Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: New Lee Automatic Processing Press!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Sorry. I meant use the gauge to set the swage depth not to individually check each case. Checking each case would be terribly inefficient.
    Ok, that makes a lot of sense. I will check on whether or not I can adjust swage and report back. It’s a neat little press, I just need to get the case feeder set up, but it’s been a productive few hours setting it up and running it.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Ok, that makes a lot of sense. I will check on whether or not I can adjust swage and report back. It’s a neat little press, I just need to get the case feeder set up, but it’s been a productive few hours setting it up and running it.
    I am slightly confused by Lee's offerings.

I see they sell a basic press which I assume is exactly that. The press itself and a handle. No dies, shell holders, etc.

Then there's a kit with the automated kit. This appears to be the sliding case feeder, a couple shell holders and just one case tube. Is that correct?

Seems odd that Lee isn't selling the four tubes and little four tube receptacle as part of the automation kit. Heck even the Pro 1000 includes the four tube assembly.

Anyway, this is how Lee says to install the case feeder. The only other piece needed then is the collator. Just add a handful of brass and give the tubes a few shakes and the cases will orient and slide down the tubes.

https://youtu.be/ddNh6YIOoIA

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I am slightly confused by Lee's offerings.

I see they sell a basic press which I assume is exactly that. The press itself and a handle. No dies, shell holders, etc.

Then there's a kit with the automated kit. This appears to be the sliding case feeder, a couple shell holders and just one case tube. Is that correct?

Seems odd that Lee isn't selling the four tubes and little four tube receptacle as part of the automation kit. Heck even the Pro 1000 includes the four tube assembly.

Anyway, this is how Lee says to install the case feeder. The only other piece needed then is the collator. Just add a handful of brass and give the tubes a few shakes and the cases will orient and slide down the tubes.

https://youtu.be/ddNh6YIOoIA

You got it, and I don't get why they don't offer a kit with the 4 tube feeder and collator, either, it really makes the system much faster and user friendly. One thing to watch for if/when you do get the 4 tube feeder and collator, you almost certainly WILL get the occasional upside down case, but as long as you're not going Mach 5 and looking elsewhere, it's not a huge issue. The bigger issue is nested cases, like .40 in a .45 or .380 in a 9x19 . Guess I need to come up with a better sorting technique . Problem with those is they'll hang up, then shoot out, which can dump an unprocessed case in your collection bin. And of course, that only happens near the end of a run, not when the bin is nearly empty . Everything has its quirks, but I'm still really happy with my APP. Later.

Dave

So it sounds like 99% of owners are using the App for sizing and/or depriming and swaging. Is @RevolverRob the only fellow loading with the App so far?

I assume most of us have other presses so the main attraction is probably the swage option. I know that's what attracts me.

I currently swage on a Hornady LNL AP and it works well but it does require some parts changing to configure for swage. It would be nice to have the little Lee to size and deprime 308 on and then swage on the Hornady. After this the cases would go into the wash.

Only thing not readily do-able would be trimming.

EDIT--it should be possible to trim on the App using the Lee Quick Trim and a cordless drill, no? Pull the handle down out of the way. Insert drill with blade and trim. Take drill off and lift handle. Cases should advance through the machine and into the catch bin?

Did the videos show up for you guys to watch?
    They did, thanks! Are you using carbide dies or did you lube up?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    They did, thanks! Are you using carbide dies or did you lube up?
    I used cleaned brass, but with decapping and swaging, I don’t think there’s any contact with the walls of the case; both operations only contact the primer area.
    #RESIST

All owners of the Lee App, I’d like to compile a cheatsheet of your configurations for each caliber.
    #RESIST

All owners of the Lee App, I’d like to compile a cheatsheet of your configurations for each caliber.
    What kind of info are you thinking?

I’ve been thinking of starting a reloading journal to chronicle both my loads and the work to set the APP up as a do-all press.

I just primed 50 cases using the ram prime. While it certainly wasn’t “fast” it actually was very quick overall and smooth. Took me 15 minutes to prime and that was with me double checking each primer when I set them into the ram prime to confirm they were oriented correctly. If I got into a nice rhythm I could see priming ~200 rounds in a hour this way. Being somewhat of a control freak I kind of like this approach.

I used cleaned brass, but with decapping and swaging, I don’t think there’s any contact with the walls of the case; both operations only contact the primer area.
    OK, I was thinking you were resizing while decapping
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    OK, I was thinking you were resizing while decapping
    Nah, that’s for the 650
    #RESIST

User Tag List