Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: School Shooting in SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I think there is probably some substance there when 26 out of the 27 deadliest mass shooters came from fatherless homes. It is a societal issue that really began to take off in the late 1960s. The likely cause? A combination of sexual liberation and LBJ's "Great Society" programs that allowed women to leave marriages without a total loss of financial security and, unfortunately, actually gave them financial incentives to have more children out of wedlock.
    So it’s all on the women, and not on the absent fathers, or the fathers who made leaving the marriage seem like a good idea?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    So it’s all on the women, and not on the absent fathers, or the fathers who made leaving the marriage seem like a good idea?

There are just as many women who leave as men. They get bored or feel under appreciated etc and pop smoke. Either way it is usually people who are selfish and put their happiness over that if their kids.

One parent households impact kids regardless of which parent is missing.

You are also assuming all start in a marriage in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    No, but it was an unintended consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Except the demographic is 31% of US population and makes up 60% of the prison population.

As of 2016 69% of children under age of 18 live with 2 parents:
    https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres.../cb16-192.html
    I was unable to find how they defined those terms but I would consider “broken home” as divorced or non cohabitating parents. If a step father or mother counts in the living with two parents Category then I would consider that a different situation than the “broken home” that was quoted in the 60%. Regardless, I do believe a two parent household without abuse is a much better system to raise children than a single parent. While that may be the case I do not believe it is helpful to associate a large number of non mass shooters with the rare mass shooter. I also think income levels are much more correlated to poor outcomes than any other metric. From my time in DCS and criminal court poverty and a lack of opportunity seemed to be practically universal. I also know that I saw adults from wealthy families who got to violate probation several more times for failing drug test, picking up new charges, or both relative to poor defendants before being revoked to serve their sentence. I was in a ruralish white area so I never really picked up on race being a consideration but financial and familia status definitely seemed to have an impact.

My thoughts on the real problems are income inequality to a certain extent and a lack of social mobility as the main problem. Many people are born with the deck stacked completely against them and then when they make a mistake, as many kids do, due to their socioeconomic status they they become even more disadvantaged versus more affluent children who made the same mistakes. Also, I believe growing up where there is little opportunity to better your situation real, and perhaps even more importantly perceived, creates feelings of defeat and resentment that can become a self fulfilling prophecy. I believe there is a serious problem with an economic system that creates billionaires off the backs of labor that is paid so little they have to be subsidized by US taxpayers in order to survive. I feel such a system needs quite a bit of tweaking at a minimum. Also, the economic stress of being paid so little certainly contributes to a lack of parenting and marital troubles. I will acknowledge that some people do manage to make it out of bad situations. Those individuals are celebrated and they should be but a few exceptions do not mean it is feasible for all or even a plurality.

To return back to my original topic of stigma. A major portion of my gripe with the blanket grouping of no father and drugs legal or illegal was in relation to the legal drug portion. I was diagnosed and treated for ADD for a brief time as a young child before I stopped taking my medicine due to negative views from society that I picked up on. After about 25 years of being emotionally miserable and under performing socially, educationally, and professionally I have resumed treatment and it has made a huge difference in my emotional and work life. My wife’s encouragement and seeing my young son start down the same path is what motivated me and clued me in that maybe I really do have a problem and that ADD/ADHD aren’t complete bullshit as I was led to believe by a likely well meaning but not properly informed society. I have to say society because I can’t pin point any individual or individuals that had an impact it was simply the vibe I picked up somehow. I completed undergrad and law school without treatment so I don’t think I will get another shot at seeing how education would be effected but my guess is that would have turned out a lot better as well. Given my experience I do not think it is wise or helpful for people without any training or real understanding of those types of issues to discourage others from seeking and obtaining help that might make the difference between a miserable existence and a fulfilling life because a tiny minority of people with issues got some help but still committed mass murder despite that help.

Greg Ellefritz has an analysis of The Saugus High School Shooting up at Active Response Training.
    Three off-duty cops were dropping off their kids when they heard shooting and responded. No doubt the MMQBs will be telling us this was wrong...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Apparently the shooter used a gun assembled from parts which the anti-gun groups are now calling a "ghost gun."

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/ca.../21/id/942739/

We now know the next likely target of gun control.

Already illegal in Ca.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Apparently the shooter used a gun assembled from parts which the anti-gun groups are now calling a "ghost gun."

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/ca.../21/id/942739/

We now know the next likely target of gun control.

User Tag List