Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: New Lee Automatic Processing Press!

I’m going to look into using my Dillon casefeeder on this Lee App, others have already done it.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’m going to look into using my Dillon casefeeder on this Lee App, others have already done it.
    I'd guess it would be pretty straightforward. Is the case feed tube on the Lee the same diameter as the Dillon?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I'd guess it would be pretty straightforward. Is the case feed tube on the Lee the same diameter as the Dillon?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Due to my bench setup, I’m thinking something like this:

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/mrbul...ension-adaptor
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    So it sounds like 99% of owners are using the App for sizing and/or depriming and swaging. Is @RevolverRob the only fellow loading with the App so far?
    Nope, I'm using mine for everything except priming, 9mm and .45 ACP. When I get to bullet seating and crimping, I remove the case feeder just to get it out of the way, then swap the feed through shell holder for a standard one, makes it easier to get the case positioned properly. Slot on the out-feed side, the shuttle pushes the case out on the upstroke, and I place the next one as I start the down stroke. Goes really fast once you get the rhythm figured out. Once all the seating is done, I switch to the crimping die and repeat. Slowest part is charging the cases with powder and setting the bullets on top, actually running a batch of 100 takes less than 5 minutes. Later.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
    Nope, I'm using mine for everything except priming, 9mm and .45 ACP. When I get to bullet seating and crimping, I remove the case feeder just to get it out of the way, then swap the feed through shell holder for a standard one, makes it easier to get the case positioned properly. Slot on the out-feed side, the shuttle pushes the case out on the upstroke, and I place the next one as I start the down stroke. Goes really fast once you get the rhythm figured out. Once all the seating is done, I switch to the crimping die and repeat. Slowest part is charging the cases with powder and setting the bullets on top, actually running a batch of 100 takes less than 5 minutes. Later.

Dave
    That's a damn good idea Dave; I like it.

I realized last night I do NOT like the middling level of "crimp" that the bullet seating die gives me in .38/.357, at least with 158-grain SWCs - so I have to order a factory crimp die. No big deal, these rounds aren't getting shot anytime soon, but if I put them through a lighter gun, I would almost certainly get crimp jump.
    __

Are you using Lee dies, Dave?

I need to order .45 ACP dies and I'm debating on whether or not to go Lee or move up to a micrometer-type seating and crimping setup. I'm already kind of "meh" regarding the qualitative settings on Lee dies (though I can obviously control length, by doing test runs and measuring with my calipers).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

I need to order .45 ACP dies and I'm debating on whether or not to go Lee or move up to a micrometer-type seating and crimping setup. I'm already kind of "meh" regarding the qualitative settings on Lee dies (though I can obviously control length, by doing test runs and measuring with my calipers).
    The Lee factory crimp die is a must have for me, but I've never used any other types of dies aside from a RCBS 38/357 set whose decapping die promptly snapped, leading me back to Lee.

My .41 and .45 handloads are both very accurate (given my current ability to shoot groups) using Lee dies. Probably about on par with most factory ammo depending on if my gun likes it.

I use calipers to get the OAL I want and set it in place with a marker line to ensure the settings stay the same.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I just dropped some more coin at Inline Fab on this little press.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I use calipers to get the OAL I want and set it in place with a marker line to ensure the settings stay the same.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Great minds.

I literally just took my die and marked a witness line on the barrel with a sharpie, screwed the adjusting screw all the way down, witness marked it and then backed it out to get where I wanted OAL and wrote down my number of turns and measurements.

If anyone is really wondering - the adjusting screw on a Lee seating die in .38/.357 is ~1.5mm per full turn for seating depth adjustments, with full-length sized .38spl brass. Yes, I said millimeters, because caliper measurements are taken in millimeters in my house, since my calipers are used for both scientific and nerd hobby work, I only own metric calipers, so I never mix Imperial and Metric calipers up.

PS: Best thing about VV's reloading app is that the tables are adjusted to reflect your preferences in units. So, I can convert everything to grains, but keep OAL in mm.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    That's a damn good idea Dave; I like it.

I realized last night I do NOT like the middling level of "crimp" that the bullet seating die gives me in .38/.357, at least with 158-grain SWCs - so I have to order a factory crimp die. No big deal, these rounds aren't getting shot anytime soon, but if I put them through a lighter gun, I would almost certainly get crimp jump.
    __

Are you using Lee dies, Dave?

I use the Lee Carbide FCD for 9mm and .45 ACP. I've tried setting up my seating dies to seat and crimp, I just don't get the consistent results I'm looking for, so I live with the extra step. My 9mm dies are RCBS carbide, my .45 ACP is Redding, also carbide. And despite using carbide, I still give them a light spray of Hornady One-Shot before resizing, it just makes the whole process smoother/easier, especially with the APP. Oh, and I decap with a Lee universal decapping die. Don't use a micrometer seating die for handgun ammo, I set up a dummy cartridge using a micrometer to set length for the different bullets, then use that to set my bullet seater on later loads, double checking with the mike to verify OAL. I also plunk test in my pistol barrels, just to be sure they work in MY guns.

Despite the higher cost, I've kind of standardized on Redding dies, to me, the juice is worth the squeeze . I do have micrometers for my rifle dies, but both my bolt guns are precision shooters, so it's worth it to me. That said, I also have a set of RCBS small base .223 dies which I used for AR loads early on, if I continue to use them at all, it will be just for my Ruger Mini 14. The 9mm dies were an early purchase, I'll probably eventually figure out an excuse to replace them with a Redding set . Hope that helps.

Dave

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I just dropped some more coin at Inline Fab on this little press.
    I am very interested in what you got

User Tag List