Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI Safariland ALS Concealable For Glock 19

Banned

RFI Safariland ALS Concealable For Glock 19

My Galco CM is about 6 years old and it's starting to get a little soft. I'm considering replacing it with a Safariland ALS.

I liked the Safariland holster I used when I was working armed but it was a duty holster and I'd need a Burka to conceal it.

So, does anyone have any experience with the ALS for concealed carry?

ETA my biggest concern is that I have always been taught that you buy a holster that is fitted to your gun and the only Safariland ALS holster I've seen was for a range of different guns
    Last edited by Cypher; 11-14-2019 at 03:43 AM.

Banned

Eighteen People Have Looked At This Post With No Response.

That in itself is an answer.

I'm going to save and buy a Kramer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    My Galco CM is about 6 years old and it's starting to get a little soft. I'm considering replacing it with a Safariland ALS.

I liked the Safariland holster I used when I was working armed but it was a duty holster and I'd need a Burka to conceal it.

ETA my biggest concern is that I have always been taught that you buy a holster that is fitted to your gun and the only Safariland ALS holster I've seen was for a range of different guns
    There is no ALS holster to fit multiple guns. The ALS uses a thumb lever release which locks into the ejection port of the pistol,

I believe you are confusing the ALS with the GLS or “Grip Locking System” which uses a middle finger lever release and locks on to the trigger guard.

There are several types of GLS holster one of which are the “pro fit” versions which can be adjusted to fit multiple guns. There are also gun specifics versions, gun specific pancake type OWB versions and a gun specific IWB version.

Short take: the GLS provides good retention to prevent accidentally losing your gun. It is not as good as the ALS at preventing active attempts to take your gun but better than no retention.

I have used all but the IWB version. Both the regular GLS and the ALS are not true concealment holsters, they are really permissive environment/ cop concealment holsters. If you need real concealment the OWB pancake style GLS is good to go and issued by at least one big name 3 letter agency. I have also found the Pancake style GLS to be a bit better at both aspects of retention.

There is a thread on them and the IWB version here on PF.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-14-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

Link to thread on the GLS pancake holster (Model 537) https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Safariland-537

Holster http://www.safariland.com/products/h...ter-53700.html
    Last edited by HCM; 11-14-2019 at 08:22 AM.

It was the middle of the night!

I’m an ALS user for concealment. I am often in a rough area of Chicago, and I prefer carrying in a retention holster when I’m there. I gladly give up a bit of absolute concealability for security when I’m in the hood. I have several (six or seven), and have settled on a 637x or 737x body with a 6006-1 ALS guard and a 565BL belt loop as my preferred ALS rig.

You may be thinking of the *GLS* series holsters, I believe they are multifit. The *ALS* series holsters I have (six or seven of them) are very specific fit, to the point my older ones won’t work with a Gen5 without minor modification.

(Edit) HCM was typing faster.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 11-14-2019 at 08:19 AM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I believe @SouthNarc put this holster through at least one of his classes.
    Last edited by MGW; 11-14-2019 at 08:25 AM.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I used a pancake GLS for a year. Concealment was good for OWB, retention was helpful for outdoor use (wouldn't trust it against a gun grab). Only reason I don't now is because - to my knowledge - there isn't one compatible with my current carry gun.

GLS, all day. I think it's fine for a gun grab, I certainly can't wrench the gun out of it sans hitting the release.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    GLS, all day. I think it's fine for a gun grab, I certainly can't wrench the gun out of it sans hitting the release.
    ...and that’s my exact reason for going ALS instead. The very nature of a from-the-rear grab will hit the release. We tried this when GLS first came out, and I could strip the gun 100% of the time.

GLS is only secure from grabs from jamoches that are missing their middle and ring fingers.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have, and use, a GLS (based on the thread referenced above). It will retain the pistol just fine if you, for instance, trip and fall. If a hoodlum gets their hand on the butt of the gun, they almost have to go out of their way to avoid hitting the retention button/lever. Not super crazy about the set-up, but it is waaay more concealable than the ALS. I made a conscious compromise of taking concealability over retention. You pays yore money and takes yore chances.

ETA: *Probably* still better retention than a thumb-break. Concentrate on protecting that release lever in a fight for the gun.
    Last edited by Tensaw; 11-14-2019 at 01:50 PM.

User Tag List