Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: New Lee Automatic Processing Press!

For those wondering - Because the APP is my only press - I am working on getting it to do everything.

Here is the Ram Prime setup on an APP. It basically functions just like a normal ram prime, except the cartridge case moves down, instead of the prime moving up.

Name:  C2B64332-5F1A-422E-9EB1-B7F14D76C709.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  38.9 KB

And here is how I rigged up my powder measure (Lyman Brass Smith). This took more finagling, because the powder measure is designed to be stationary and the cartridge moves up. And because of the APP’s handle design, you cannot throw it over the measure. Here, I basically set the measure up as high as possible and then I move the handle a bit and lower the measure directly over the case and drop the charge, directly in. It is kind of ugly, but it does work.

Name:  28BB173C-D1F4-487F-9CE4-6F031A7D96C7.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  38.7 KB

Name:  1F2D4F48-84E6-45FB-9870-C511ED68D30E.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  30.8 KB

ETA: My images suck right now coming off the iphone and are downsampled a bunch. If you want high-res images of anything, send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I'm using this one and am pretty happy with it.

https://leeprecision.com/ergo-prime.html

I've used hand priming tools from Lyman and Hornady and the Lee seems to be the best. Is it perfect? Nope. The tray needs to be bigger especially when using large primers. I also don't really like the folding tray itself and wish Lee would go back to something with its own lid. The tool might also work a little easier if the squeeze handle was a bit longer to give more leverage while seating.

Anyway, what I do is squeeze the so the new primer is lifted to about flush with the shell holder. Then I slide the case in and prime it. This allows me to glance at the primer as it comes up to make sure it isn't sideways or upside down. I have primed probably 5,000 223 cases this way and have only lost a few primers. And those have been mainly from transferring them from the box to the tray.

I haven't used this tool but it looks like the same body with a lever added. It isn't a "hand" tool but I imagine a person could screw the tool to a board and then set the assembly across his lap while watching TV. This might be a good option if someone has bad arthritis.

https://leeprecision.com/lee-auto-bench-prime.html
    I'm very happy with bench priming (in my case the RCBS one). It holds a tube of primers and works well.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Here is the Ram Prime setup on an APP. It basically functions just like a normal ram prime, except the cartridge case moves down, instead of the prime moving up.
    I think you'd be much happier with an off press tool. The Ram Prime works okay but it is slow. Nice job of getting it working, BTW.

And here is how I rigged up my powder measure (Lyman Brass Smith). This took more finagling, because the powder measure is designed to be stationary and the cartridge moves up. And because of the APP’s handle design, you cannot throw it over the measure. Here, I basically set the measure up as high as possible and then I move the handle a bit and lower the measure directly over the case and drop the charge, directly in. It is kind of ugly, but it does work.
    I wonder if there's room up there for Lee's auto disk powder measure. It would be activated by the case as the measure is lowered and would speed things up for you. Same traffic for the Auto Drum.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I think you'd be much happier with an off press tool. The Ram Prime works okay but it is slow. Nice job of getting it working, BTW.
    I'm thinking so too. I stashed the RCBS bench version that LL showed in my Amazon cart.

I wonder if there's room up there for Lee's auto disk powder measure. It would be activated by the case as the measure is lowered and would speed things up for you. Same traffic for the Auto Drum.
    I was looking at that yesterday and thinking the same thing.

I have yet to touch a primer with this setup, but yes I have a box of gloves right next to the press right now!

___

I looked at hand primers, but a lot of folks don't seem to like the new Lee version - and I got mixed reviews on the Frankford Arsenal and RCBS tools. Anyone have one they really like?
    I actually have 3 different hand priming tools, the Hornady, the RCBS, and the Frankford. The Hornady is trash, only thing it's good for is target practice. Lousy ergonomics, mediocre feeding consistency, and just a general PITA to use. The RCBS is good, I'd still be using mine if I hadn't gotten my FA. That has become my favorite priming tool, mostly for the ability to dial in the same seating depth all the time. Doesn't actually feed as well as the RCBS, nor does it do as good a job of flipping primers, but it feels good in my hand, and it comes with a full set of shell holders, and it works well with small primer .45 ACP brass. As always, YMMV, later.

Dave

These guys used to make a machined steel and aluminum version of the Lee hand prime but I'm not seeing it now. I guess it has been discontinued in favor of this:

http://www.xxicsi.com/super-precisio...ming-tool.html

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Man, I have A LOT of .38spl brass. More than I thought I did. I’ve decapped half a M240 ammo can full of brass and have the same amount to go. I should have kept count. But, I guess I’ll count it when I prime it.

I mounted it to a piece of 2x8" and then using some lag bolts I mounted a couple of L-brackets for a deck onto the 2x and it worked out perfectly to set between the peg holes in my harbor freight work bench. So, I just slapped a couple of 3/4" bolts through the peg holes and the l-brackets and boom, portable reloading stand. I didn't even have to cut my wood...couldn't have gone better if I planned it.
    That might be the solution I end up using, what's the length of the 2x8"? It looks like it might be 2x8x8"?

What I'm thinking is I can cut identical bases for the APP, Classic Turret and my Forster Co-Ax, mount the brackets the same and drill 1 set of holes in my workbench so I can mount any of them in the same place. Since I'm not trying to match existing holes, I could mount 4 brackets per base and make it strong like bull...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    That might be the solution I end up using, what's the length of the 2x8"? It looks like it might be 2x8x8"?

What I'm thinking is I can cut identical bases for the APP, Classic Turret and my Forster Co-Ax, mount the brackets the same and drill 1 set of holes in my workbench so I can mount any of them in the same place. Since I'm not trying to match existing holes, I could mount 4 brackets per base and make it strong like bull...
    I went with the Inline Fabrication Ultra Mount (spendy but nice), but I kind wish I'd gone with the far more economical Lee Bench Plate. If I were you, I'd take a serious look at it. Like most Lee stuff, it's cheap, but probably works fine. It fits all Lee presses.

$20 at Brownells but out of stock, you can backorder.

$40 at Amazon, instant gratification.
    #RESIST

I was looking for that at Midsouth and never could find it, thanks! I'll add it to the list since I started "The Great Garage Clean Out and Org/Reorg of 2020" last night and getting anything set up will be a while.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List