Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: New Lee Automatic Processing Press!

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    The shell plates apparently don’t have enough grab for 9mm either. The first die, which is about ten years old, made it I think nine cases before I got a stuck case. The rim was pretty disfigured but I was eventually able to get the casing out. The second attempt was a new in package die. That made it a whopping three casings before the case was stuck. Still haven’t gotten that one out.
    I can understand your initial hate, but the thing can be a pretty cool tool.
    I know @RevolverRob did a lotta sizing, but that may have been 38 or 357, I think the taper of 9mm presents an additional challenge, part of the reason I am considering going back to preprocessing my 9mm.

Are you wet tumbling? If so, there are other discussions on just how darn clean the cases get, and how much friction that creates.

My process was to give them a quick wash, just to remove dirt and mud from range brass. I would let them dry overnight, but they really do not need to be dry because the concern about hydraulic dents is not a factor with straight cases. Then I would lube them with the home made lanolin lube, it really takes very little. After that step I would tumble them for good, making them as shiny as fishing lures, and it would still be easy to progressively load them, since they are already sized. And since they do not have the primers in them they dry quickly, without bothering with the heater.

How are you working to get the stuck cases out? Many companies offer something like this, but you could fashion something like it by using one of your sockets and a washer, you will just need a tap and a drill bit. Also, I do like Lee dies, and stuck cases are one of the reasons:

Hope some of this helps, once it is clicking the dog gone APP can just rock and roll through a bunch of cases.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I can understand your initial hate, but the thing can be a pretty cool tool.
    I know @RevolverRob did a lotta sizing, but that may have been 38 or 357, I think the taper of 9mm presents an additional challenge, part of the reason I am considering going back to preprocessing my 9mm.

Are you wet tumbling? If so, there are other discussions on just how darn clean the cases get, and how much friction that creates.

My process was to give them a quick wash, just to remove dirt and mud from range brass. I would let them dry overnight, but they really do not need to be dry because the concern about hydraulic dents is not a factor with straight cases. Then I would lube them with the home made lanolin lube, it really takes very little. After that step I would tumble them for good, making them as shiny as fishing lures, and it would still be easy to progressively load them, since they are already sized. And since they do not have the primers in them they dry quickly, without bothering with the heater.

How are you working to get the stuck cases out? Many companies offer something like this, but you could fashion something like it by using one of your sockets and a washer, you will just need a tap and a drill bit. Also, I do like Lee dies, and stuck cases are one of the reasons:

Hope some of this helps, once it is clicking the dog gone APP can just rock and roll through a bunch of cases.
    All of my cases are already wet tumbled — I did that with my brass in anticipation of receiving the press. I had not considered that clean brass would cause additional friction. To be clear, you are not lubing before resizing/depriming — just rinsing?

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    All of my cases are already wet tumbled — I did that with my brass in anticipation of receiving the press. I had not considered that clean brass would cause additional friction. To be clear, you are not lubing before resizing/depriming — just rinsing?
    No, I am lubing before sizing, the first rinse is just to keep extra dirt out of the size die. If it was revolver brass I probably wouldn't bother.

ETA: I did the rinse with little or no soap, so they were not super-duper clean. But it wouldn't matter, the lanolin is literally, and that is a literal use of the word literally, slick as snot.

Also, my memory is fuzzy (it has been some time ago) but were there some universal shell holders and some that are cartridge specific? I could be wrong/misremembering/FoS on that, but the thought is nagging me.

ETA:
    Rinse with water
    Dry a little
    Lube
    Size and deprime
    Wash (sometimes I would run a short time and change the water, the lanolin seems to dilute the soap and citric acid, and I love it when they shine)
    Last edited by mmc45414; 07-29-2023 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    This sounds like the press wasn't setup with the correct shell plate (or one that's out of spec), not a problem with the press itself.
    No, he’s right, the auto-feed just doesn’t work well.

I don’t actually care; I bought mine for simple reloading for 9mm and .45 Colt and it works great, but I did try the auto-feed just for fun and was not impressed.

I should try using the APP with my bolt action 223 brass. It doesn't expand like brass in an AR, and I only bump the shoulder back 2 thousandths. With good lube it barely takes any effort to size.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List