Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unbelted Backpacks (Rucksacks)

Hammertime

Unbelted Backpacks (Rucksacks)

I just went through a bunch of messing around with my EDC pack and thought my experience could be useful. I also though I would get others opinions about unbelted backpacks.

I have started walking a lot more as part of my commute with my backpack full of stuff. Typically this means I am using my usual AIWB carry method simultaneously. For me, I find I can't really carry a gun in my belt and wear a belted pack. My 7yo Camelbak Linchpin was starting to pinch my lower back a bit on longer walks, so I decided to explore options.

I ended up buying a GoRuck Rucker 21l due to a lot of amazing reviews and the clear fan base for these packs. I also liked the clean design. Today I returned the Rucker though.

What I liked: looks and evident bombproof construction.

What I disliked: It was super stiff out of the box. This improved after 14 miles of rucking, but still, it was no improvement over the Linchpin, and it still pinched my spare tire a bit in back.

21L is just too small for me. Very tight fit if I wear layers that I want to shed for the walk home. This was something I didn't know, but I like having the 32L of the Camelbak available occasionally for light, bulky stuff.

Hydration shares space with all the other stuff in the pack and a leak is kind of catastrophic. Hydration also went into a middle pocket and the pocket for the ruck weights is too small to be used for paperwork.

Minimal design means minimal organizational pockets. I don't need a lot, but this thing was just too little.

I considered going with the over twice as expensive GR1, but it didn't seem worth paying twice the price for a laptop pocket given that it has all the same issues above.

I have been on a pack OCD kick with this, and have looked at Mystery Ranch, Arcteryx, Vertx, 5.11, Tactical Tailor, Mission Workshop, Camelbak, Peak Design and a bunch I don't remember off hand. Dang it if I can't find anything I like better than my old reliable.

I would be happy for folks to share their experience with beltless rucking. It has been a pretty new experience for me as I always wear a belted pack with Safepacker when hiking, but it seemed excessive for walking 5 miles to work with 10-15lbs on my back, and a gun AIWB. I have been surprised at the comfort of AIWB, for walking. Any packs that have worked great for you?

Last edited by Doc_Glock; 11-14-2019 at 11:41 AM.

I went through this same thing, I actually carried a gr1 for many years and went to a mystery ranch urban assault which was way too small for me but very comfortable.

With all that said, I've recently purchased a mystery ranch scree, and it's easily the best rucking pack I've used in a long time. I removed the belt (it velcros in place) and have done 5-10-15 mile rucks with 40lb weight. Feels awesome, all while carrying aiwb.

Would highly recommend right now
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I have the larger GR1 which I use for my every day work bag. I think it's 26L. I also have a Rucker which is essentially a piece of fitness equipment for me- it says filled with a 30 lb plate and sandbags depending on the workout.

The larger GR1 is much better for travel since it's a bit taller. I've actually been thinking not getting the 34L GR2 and selling the GR1 with the idea that it would be a better 2-3 day business travel bag.
    Last edited by littlejerry; 11-14-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Site Supporter
    It is a little on the small side for your application, but I've happily used the Hill People Gear Tarahumara for a handful of years.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/.../3/ProductID/8

The compression straps are handy for when I'm taking off layers, the side wand pockets are well-sized, and my 2L hydration bladder can be run inside or outside the pack. The real star of the show however is the shoulder harness. It's unlike anything else I've used before and like it quite a bit.

I'm currently considering "upsizing" my day pack, and I'll be taking a hard look at the larger HPG offerings based on my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    With all that said, I've recently purchased a mystery ranch scree, and it's easily the best rucking pack I've used in a long time. I removed the belt (it velcros in place) and have done 5-10-15 mile rucks with 40lb weight. Feels awesome, all while carrying aiwb. Would highly recommend right now
    Scree is a great pack.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Hammertime
    I went through this same thing, I actually carried a gr1 for many years and went to a mystery ranch urban assault which was way too small for me but very comfortable.

With all that said, I've recently purchased a mystery ranch scree, and it's easily the best rucking pack I've used in a long time. I removed the belt (it velcros in place) and have done 5-10-15 mile rucks with 40lb weight. Feels awesome, all while carrying aiwb.

Would highly recommend right now
    I am liking that pack and the idea that the waist belt can come and go. When I ride my mountain bike to work, I prefer a belt and Safepacker since AIWB is simply impossible the way I ride and the pack would be all over the place. For riding in, I keep a separate bike tool/tube/spares kit I can add and remove from the pack as needed and the belt could just be part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    It is a little on the small side for your application, but I've happily used the Hill People Gear Tarahumara for a handful of years.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/.../3/ProductID/8

The compression straps are handy for when I'm taking off layers, the side wand pockets are well-sized, and my 2L hydration bladder can be run inside or outside the pack. The real star of the show however is the shoulder harness. It's unlike anything else I've used before and like it quite a bit.

I'm currently considering "upsizing" my day pack, and I'll be taking a hard look at the larger HPG offerings based on my experience.
    I've been running a Tarahumara for three years, and an Umlindi for two.

The Tara is my solo hunting/hiking pack from about May to October.

The Umlindi with an Aston Pocket is my year round hiking pack for when I'm day hiking with the family, and my solo pack for the colder months when I tend to carry more stuff. It's also the pack I use when I go work in town one day a week, and have to tote a laptop and enough stuff to evac on foot across the river to where my truck is parked.

I've also done overnights with the Tara docked to the Umlindi, with a Recon belt.

I love the HPG suspension system. Some folks decry the lack of internal organization, but it works really well for me. Every pack I've had with lots of internal organization forced me to configure things to fit the packs layout, instead of the other way around. I organize my stuff in tool rolls, pouches and drybag and it works great.

The two are complimentary packs. If I could only have one I'd take the Umlindi.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I've been running a Tarahumara for three years, and an Umlindi for two.

The Tara is my solo hunting/hiking pack from about May to October.

The Umlindi with an Aston Pocket is my year round hiking pack for when I'm day hiking with the family, and my solo pack for the colder months when I tend to carry more stuff. It's also the pack I use when I go work in town one day a week, and have to tote a laptop and enough stuff to evac on foot across the river to where my truck is parked.

I've also done overnights with the Tara docked to the Umlindi, with a Recon belt.

I love the HPG suspension system. Some folks decry the lack of internal organization, but it works really well for me. Every pack I've had with lots of internal organization forced me to configure things to fit the packs layout, instead of the other way around. I organize my stuff in tool rolls, pouches and drybag and it works great.

The two are complimentary packs. If I could only have one I'd take the Umlindi.
    I like the idea of the scalability of the Umlindi/Aston Pocket/Recon Belt set-up. I had considered that or the Aston House Back Country as a compliment to the Tara.

Hammertime
    And dang the Urban assault looks like just the ticket honestly. I wish it were a touch bigger, but maybe I need to streamline.

HPG has a pack coming out that’s a bit bigger than the Tara. I’m guessing it’s between the Tara and Umlindi in size.

User Tag List