Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: New Lee Automatic Processing Press!

Name:  Full.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  29.2 KB

Well, I filled my first bottle with spent primers so I am probably "qualified" to comment more at this point.

This thing is cool, as cheap as they are I might end up with another one.

I mainly bought it to swage primer pockets, but am thinking of other things to do with it. For decapping and swaging 9mm it just rocks. I currently have a mounded full 5gal bucket of brass I am working my way through. A while back I bought a bunch of fired cases really cheap, and they were all heavily crimped, and now all of my brass is poluted with them. So I think I am going to work my way through this bucket and then decide if I need to do it, or subsequent loadings could just be fine, once the main batch is vetted (I hope I live long enough, there is a shitload... J/K).

This morning's experiment was to trade the decap die for a sizing die. As fast as it is, it seems a little goofy to me to run something through there just knocking the primers out. I also recently had a Lee 9mm die separate the carbide insert from the body, so I bought a new one (and put it in the press) and then used JB Weld to glue the original one back together. Since the primers will be out, I am trying the idea of lubricating the 9mm cases, if I can size them with not much more effort than decapping it will make things effortless when loading. So far I have done it without tumbling, but am going to try a batch I ran in the F.A.R.T. for a quick 30min, if you were really frugal you could probably do this with just water. This also makes it simple to catch a case with a stone in it without disrupting the indexing on the 650. Also when a case sizes too easy it is probably a 380 and it is easy to pull it out.

At least for 9mm I think the 25 pound swaging guidance seems a bit like a bunch, I set it for lighter.

So far I got it flying for 9mm but 5.56 seems a little more touchy to get right. Another problem is I have been trying to size the cases without expanding the necks and the recommended punch is a little too thick. I plan to experiment with something with a little smaller diameter, I think coupled with a bit less pressure might be an OK balance.

This thing might displace my 550, maybe. I am starting to think the 650s will be doing all the 9mm, 5.56, 300BO, 38, and 45 I will need, and do I really need to load 357 and 44 rpogressivly? Especially if I can size, decap and flare in an APP? If I ever do actually get a 10mm or 38 Super will I need to load them progressivly? I went ahead and ordered the extra shell holders, but they are back ordered.

I am experimenting a little on what bench height this thing needs to be on. If it were just decapping it could be clamped to the armrests of an Adirondack chair...

^ very informative write up.

I think the machine is very useful for what it was designed for. I got mine to process a bucket and change of .223 and 5.56 brass. I’m decapping and resizing on a single stage, (or more precisely, my LCT in single stage mode), trimming with the Lyman EZ trim kit, then a run through the APP before wet tumble, dry, dry tumble.

I don’t think it’s all that useful as a reloading press; it’s more of an added bonus to a machine that will decap, then swage your brass for fast(ish) and cheap(ish).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    ^ very informative write up.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    I think the machine is very useful for what it was designed for.
    I don’t think it’s all that useful as a reloading press; it’s more of an added bonus to a machine that will decap, then swage your brass for fast(ish) and cheap(ish).
    The weirdest thing about it might be trying to categorize it. I wouldn't get rid of my Rockchucker, lots of good memories but also not so good memories trying to crank out 100 rounds the morning of a match with it. If I could turn back time I would have much rather been ripping through sizing and flaring a bunch of pistol cases with the APP, and I might today for lower volume stuff like 357 and 44 (10mm and 38 Super maybe someday), saving a setup changeover on a progressive (I ordered the shell holders for 38/357 and 44). If a person was starting out I would probably come up with an alternative priming setup but seating bullets on it might be fine.

Also, I like the spline lock collars, and bought a changeover kit for the Rockchucker. I had the Hornady system for it but this way I can pop something that is setup for the APP right into the RC, might be handy.

I bought it to swage. but if you are going to decap to swage I am starting to think maybe that creates an opportunity to size pistol cases with lube. Today after I quit being shy with the lanolin (no case necks to dent, spray away!!) I was sizing almost as fast as just decapping. Might make loading them a smoother, more relaxing process. I may make my way through this 5gal bucket of 9mm brass and never do it again, but it is a fun little tool, and a bargain.

At this point I have sized every 9mm case I have on hand, including those I just shot today, estimated by weight to be about 12.5k of them. Am of the opinion that lubricating the cases makes it really nice, I never really considered 9mm to be difficult to size, but if I am going to deprime in order to swage it makes it a lot easier, loading these cases should be a breeze. After these are loaded I will have to decide if I will go through this again. My main motivation is to run all my brass through the swage process, but once I do it once I will not need to worry so much about crimped primers.

