Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unbelted Backpacks (Rucksacks)

I like the layout of the Vertx EDC ready pack a lot but I wish there was a 2000 cubic inch version of it. I'm seriously considering upgrading to the Eberlestock X41 or X41. I have an Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 which is very comfortable but you really need to add molle pouches to get any type of organization (if you don't want just a big cavernous main compartment).

I'm a backpack whore who's always looking for a better mousetrap as far as packs go. I've owned pretty much every pack made, at least the quality ones, and have been buying custom packs since the 90s. After many years of using them I've settled on the following for general purpose everyday packs:

1. Goruck GR1: It doesn't seem like it would work well but it actually does for everyday use. I don't "ruck" but the pack has a great feature set for everyday use. I have owned both the 21L and 26L and they both work but I prefer the larger of the two. They are made really well and have lifetime warranty which I've used (my fault) and they keep their end of the bargain. I like the fact that it has structure(its not just a limp sack), has a laptop compartment that is also very handy for keeping documents from getting crumbled up, it opens all the way, it has just the right amount of pockets, and it's slick without a lot of straps to get caught on stuff. The grab handle on top is excellent and its comfortable on the back but can get a little warm in the summer as it's solid with no mesh(the downside of being built like a brick shithouse). My GR1 also has the Field pocket installed which I use for my phones and smaller items. These were made in the USA but I've heard that they are farming some stuff out so I don't know now.

2. Mystery Ranch 3 Day pack: I've owned a few of these over the years and I've found them to be extremely versatile. Mine does equally well in an EDC capacity, hunting and operationally. They are slightly large for EDC but compresses down well and are extremely well made and comfortable. The pocket layout is great and they have a waist-belt which tucks away and disappears but actually has lightly padded "wings" instead of just a strap (so it actually works). The neat thing about this pack is it holds a lot of stuff if needed....you can fit a lot more stuff than you think in it. I also use Mystery Ranches' Stick It cargo tail for carrying extra stuff and wet stuff. The only downsides I have found is it's a little large (but again it compresses really well) and it's not real good for holding file folders or documents. Made in the USA if you get the Berry Versions.

3. London Bridge Trading LBT-1476 / Eagle 3-day pack / Atlas 46 backpack: My old standbys. This basic design came about in the early 90s, they were first marketed by Eagle and LBT and have been copied by many. I've used these designs since the early 90s and they are simple, work very well, are comfortable, hold more than you would think, and can be found for reasonable prices.

4. Crye Precision AVS 1000 pack: I originally purchased this pack for work to carry my PPE (gas mask), NODs and other misc stuff while in full kit. Then I started using it for mountain biking, hunting, and as a general EDC pack. These appear to be small packs until you start stuffing them with crap and you will find they hold a bunch more than you would think. They have minimal MOLLE(only on one side) and a stretchy external water bottle sleeve on the side. Very comfortable and well thought out pack. It ain't cheap but hey, its Crye and made in the USA.
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 11-19-2019 at 03:39 AM.

Hammertime
    The Scree 32 arrived super fast yesterday and it is an impressive pack. It isn't what I am looking for for daily carry though, mainly due the lack of interior organization.

However, I like it enough I am keeping it for day hikes. It is a huge step up from my current day pack set up. And I will likely use it belted.

The Dad Bag Thread got me interested in Tom Bihn Bags, and it seems what I am looking for in this application will be covered by the Synik or Brain Bag.

https://www.tombihn.com/products/syn...15334842400831

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...nt=48688348999

Site Supporter
    A buddy at work just ordered and received his BB. It is well organized, well built and will likely last forever. Be advised:

