Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unbelted Backpacks (Rucksacks)

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    HPG has a pack coming out that’s a bit bigger than the Tara. I’m guessing it’s between the Tara and Umlindi in size.
    It is. It's called the Junction and it should be out Soon™.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    I like the idea of the scalability of the Umlindi/Aston Pocket/Recon Belt set-up. I had considered that or the Aston House Back Country as a compliment to the Tara.
    The AHBC is a pretty big pack. I've been considering buying one as an overnight/weekend bag, as it's just small enough to use as a carryon.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

That reminds me I need to list my specopsgear backpack for sale as I've switched back to my smaller Camelbak. I found that having a bigger backpack I would just try to carry more so going smaller makes me be more picky about what to carry.

I'm a fan of HPG products as well. I have a Tara and Aston BC.

The Tara is pretty small. Really only a day bag for me when hunting. Water bottles push into the internal volume of the pack and a 2L bladder seems to take up most of the internal space. Definitely not going to overnight with that thing.

The AHBC is a great pack. When paired with the belt it handles weight very well. Last year I did a 50 mile ruck with a 40lb AHBC in about 17 hours. No issues from the pack. I've also done a few overnight trips with hammock camp gear out of it. For airline travel the straps and belt tend to smack everything and get in the way. Plus it's completely out of place on a dude wearing business casual.

Still, for work, daily commute, and air travel I much prefer my GR1 due to its trim profile, lack of straps hanging everywhere, and comfort for beltless carry. I've gone up to 25 miles in a day with the GR1/Rucker and a 40lb load. If your shoulders can handle it you'll be fine.

The reality is I like different packs for different jobs. GR1 for everyday travel and HPG to live out of in the woods.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    HPG has a pack coming out that’s a bit bigger than the Tara. I’m guessing it’s between the Tara and Umlindi in size.
    I regret not picking up a Highlander when those things existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    I regret not picking up a Highlander when those things existed.
    The replacement is the Connor, because "There Can Be Only One."

When I was doing the comparisons I basically needed a larger urban assault pack. That pack does basically everything I need I just need it in the 30-35L range and that's basically the scree with a few other modifications.

The solid frame backer in the scree makes the pack feel like it's floating on your back and I've legitimately worn it for about 16hrs straight with 30-40lb (consumable water weight) and while it was painful it was not GR1 painful. The first 3-5 hours is a breeze.

Anyway, Id highly recommend checking it out. There's no other pack on the market that I could see from my personal research that'll cover what this does.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Hammertime

Unbelted Backpacks (Rucksacks)

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    When I was doing the comparisons I basically needed a larger urban assault pack. That pack does basically everything I need I just need it in the 30-35L range and that's basically the scree with a few other modifications.

The solid frame backer in the scree makes the pack feel like it's floating on your back and I've legitimately worn it for about 16hrs straight with 30-40lb (consumable water weight) and while it was painful it was not GR1 painful. The first 3-5 hours is a breeze.

Anyway, Id highly recommend checking it out. There's no other pack on the market that I could see from my personal research that'll cover what this does.
    Thanks for the encouragement I ended up ordering one because they are getting a little hard to find. Went S/M due to 16” torso measurement.

Also I found out the suspension system on my old Linchpin is actually a Mystery Ranch design licensed by Camelbak for that pack, which gives me some confidence in it.

I am interested in the modifications you made to make it a bigger Urban Assault?

Will update.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 11-16-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement I ended up ordering one because they are getting a little hard to find. Went S/M due to 16” torso measurement.

Also I found out the suspension system on my old Linchpin is actually a Mystery Ranch design licensed by Camelbak for that pack, which gives me some confidence in it.

I am interested in the modifications you made to make it a bigger Urban Assault?

Will update.
    Two big things is remove the belt and make sure all the straps are cinched tight. Too much will play gives me strain.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Mystery Ranch also came out with 2 Day Assault pack - which may fit your needs.

User Tag List