Dealing with 223 is being a little more fickle. Since I have the 9mm working so well I went ahead and bought a second APP (they are so cheap. And cute...) so I can have a separate one for 223. I have been making two passes in the 650, once to decap and size the case but not expand the neck. Then I trim and on a second pass expand the neck (with a Squirrel Daddy pin) right before it gets charged. This means the neck is too small for the swaging rod, and I just bought a couple extras to experiment with getting them turned down.

@bruceride and I also got the Inline Fab roller handles. They seemed like a good idea but after installing I say they are a great idea, I think it makes the thing even faster!
    https://inlinefabrication.com/collec...-lee-app-press

Have been working with the APP setup to swage .223/300BO using the Dillon case feeder. I bought this piece of tubing and a few U-bolts. This setup is Revision 1.0 and a little goofy, I ended up with the pole too close to the handle and had to adjust my grip on every stroke, so I just canted the press on the bench a little. Still making sure it does what I want before I worry about perfecting the mount. And so far it does!

A friend helped me grind one of the punches a little smaller so it would fit through the neck that has been sized, I have not been going with what I perceive to be the recommended 25 pounds of pressure and it looks like it is swaging adequately.

I took one of the provided Lee tubes, cut it in half, heated one end with a lighter, and flared it on the neck of a 243 case, and put it into the Dillon tube.

Name:  APP with Dillon.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  28.0 KB

BTW, the other day I got a notice of this combo deal:
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...wage-kit-combo

I already have my two...

Site Supporter
    So, I go in bursts on this. Process a 5 gallon bucket at a time and don't touch it for a while.

I recently put an inline Fab roller handle on it and proceeded to start swaging, since the factory nub isn't the best setup for doing bulk in this.

The handle is mounted on one side only, and the torque applied twists the sheet metal arms. I'd imagine it would be fine for decapping, maybe for sizing lubed cases. Don't buy this product for the Lee APP if you are looking at possibly swaging.

I found that Titan Reloading has the actual Lee roller handle in stock, and promptly ordered that one.

Other than that, one day I'll setup a Dillon Case feeder to this sucker, but in the mean time, the funnel/multi tube setup is doing pretty well. I've jarred most of the screws loose, including the guide rods, but a bit of locktite and it's good to go. I give it a quick spray with Hornady One Shot case lube and it runs smooth for several weeks. I'm a fan.

Site Supporter
    I load a lot of 223/5.56. I am using the APP purely to remove crimp from 5.56. For me, this is the best solution I have found. It is mounted on the corner of the loading bench i and run 100-200 5.56 through it and then head to the Dillon 550 to load. I have dramatically reduced the issues priming.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I recently put an inline Fab roller handle on it and proceeded to start swaging, since the factory nub isn't the best setup for doing bulk in this.

The handle is mounted on one side only, and the torque applied twists the sheet metal arms. I'd imagine it would be fine for decapping, maybe for sizing lubed cases. Don't buy this product for the Lee APP if you are looking at possibly swaging.

I found that Titan Reloading has the actual Lee roller handle in stock, and promptly ordered that one.
    I agree, and I have been using mine by keeping my hand near the bar on the handle, but kept thinking there should be a better way. Watching the thing while I used it (boring task, plenty of time to study it...) I wondered if tying the flat portions together might help and today I tried it. I had a 1/4-20 tap handy so I even tapped the hole, and then added the nut:
    Name:  Extra Bolt.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  16.5 KB

Not perfect, but a SIGNIFICANT improvement. When I bought my Inline Fab handles the Lee option was scarce, the Lee part should be superior but this sure stiffened up the basic arms.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I agree, and I have been using mine by keeping my hand near the bar on the handle, but kept thinking there should be a better way. Watching the thing while I used it (boring task, plenty of time to study it...) I wondered if tying the flat portions together might help and today I tried it. I had a 1/4-20 tap handy so I even tapped the hole, and then added the nut:
    Name:  Extra Bolt.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  16.5 KB

Not perfect, but a SIGNIFICANT improvement. When I bought my Inline Fab handles the Lee option was scarce, the Lee part should be superior but this sure stiffened up the basic arms.
    Nice! I got the Inline fab for the same reason - I'm not going to ditch it until the Lee handle proves it's point, but having the leverage applied within the steel arms should solve the issue. It might also let me run with a long acrobin without hitting my hand.

User Tag List