Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1990s Colts and MIM Extractors...

Site Supporter

1990s Colts and MIM Extractors...

Anyone know what years Colt used MIM extractors in the late 90s/early 2000s? I've got my eye on some decently priced "Enhanced MKIV" examples from the mid-to late 90s. Don't have anything against MIM in other parts of the gun, but I've read the extractors used in this period were prone to breakage.

I handled a 95 Combat Commander--loved the feel. Fit seemed good on everything. Subjectively, it felt like a much nicer gun than the WC CCO I had a few years back--which had a shitty-feeling grip safety, mushy thumb safety and a rattle-trap slide. Also saw a 1997 (MKIV/E) listed nearby for a slightly better price. But I'm thinking that has a higher potential of being a "MIM year"?

I dig the look of the Enhanced guns. The top-rib and the slanted serrations appease my aesthetic sensibilities. Also prefer the shorter trigger in these vs. the long example used in the Commanders and Competitions currently.

New extractors of quality material aren’t terribly costly to acquire/fit.

Get the deal you can on the gun you want and have it freshened.

Unless this is a colt parts only-concours thing. Then just ignore me in general

The MIM extractor was one of Colts less than wise moves and didn't last long. If you can get a good deal on the gun, I wouldn't sweat it. Extractors aren't expensive or hard to install.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

If you have Novak install sights, the enhanced rib lines up perfectly with the leading edge of the rear sight. It's a great install. I know lots of people might not like the Novak, but it's really a slick install

Site Supporter
    I agree with the others, don't pass up a nice pistol that you like because of the extractor. If in doubt, put in a new one.

But anyway, the years Colt used the MIM extractors were 1998-2001. They probably didn't start and stop precisely at the beginning and end of that period though, so it would be hard to tell with a specific gun without examining the part. The way to tell is that the MIM extractors had a square recessed area toward the rear end where the sprue was attached during manufacturing.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys. I'm hoping to pick one up this weekend. I've had some bonus money sitting around for a few weeks and I think it's time for a decent 1911. Great insight on the extractor, Robinson. Seems like all of the options I'm considering would be outside that range. But as you said, who knows for sure. If it needs replacing, hopefully I can get it done without much trouble.

Interesting take on the rib--I just saw it as purely aesthetic, but I suppose it would sort of lead your line of sight down the slide. Perhaps that was its original purpose. In any case, I figure it'll look good next to my similarly ribbed Smith 645.

I don’t have a better pic, but you can sort of see the effect of the rib height and the rear sight.

Attachment 44788

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I don’t have a better pic, but you can sort of see the effect of the rib height and the rear sight.

Attachment 44788
    That is a fine looking piece. The front serrations aren't factory, right? I don't think I've seen an MKIVs with front serrations.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    That is a fine looking piece. The front serrations aren't factory, right? I don't think I've seen an MKIVs with front serrations.
    You are correct. Novak cut them in

I think Robinson's MIM extractor years are probably about right. I bought two new stainless Government models, circa 2002/2003. Both had MIM extractors. I've never had a MIM part fail, but using MIM in a part that flexes didn't seem prudent to me. I called Colt, sent both extractors back, and Colt sent me two non MIM extractors.

In any case, I wouldn't turn down a gun just because it has a MIM extractor. It's an easy fix.

User Tag List