Thread: Holds for Army Pistol Qual

Holds for Army Pistol Qual

Hello all,

Headed to IWQ this weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations for holds for the M9 at distance out to 31m? I'm used to holding under at 25 yards with the G17.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Yute; 11-13-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Honestly, it doesn't matter.

The DOD Ivan is enourmous. Aim top of sight blade center mass. Ensure that you don't move your sights side to side during trigger pull and you'll hit them. The high/low won't matter much because Ivan is taller than he is wide. Strong grip support hand. Cock the hammer if you need too, but breath steady and dont over think it.

Between strings take spare rounds and add them to your next mag. It gives you even more make up shots. If you're remotely familiar with shooting it will largely be boring and you wont need the make up shots.

If Ivan looks like he came from a 249 or 240 range and has a massive hole, shoot him in the face. They're normally shot up worse closer up. They're pretty easy to shoot in the head up close.

Source: Former NG NCO served as premobilization trainer running an M9 range. Company M9 "sme" NCO. Expert M9. Currently carry Beretta Langdon M9, and use Beretta 92 for USPSA.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 11-13-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Really appreciate it!

I think your really looking at a drive the dot sight picture not top of the front sight but you really don’t need to worry about shifting your vertical hold on target within that distance on a target that large. Center mass and you should be golden to at least qualify. Throw in a smooth pull and you should be looking at expert.

Retired over 19 years ago, so take with as many grains of salt as you see fit, but do you know what the course of fire is? In my career, I saw at least three different pistol quals within a year or two, it seemed to depend on what was available, whether we were shooting at Ivan, or paper targets with either silhouettes or bulls. (Although the ranges in Korea may not count.)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Also, when not shooting bring your arms in toward your body to rest. If you hold it out there you'll get the shakes.

-Cory

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Honestly, it doesn't matter.

The DOD Ivan is enourmous. Aim top of sight blade center mass. Ensure that you don't move your sights side to side during trigger pull and you'll hit them. The high/low won't matter much because Ivan is taller than he is wide. Strong grip support hand. Cock the hammer if you need too, but breath steady and dont over think it.

Between strings take spare rounds and add them to your next mag. It gives you even more make up shots. If you're remotely familiar with shooting it will largely be boring and you wont need the make up shots.

If Ivan looks like he came from a 249 or 240 range and has a massive hole, shoot him in the face. They're normally shot up worse closer up. They're pretty easy to shoot in the head up close.

Source: Former NG NCO served as premobilization trainer running an M9 range. Company M9 "sme" NCO. Expert M9. Currently carry Beretta Langdon M9, and use Beretta 92 for USPSA.

-Cory
    While I wasn't issued an M9, I shoot the hell out of one now. So, within that context, not much I can disagree with here. Our premob rifle ranges looked like the description above. Aim where you can hit outside the massive hole, and holds shouldn't be an issue. Stick the sights where you want to hit, pull through the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    do you know what the course of fire is?
    I'm pretty sure it will be tables I-V:
    I. 5 targets. 1 mag with 7 rounds
    II. 6 targets. 1 mag with 1 round, reload with 1 mag of 7 rounds
    III. 5 targets, 1 mag of 7 rounds
    IV. 4 Targets, 1 mag of 5 rounds
    V. 10 Targets, 1 mag with 1 round, reload with 1 mag of 7 rounds, reload with 1 mag of 5 rounds
    Last edited by Yute; 11-14-2019 at 02:15 AM.

Qualified today - appreciate all your help!

User Tag List