Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1990s Colts and MIM Extractors...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    That is NOT a MIM extractor. Good luck with assembly.
    Agreed. NOT a MIM extractor.

Site Supporter

Shot the gun tonight...

Put 100 rounds of ball through it. Had one last-round FTFeed on the last mag I shot. Round was angled up, perpendicular to the bore. Ejection was consistent and strong. It really chucked them out. No brass to the head, etc.

Hopefully better/newer mags will prevent further feed issues. I get the impression the last-round FTFs tend to be Mag related? I was using the stock “Shooting Star” 8-round mags. Which I think are Chip McCormick? Springs maybe felt a little weak. I picked up a Wilson 47D on my way out. I’ll give that a whirl next time.

But I like the way it shot, overall. It’s been a while since I’ve shot .45, but it only took me a mag or two to start getting some decent groups. It could definitely use some grippier grips and possibly a shorter trigger. For some reason, I thought the triggers from this era were short triggers—not sure if this one counts as a medium or a long.

Also... for flush mags, what’s the best option? 7-rounders for flush, I’ve read. I know Wilson makes some. What about the Springfield 7-rounders? Looks like they’ve got a little dimple on the follower to keep the last round under control. Which makes sense.

Thanks, guys.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 11-19-2019 at 10:14 PM.

I like to use Colt-marked Metalform bodies with Tripp Super 7 follower and spring kits. https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/tr-super-7-kit

Checkmate 7 round mags

When one asks about 1911s and mags, lots of choices out there. I know you want flush fitting 7-round mags, but here are the two I use most. I use the Chip McCormick Power mags, 8 rounds in stainless. Seven rounders....I use Checkmate 7-round magazines. Both run great in my Springfield Loaded and Dan Wesson A2. Not flush, but doesn't detract from appearance. Both 100%.

https://www.topgunsupply.com/check-m...-magazine.html

While we're talking mags, I have a fair lot of older Colt stainless mags with CMC Devel type followers. since I also have a 4 inch SA Compact on a full-size frame, I recently changed most of my older mag springs over to Wolff extra power springs, but left the Shooting Star followers in, since I wasn't having issues with the mags, the springs were just a decade or so old. Should I be looking at different followers? Like I said earlier, I wasn't having any problems.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the input, guys.

I've been doing some research on mags myself. It's... mind boggling? Also went through the "Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running" thread. Starting to question my 47D purchase--which isn't hard because I hate how far it sticks out.

All that said, I'm pretty sure the FTF I had was an "inertia feed." Basically, the round bounced out of the mag under recoil. My layman's logic suggests having a dimple on the follower is a pretty good way to prevent this. So, I think I'd opt for a dimpled mag?

The Checkmates and the Tripp followers both have dimples. In fact... so do basic GI mags. I understand there's also wadcutter lips, hybrid lips, GI, etc. Not really sure why I would / wouldn't want any of those.

So I guess, my question is...

Assuming I'm okay with 7 rounds and I'm shooting 230gr ball... is there a reason to go for something other than GI style mags?

At this point I might just order a few different kinds and see what works best.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    While we're talking mags, I have a fair lot of older Colt stainless mags with CMC Devel type followers. since I also have a 4 inch SA Compact on a full-size frame, I recently changed most of my older mag springs over to Wolff extra power springs, but left the Shooting Star followers in, since I wasn't having issues with the mags, the springs were just a decade or so old. Should I be looking at different followers? Like I said earlier, I wasn't having any problems.
    I would test fire the mags to make sure they are reliable after the spring swap, and if they are, I wouldn't change out the followers. I've gotten good service from the Colt mags with Shooting Star followers over the years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post

I've been doing some research on mags myself. It's... mind boggling? Also went through the "Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running" thread. Starting to question my 47D purchase--which isn't hard because I hate how far it sticks out.

All that said, I'm pretty sure the FTF I had was an "inertia feed." Basically, the round bounced out of the mag under recoil. My layman's logic suggests having a dimple on the follower is a pretty good way to prevent this. So, I think I'd opt for a dimpled mag?

The Checkmates and the Tripp followers both have dimples. In fact... so do basic GI mags. I understand there's also wadcutter lips, hybrid lips, GI, etc. Not really sure why I would / wouldn't want any of those.

Assuming I'm okay with 7 rounds and I'm shooting 230gr ball... is there a reason to go for something other than GI style mags?

I think the 47D is an okay magazine for training and practice, but my carry gun and HD gun are each loaded 7+1 with a 47. The advantage I see to a mag with a baseplate that extends a bit from the bottom of the frame is that it makes reloads easier and more secure. They don't all extend as far as the 47D 8-rounder.

I've used Colt flush-fit magazines without any trouble, and the WC 47, Checkmate, Tripp, and Ed Brown mags all work well. This isn't a criticism, but you might be over-thinking this a bit.

If you don't like the 47Ds and want to try something different, send them to Ed Brown and they will exchange each one for one of their mags for a cost of $10 or $15 each depending on finish. They have 7 and 8 round mags and they come with baseplates that you can add or remove as desired.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post

If you're just shooting ball ammo out of a range gun, you can get almost any mag to work well with the correct springs. Get the Tripp Super 7 kits and drop them in the shooting star mags you currently have. It's cheaper than buying a bunch of new magazines.

Lots of people like Wilson 47D mags, but I am not one of them. If you want 8 rounds, go a different mag with a longer tube.

The 7 round Wilson 47 is an excellent magazine, however why even bother when you can find other mags for less money, same reliability, and greater durability because the plastic follower wears away.

Checkmate makes some good mags as well. About magazine feed lips....it doesn't really matter which ones you use, but most contemporary mags use wadcutter feed lips and they work just fine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    This isn't a criticism, but you might be over-thinking this a bit.
    Honestly, that's the most helpful feedback you could have given.

But seriously, thanks for the insight. I plan to put together a Brownell's order with a few different options. Might also try to find some Tripp super 7 kits as 45dotacp suggested.

User Tag List