Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 1990s Colts and MIM Extractors...

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    .....but you might be over-thinking this a bit.
    The 1911 does tend to bring this out of people

Let us know how it turns out

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Honestly, that's the most helpful feedback you could have given.

But seriously, thanks for the insight. I plan to put together a Brownell's order with a few different options. Might also try to find some Tripp super 7 kits as 45dotacp suggested.

Once you decide on some mags, let us know what brand and how they work in your pistol.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Once you decide on some mags, let us know what brand and how they work in your pistol.
    Will do. I ordered a Tripp Cobra 7 rd and a CM Classic 7 rd. Also ordered two Tripp super 7 upgrade kits... but I realized the bases of my current mags are welded on. Whoops. Also ordered an 18 lb recoil spring, which apparently is factory for the Commander.

I would have grabbed a Checkmate, but Brownell's apparently doesn't carry those. In any case, I think I've got a decent crop to choose from with the Wilson, Tripp and CM. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 11-26-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Will do. I ordered a Tripp Cobra 7 rd and a CM Classic 7 rd. Also ordered two Tripp super 7 upgrade kits... but I realized the bases of my current mags are welded on. Whoops. Also ordered an 18 lb recoil spring, which apparently is factory for the Commander.

I would have grabbed a Checkmate, but Brownell's apparently doesn't carry those. In any case, I think I've got a decent crop to choose from with the Wilson, Tripp and CM. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
    1911 magazine bases aren't normally removable. You need to compress the mag spring & follower with a pencil, or something similar, then capture the spring independently of the follower or a straightened paperclip, or my favorite tool. a small allen wrench, then remove the follower from the mag first, Following this, remove the pin, allen wrench (whatever), and remove the spring. Watch the orientation of the old spring and reassemble in reverse order. This videos pretty good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdgjU1Vfr5w

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    1911 magazine bases aren't normally removable. You need to compress the mag spring & follower with a pencil, or something similar, then capture the spring independently of the follower or a straightened paperclip, or my favorite tool. a small allen wrench, then remove the follower from the mag first, Following this, remove the pin, allen wrench (whatever), and remove the spring. Watch the orientation of the old spring and reassemble in reverse order. This videos pretty good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdgjU1Vfr5w
    Great. Thanks so much for the advice. Wouldn't have known you could remove springs/followers this way. I should get the stuff tomorrow. Might be this weekend before I get chance to really mess with mag kits, though.

The 47D can be improved with a Wilson 7 rd follower and spring kit.

The 8 rd spring is just puny and will crap out if you run a bunch of rounds through them.

An EGW oversized firing pin stop is maybe the best < $20 mod you can make to your pistol. Locks the extractor into place and the consistency allows better tuning of the extractor .

What springs have you replaced so far?
    Last edited by Greg; 11-26-2019 at 11:49 PM.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    The 47D can be improved with a Wilson 7 rd follower and spring kit.

The 8 rd spring is just puny and will crap out if you run a bunch of rounds through them.

An EGW oversized firing pin stop is maybe the best < $20 mod you can make to your pistol. Locks the extractor into place and the consistency allows better tuning of the extractor .

What springs have you replaced so far?
    So far, just put in a fresh recoil spring—18 lb. Haven’t had a chance to put the spring kits in the old mags yet.

Plenty of good magazine options now days for .45 ACP 1911 type pistols. I'll just mention one type that has displayed exemplary performance for me and others. It is the Metalform 7-rounder with the rounded followers. I carried a Series '80 Colt Govt. with these magazines for my last decade or so in LE. Never needed any new and improved springs or followers. In fact, I wouldn't want it to get around, but I never changed springs, followers or anything. No drama, they just worked with ball, SWC and hollow point ammo. I'm retired now. Still have those magazines, used them for LEOSA qualifications, they still just work....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock185 View Post
    Plenty of good magazine options now days for .45 ACP 1911 type pistols. I'll just mention one type that has displayed exemplary performance for me and others. It is the Metalform 7-rounder with the rounded followers. I carried a Series '80 Colt Govt. with these magazines for my last decade or so in LE. Never needed any new and improved springs or followers. In fact, I wouldn't want it to get around, but I never changed springs, followers or anything. No drama, they just worked with ball, SWC and hollow point ammo. I'm retired now. Still have those magazines, used them for LEOSA qualifications, they still just work....
    I've always wondered about those. I used rounded follower Brownells branded 8 rd Metalforms and recall they were fantastic.

I originally got them to be range beaters so my competition mags WC ETMs didn't get beat up...turns out they were more durable than the Wilson mags. I deadlined more ETMs that were newer than the 8 round metalform rounded follower mags.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I have a bunch of ETMs I’m still testing. At this point, I’ve been using six 47Ds that have Tripp Super 7 kits in them and I am VERY happy with the reliability. To the point I’m using them in my carry guns.

I even stuffed a Tripp Super 7 kit into one of my Wilson 47 Officer’s mags. It only holds 6-rounds, but it feeds perfectly.

I need to get some more Super 7 kits actually...

In short, I’m really pretty much sold on Tripp Research stuff. Virgil Tripp is a smart man, bear in mind the T in STI is for Tripp (Strayer-Tripp-Inc). He has been innovating, renovating, and keeping 1911s and of course the 2011 alive for decades.

User Tag List