Thread: Pulldown powder

Pulldown powder

Do you feel good about buying pulldown powder where all you have to go with is the weight of the charge found, the bullet weight and cartridge?

CALIBER: .308
    PROJECTILE: 150 Grain Soft Point
    AVERAGE POWDER CHARGE: 46.1 Grains
    PRODUCT: Extruded
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Double post

If it’s cheap buy as much as you can.
    It might be 54r powder which is gtg in 308 or 5.56
    Then just load to the velocity you want and don’t push it to the upper limit for the cartridge.
    2750 for a 150gr .308 should be doable for almost every powder and it’s M80 spec.
    3k for a 5.56 you can use almost any from fast 4198 to slower powders.
    I learned long ago to stock up on pulldown bullets powder or cases when it’s available.

I've used quite a bit of pull down from various sources over the years. Jeff Bartlett, Hitech Ammo, American Reloading, etc. In only one instance did the powder turn out to be radically different from what it was supposed to be. In this case the powder was sold as something close to H110. In reality it turned out to be something much faster. I ended up using it in 9 mm, mostly.

One powder that was common for awhile was WC842. Several places sold it as being similar to CFE 223. In reality the stuff seems to be closer to H335 or even H322. Some people were starting out at the low end of CFE 223 data and were having pressure issues right off the bat.

The moral of the story is to start very low and work your way up slowly even if the seller says the powder is close to Brand X or the previous charge weight was such and such grains.

User Tag List