Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Unbelted Backpacks (Rucksacks)

I prefer no pockets. Adds weight where I don't need it and you always find stuff to put in those pockets. I prefer bare minimum when it comes to packs and stuff I need to carry.

For the daka pouches I label them for the stuff I need, medical, tech, dopp, etc. Works well this way and you can carabeaner them all together.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I tend to prefer for the bag to have some organization. The challenge with using pouches like Daka - they simply fall to the bottom/push the bag out. That's why I strongly prefer to have a loop lined interior so pouches can be fixed in place. I like Vertx take on that.
    My most used EDC/Travel bag is Gen 1 Vanquest Trident. I tried a number of different packs, but keep coming back to it because it has enough organization and space for my needs when it comes to work commute and plane travel.

Banned
    The main reason I even carry a pack at work is because I carry winter and rain gear every day regardless of the season. I like the pockets because I can put all the winter stuff in the main pocket and the daily stuff in the outer pockets. I have enough space to carry a 40 oz Hydro Flask in one of the pockets of the pack. All of my "emergency" stuff is in another pack that stays in the car.

Working as a security guard my workspace has always belonged to the client company. It has never been considered to be "my" space and it has never been considered private. My current "office" is a company vehicle that is subject to search at any time. As a result I don't leave personal belongings of any kind at work. I make it a habit to keep my personal things on my person or in my car at all times, so even my pack stays in my car at work.

I've worked with people who brought so much stuff to work it was like they were moving in and I never understood why. I had one coworker who would bring a 21 qt. cooler with a week's worth of sandwich makings, a Lunchmate cooler, an IPod, a portable DVD player, two cell phones, portable speakers and God only knows what else to work every day. It's probably just as weird but I make it a point to keep all my stuff on me so that I could leave work and never come back at any given time.
    Last edited by Cypher; 11-20-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Hammertime
    Updating:

I returned the Scree.
    Trialed several Syniks for years, ultimately got rid of them.

Found the Osprey Transporter 30 to be the sweet spot for the last coupe
    years.

I really prefer to have the option for a belt. I add a removable simple nylon 1.5”
    belt to the Transporter when I hike or bike longer distance and use the belt to hold a Safepacker with G19. When I travel I lose the belt to keep the exterior more slick.

I haven’t bought a bag in a couple years? But my interest in rucking has increased and the GoRuck Rucker Long range 33L looks like just the ticket. They suckered me in with good design, and a much lower price than a GR2 so I am giving it a try.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I prefer no pockets. Adds weight where I don't need it and you always find stuff to put in those pockets. I prefer bare minimum when it comes to packs and stuff I need to carry.

For the daka pouches I label them for the stuff I need, medical, tech, dopp, etc. Works well this way and you can carabeaner them all together.
    Absolutely. The minimal interior organization is a feature I originally regretted but eventually found to be a key to the versatility of the Scree. I have the 32 and I use it for weekend trips to visit the mother in law, hiking in UT, a daily flight bag, and fly fishing in MT, etc. This week, I'm in Dallas and packed a weeks worth of outfits along with a pair of dress shoes; using it as carry-on luggage I didn’t have to check anything.

Hammertime
    I obtained a GoRuck Rucker - Long Range 33L a couple weeks back.

It is essentially a cheaper, heavier GR2 with a place for ruck plates. It was on "sale" for $225 at the time, but my goodness GoRuck's sale prices are still extravagant.

It weighs a heavy 5.3lbs empty, but the build is super burly.

It fits cheapo Amazon ruck weight plates well, and wearing it with ruck plates is really quite comfortable except for the weight. They don't bash into your spine at all. I took the lower pad out of the ruck pocket which opened up a little space inside and I don't notice any difference in how the weight is carried.

There is good hydration system access if you use that.

My clip on belt fits to the Molle on the sides for those times that I want a belt, which is mainly when biking to work.

I like it so far. It can easily haul 40lbs or more, and certainly does not feel fragile. My usual load is 15-25 lbs, but I have used it on the stair stepper with 45lbs. What a great work out!

I find the shoulder straps a bit on the wide and stiff side, but it is not a huge issue. There is a lower back pad that feels strange, but not obnoxious or irritating, just strange.

The bag and zippers were really stiff on arrival, but with maybe 15 hours of carry including an hour in the rain, it has started to soften up. I expect this to get better still by a lot.

Organization took me a bit, I settled on putting most little sundries and a file organizer in the front pocket. I use the main pocket water, food, bike tools and clothing layers, as well as ruck plates if desired. The exterior slash pocket is pretty worthless when the bag is loaded at all. I don't have a need for the multiple side mesh pockets in each main pocket, but I like the two small compartments at the top of the front main opening. I have always been more of a top loader pack guy so a fold flat pack is a new experience. Sometimes I like it sometimes I am annoyed with all the zipping up and down.

The grab handles are very useful. Especially as weight increases for in and out of car, and general tossing it around.

33L seems big and it is a bigger pack, but this is what it takes to hold all my winter gear for a bicycle commute. I generally wear a lot of layers going in at 20* and shed them to the pack at 50* going home.

Overall I like it. Rucking seems like a great, low impact work out. The pack handles 45lbs weight beautifully.

The downsides are: weight (overbuilt is heavy), too much molle and crazy steep price.

I would consider a GR2, but not for $400 clams, and where would I put the ruck plates. This is a nice do all pack for me.

I've tried the GR1 several times (bought and sold) and just cannot get past the lack of water bottle pockets. Even the side Molle attachment points are crummy. Those bags are so high quality, though, that they keep sucking me back in.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca10 View Post
    I've tried the GR1 several times (bought and sold) and just cannot get past the lack of water bottle pockets. Even the side Molle attachment points are crummy. Those bags are so high quality, though, that they keep sucking me back in.
    I have seen water bottles holders that attach with Molle, could that be an option? What is it you dislike about the side attachment points?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I have seen water bottles holders that attach with Molle, could that be an option? What is it you dislike about the side attachment points?
    Yeah, I tried one of those (HSGI, I think), but it pulled away from the main pack at an angle and got hung on brush while I was hiking. First-world problem for sure, but I have a bag obsession and keep searching for The One.

As a rucking bag, they’re unbeatable. They’re useful as an EDC bag as well.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca10 View Post
    Yeah, I tried one of those (HSGI, I think), but it pulled away from the main pack at an angle and got hung on brush while I was hiking. First-world problem for sure, but I have a bag obsession and keep searching for The One.

As a rucking bag, they’re unbeatable. They’re useful as an EDC bag as well.
    Okay I understand and can see how that would be annoying. This is a wide pack and a bottle holder makes it even wider.

The last couple years I have really appreciated having a relatively slick pack exterior without things to hang up on stuff. As a result I only carry a bottle inside the pack either in the main or a small dedicated pocket. It does mean dropping the pack to get a drink, and I am rarely thirsty enough to bother and just drink before and after an activity.

User Tag List