressive, and a lot more handle strokes for each completed cartridge, but for someone that's only run a single stage press, the production capacity is impressive, this is just a guess, but it's looking like 200-300 rounds per hour should be doable with pistol ammo. Personally, I prefer doing each operation separately on a batch of ammo, less to keep track of, and I think it's a better process choice if you're likely to get frequent interruptions in that process, which I do. I'm thinking that this will even make 9mm worth the time despite the current low cost of 9mm ammo.

Guess that's about it for now, will update again if something new comes up. Later.

Dave

User Tag List