1. It is a big bag. Its "footprint" is every bit as big as an old school Eagle Industries 3DAP. It is every bit of the 35L or 36L as advertised.
    2. The Cordura is a little stiff and therefore noisy right now. I suspect that will abate as he uses in.
    3. It's 200 plus shipping and tax.
    4. It is not a particularly good looking bag relative to others on the market given the asymetrical nature of the mesh sleeve only one external pocket
    5. I have mixed feelings re the water bottle retention system. It consists of two adjustable straps and a sewn seat that the bottom of the bottle rests in. A tapered Yeti bottle was not optimum as the bottom could not get thru the cinched top strap and the bottom strap was so far let out that it almost came unbuckled. If you are going to used the system, I would find a bottle shape/dimension it likes, cinch things down and make sure I had a few extras of that exact bottle i.e. 32 oz Nalgene?
    5. Unless you need the room, I would consider going with something a bit smaller though both the TB Synapse 25 and the Syniks are more expensive.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 11-19-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    A buddy at work just ordered and received his BB.
    What is the make/model of "BB" ?

Site Supporter
    BB= Brain Bag

Sorry for not being clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    The Scree 32 arrived super fast yesterday and it is an impressive pack. It isn't what I am looking for for daily carry though, mainly due the lack of interior organization.

However, I like it enough I am keeping it for day hikes. It is a huge step up from my current day pack set up. And I will likely use it belted.

The Dad Bag Thread got me interested in Tom Bihn Bags, and it seems what I am looking for in this application will be covered by the Synik or Brain Bag.

https://www.tombihn.com/products/syn...15334842400831

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...nt=48688348999
    Depending on what type of stuff you need compartments for, Magpul daka pouches work well.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Banned
    When the shipping company moved out of their warehouse they had a cleaning crew go through the employee locker room and clean out all the lockers. They threw everything they found in a dumpster out back.

I found this (Embark Jar Top)

On top of the pile. I cleaned it out, took it home and washed it and I've been using it ever since. I thought it was a great pack until I saw this thread.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    A buddy at work just ordered and received his BB. It is well organized, well built and will likely last forever. Be advised:

1. It is a big bag. Its "footprint" is every bit as big as an old school Eagle Industries 3DAP. It is every bit of the 35L or 36L as advertised.
    2. The Cordura is a little stiff and therefore noisy right now. I suspect that will abate as he uses in.
    3. It's 200 plus shipping and tax.
    4. It is not a particularly good looking bag relative to others on the market given the asymetrical nature of the mesh sleeve only one external pocket
    5. I have mixed feelings re the water bottle retention system. It consists of two adjustable straps and a sewn seat that the bottom of the bottle rests in. A tapered Yeti bottle was not optimum as the bottom could not get thru the cinched top strap and the bottom strap was so far let out that it almost came unbuckled. If you are going to used the system, I would find a bottle shape/dimension it likes, cinch things down and make sure I had a few extras of that exact bottle i.e. 32 oz Nalgene?
    5. Unless you need the room, I would consider going with something a bit smaller though both the TB Synapse 25 and the Syniks are more expensive.
    That is very helpful, thank you.

Synik it is plus: burnt orange.

I guess I could use the Scree more for EDC if I got one of those TB or other company organizer panels for documents, pens etc.

I have some Magpul DAKA pouches I am just now experimenting with.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Depending on what type of stuff you need compartments for, Magpul daka pouches work well.
    The Daka bags are awesome for organizing misc small items in bags. They are like ruggedized color-coded ziplock bags. i've had a few bouncing around my patrol vehicle since they were first released and they have held up really well.

This brings me to something else I've found with backpacks....for me if it has more than 4-5 compartments shit gets lost easy. I much prefer backpacks with fewer compartments and utilizing smaller bags to organize things into little job specific kits.

Another bag/backpack accessory that I've been carrying for years is the Spec-Ops gear Packrat organizer. These are medium sized zip open organizers that fold open and do a good job standing up allowing you to work out of the pouch. I use one of these to keep all the stuff I carry all the time (thumb drives, SSD hard drive, extra batteries, pens, tourniquet, boo-boo kit, assorted charging cables,etc) and just throw it in whatever pack I'm using that particular day.
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 11-19-2019 at 10:44 PM.

User Tag List