Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFI Safariland ALS Concealable For Glock 19

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    It was the middle of the night!

I've been working nights for so long I sometimes forget

I received my GLS last week. Designed specifically to fit a G19 size gun. Will stay with the ALS for general work duties and the SLS/ALS for working warrants. I did find that the optional curved belt slide mounting plate is far more comfy in a cramped car and makes the ALS -slightly- more concealable.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    GLS, all day. I think it's fine for a gun grab, I certainly can't wrench the gun out of it sans hitting the release.
    The concern on gun grabs is not the mechanism but the fact that the GLS lever is more exposed to someone else hitting the lever than the ALS which is between the gun and the body.

The other gun grab problem inherent to the GLS is The same thing that makes it so intuitive to draw from. When you get a good grip on the handgun your hand naturally falls into place to release the GLS mechanism. The problem with that is the first step in retaining the weapon is to get your hand on it and hold it/lock it down into the holster. With the GLS having a good grip on the gun will mean that you were only holding it in place instead of you holding it plus the retention mechanism.

I like the GLS, particularly the pancake models but if gun grabs or a high concern the ALS is better. That said I would rather have my people using the pro fit GLS than a Serpa. Factors many cops are cheap and will not go any further than a big box store for a holster which means Serpas or GLS Pro Fits.

The GLS Pro Fit fits a range of different guns, and there are different versions of the Pro Fit.

They do, or at least did, make model specific GLS holsters as well. I have three for a G19. I currently carry in one most days and have a righty and a lefty in an awful color (meaning not a proper black) that I bought on clearance.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Banned
    So if I'm understanding correctly these are good holsters but they are not truly concealed carry holsters. Is that correct?

I noticed in the other thread South Narc described them as "OK for detective casual."

If they're truly not a concealable holster that's going to kind of have to be a deal-breaker for me

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    So if I'm understanding correctly these are good holsters but they are not truly concealed carry holsters. Is that correct?

I noticed in the other thread South Narc described them as "OK for detective casual."

If they're truly not a concealable holster that's going to kind of have to be a deal-breaker for me
    Exactly this. They are not going to be as concealable as a decent OWB pancake, but - for me anyways - it’s good enough for what I consider to be higher threat areas. Here in IL printing isn’t a legal issue, but the way I dress when using ALS is good cover. (Unbuttoned shirt over a covered T-shirt, or a coat/jacket.) I IWB when I feel the need to be as discrete as possible.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List