Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: New Lee Automatic Processing Press!

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Maybe I just haven't got the hang of this yet, but I'm underwhelmed with reliability on this. Feeding from the case feed tube, I was averaging 2-3 "failures to feed" on each tube of 18 cases. Any case even slightly out of round will slow down the drop of the round in the tube, and frequently causes hang ups where no case drops onto the claw. The claw "misfires" (doesn't open) about once every 20-30 tries, and doesn't feed the case cleanly under the resize die (drops it off short) about the same frequency. All told, in about 1800 rounds, I probably had 200+ issues that caused me to stop operations, manually clear the issue, and restart.

I'm open to suggestions on how to fine-tune this thing to get better functioning, I'd be happy to hear it.
    Post your setup as is in pictures, I can help you.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Post your setup as is in pictures, I can help you.
    Also, need a picture of a typical malfunction.
    #RESIST

So here's a hypothetical for those like myself who'd like to have a trim option.

It doesn't sound like a Dillon trim motor will fit into the top of the press. Or more correctly the handle won't clear the motor. So what would happen if the trim motor was placed in the bottom of the press? Could a shell holder adapter be put into the top of the press? This would mean the trimmer would hang upside down and the cases would be plunged down into it. Obviously the case feeder system wouldn't work so cases would have to be manually inserted.

The other thing I kind of wonder about is the vacuum manifold. Would it fit underneath?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    So here's a hypothetical for those like myself who'd like to have a trim option.

It doesn't sound like a Dillon trim motor will fit into the top of the press. Or more correctly the handle won't clear the motor. So what would happen if the trim motor was placed in the bottom of the press? Could a shell holder adapter be put into the top of the press? This would mean the trimmer would hang upside down and the cases would be plunged down into it. Obviously the case feeder system wouldn't work so cases would have to be manually inserted.

The other thing I kind of wonder about is the vacuum manifold. Would it fit underneath?

Probably an easier answer would be to fab a new sheet metal handle for each side that is longer and bent to clear the motor. This would also have the effect of slowing the feed rate into the trimming unit.

Here's another Dillon-ish trimmer. This one appears to have a motor that's a smaller diameter than the factory Dillon motor or the Bosch router. Maybe it will clear the new style Lee handle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174198291168

So has anyone else found changing cartridges a bit of a PITA? I originally set mine up with .45 ACP, worked great, then reset it for a bunch of 9mm. Went back to .45 ACP, had some issues that took awhile to sort out, mostly just an adjustment to the shuttle jaws opening wide enough. Still, a bit of a hassle, and now it has me hesitating to set it up for .223. I have a 5 gal. bucket full that needs decapping and swaging, as well as a bunch that just needs decapping. That said, I decapped several hundred last night using my FA hand decapping tool, that's NOT a viable option when the quantity will run into the thousands . So I guess I'm just going to have to go for it.

LittleLebowski, it seems you're ahead of the curve with this thing, any tips specific to .223/5.56? Oh, and what are the details on that washer mod to the case feeder? I'm still getting the occasional upside down shell case, not a biggie, but it is irritating, and anything that would reduce it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
    So has anyone else found changing cartridges a bit of a PITA? I originally set mine up with .45 ACP, worked great, then reset it for a bunch of 9mm. Went back to .45 ACP, had some issues that took awhile to sort out, mostly just an adjustment to the shuttle jaws opening wide enough.
    Can different sets of jaws be bought so they can be adjusted and left set for whichever cartridge is being used?

Can different sets of jaws be bought so they can be adjusted and left set for whichever cartridge is being used?

It's an easy adjustment, so not really a big deal. But since I hadn't made any changes (that I remember) since my initial run of .45 ACP, it caught me off guard. I had to play around with the shuttle to figure out exactly what the problem was, then refer back to the instructions to solve it. There's only 2 jaw sizes, one for cases and one for bullets, both are easily adjustable, once you get it through your head that they need adjusting . Considering how inexpensive these things are, it might almost be worth owning multiples, with each one dedicated to a specific cartridge. In my case, I'd only need 3, even with the extra case feeders, I'd still be under $200. Hmm, might have to think on that some more . Later.

Dave

Here's another Dillon-ish trimmer. This one appears to have a motor that's a smaller diameter than the factory Dillon motor or the Bosch router. Maybe it will clear the new style Lee handle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174198291168

The below is in regards to the trimmer for sale on eBay. Note that there's no vacuum manifold. Rather, the seller supplies a clear plastic window that slides over the vacuum port cuts in the die. This should allow the user to set the blade/case relationship visually as well as make the motor's overall footprint smaller. The plastic window would have to be removed every so often so all the chips could be cleaned out. In this regard the design is not unlike the Giraud.

I sent the seller a message via eBay to ask if he thinks the trimmer will work with the APP and the new upcoming Lee roller handle. Here's what he says:

"Yes, with that handle I am confident it would clear. Max diameter is 1.655" Height to top of motor plug is about 8". The harness is a little taller once attached, but wires can be bent a bit as needed.

This press type would be uniquely suited to our trimmer, short of a switch mount. Our pending switch mount would be perfect, but it might be a few weeks before they are in production. Having said that we could supply one as soon as they are. Very simple mount- 3/16 (4" x 1.125 tapered) hot rolled steel, with 7/8 hole on one end, 15/32" on the other end rounded, two 90 degree bends and parkerized. The design may change slightly after testing though.

If you like to tinker, as many handloaders do, it might be possible to find a spot to make the switch bump on automatically- which would be especially slick."

And this as a follow up:

"I think I found a problem with this plan.

The APP uses a spring to hold the tool head up, and the spring rides on a third (black) guide rod. This guide rod looks like it would hit the motor as the press is actuated. The fact that they are using a proprietary die lock ring to me says it won't clear off the shelf conventional hex lock rings- which point to point are generally about 1.25". Since our trim motor is 1.655" the rod would hit it.

You could potentially remove the rod and spring, but then it wouldn't rest in the upright position, and you'd probably want to swap it back in for other operations adding setup time.

Sorry."

User Tag List