Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery tester

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Or you could just shoot trijicon dots and change the batteries like once a year

I have a vortex venom dot that has maybe had a few hours run time, its been off for prob 2 months. It is in my range bag always as a back up gun for if my match gun goes down. Pulled it out last week and the battery was completely dead - so much for a backup dot gun.
    FWIW, I have several Vortex Venoms and have not experienced this kind of battery failure. Most "problems" with Venom batteries have been resolved by tightening the battery cap. I typically turn on my Venom at the beginning of a match and off at the end, while I see other shooters turn their batteries off between stages. I usually shoot about 6 to 8 matches a month and change my battery every 6 months.

It will be interesting to do some testing with the new battery tester.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

I've thought about getting the mini version to test cr123s so I don't mix old and new on accident...🧨🔥

This morning, while dry firing the dot on my RMR blinked out a few times. I pulled the optic, removed the battery, tested it and it showed as depleted. While not conclusive, I felt better seeing the battery was low.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If checking batteries like CR123, wouldn't the voltage tell you if the battery is OK and you'd be able to match it with another battery with the same voltage?
    Please be kind as I'm trying to learn.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    If checking batteries like CR123, wouldn't the voltage tell you if the battery is OK and you'd be able to match it with another battery with the same voltage?
    I have found the ZTS tester to be the easiest way to test most cells, including lithium primary.

However, I have found a simple voltmeter to be the easiest way to test Li-Ion rechargeable cells.

If I am putting two or more CR123 or other lithium primary cells in a device, they are all coming from the same package so that I know they were made at the same time and purchased at the same time. I do not own any devices in which I would want anything less than new CR123 cells.

One of the nice things about Li-Ion is that in most cases a single cell is used, eliminating any possible issues from mismatched cells. However, if using 2 or more in a device, I would definitely test both to match them closely together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    A thread from candle power forums asked the same thing and they said it's not the same. I'll try to find it

Edit here's one but looks like it's a common question on there

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?376663-Testing-cr123a-Batteries
    Last edited by Mirolynmonbro; 11-20-2019 at 02:13 PM.

This battery tester thread got me to thinking about when I lasted changed some batteries, and whether I ought to be concerned about just a weak/dead battery, or one so old it's leaked and corroded everything (Perish the thought that I'm not one of the disciplined folks who change batteries on some anniversary, keep reminders everywhere, etc.).

Was thinking about my RMR-equipped guns. Have never had a battery failure on any of those (three), 'cause I do change them regularly - - - every year or two . . . or three. Digging around in my range bag, I found some CR 2032s. The only problem was, I had no idea how old they were. They "looked" new. But there were also some N batteries. Could only figure those fit a long-retired set of electronic muffs. There were four packages of two batteries each. It's a good thing the packaging was sealed plastic; two of the four packages contained well-corroded batteries. Maybe there was some age on the button batteries as well.

Thus motivated, I bought and installed fresh batteries in all. But, all were still working fine. Left my SRO-equipped guns alone; those optics are pretty new. Those, the SRO-equipped guns, made me appreciate their new topside battery chamber, after fussing with removing/replacing the RMRs. Moreso, since two of them were on M&Ps with the spring and disk waiting to pop out of the slide cut when the dot was removed. And having to clean fasteners. And re-Loctite them.

Felt good, all done. Then I had this nagging thought - - - while I primarily shoot pistols, I do have an rifle with an old Aimpoint on it. With images of those corroded batteries on my mind, I dug out the rifle. Still working, but I pulled the battery anyway. Nice and clean. Did find a new battery at a local store and installed it. As best I can recall, I installed that Aimpoint on the rifle in the first year or two of the Obama administration, and this was the first battery change. Did I mention that I don't shoot it much? But it was still lit up; in fact, it was put in the safe with the optic still on.

Oh yeah, while I was in the safe, I saw a Crimson Trace laser. Took me a bit to remember it was one I had put on a PM-9, but took off as I didn't like the absence of an off switch. Grip the gun, and the laser lights up. Well, it's supposed to. In this case, there was just enough faint red glow when the button was pushed to let you know there was a red laser in there. But it wouldn't light up a white wall from three feet away. Turns out it uses the same battery as the Aimpoint.

Just mentioning all this to remind everyone to maintain their electronics regularly. I certainly do . . .

But I am now going to buy this battery tester (maybe get my wife to get it for a Christmas gift for me). Kept all those old CR2032s that were in the range bag. Maybe some are still serviceable for a few more years.

Received my tester a week ago, thx for the guidance to this George a very useful product.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 01-10-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Amazon "Subscribe & Save" delivers 10 Renata CR2032 batteries to my door every 6 months for around $7.
    6 get installed (3 rifles, 3 pistols), 4 get set aside as spares or installed in "back of the safe" guns.
    Makes scheduling battery replacements a breeze and seems to keep me well stocked in fresh batteries.

I'll still buy a tester.
    Because.... toys.
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-11-2020 at 09:13 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List