Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Range Practice Question.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    You need to be realistic about your expectations of a single range session. You don’t expect to make noticeable progress from a single visit to the gym. Don’t expect that from one range trip. Shooting well is hard, and new guns take time to master.

Think weeks, months, years. Not days. Relax and try to enjoy the process.
    Here's my target at 21 feet. I'm still pulling to the left but I have noticed that I am seeing that front sight on every shot. I also noticed that when I hold the gun it naturally points to the left so I think I'm going to take off the backstrap and try it with a smaller grip.

Range Practice Question.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Here's my target at 21 feet. I'm still pulling to the left but I have noticed that I am seeing that front sight on every shot. I also noticed that when I hold the gun it naturally points to the left so I think I'm going to take off the backstrap and try it with a smaller grip.
    Good job on focusing on your natural point of aim (NPA). A smaller grip is definitely worth a try. I have medium hands and use no backstrap on Gen4 Glocks. However, your grip tension (support and strong) can also be causing this. An even more likely explanation is pre-ignition push. This is very hard to train out, and can be quite subtle.

Holy crap that target is crazy! I can't tell what's going on, let alone imagine aiming at it. Dude, buy some clean targets and rip all that stuff off the target backer.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-13-2019 at 01:49 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    I know a guy that got killed on a shooting range presumably so they could steal his guns I never have all my guns empty at once
    That's awful. I usually keep a mag loaded with carry ammo in my pocket but have never could never come close to feeling like might need it. Range is state owned with full time staff. Somewhere down a remote forest road on public land would be a completely different story.

I have medium hands and prefer no backstrap. Also, for me, increasing my support hand tension helps keep my shots centered. And ball and dummy drills.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Banned
    Good job on focusing on your natural point of aim (NPA). A smaller grip is definitely worth a try. I have medium hands and use no backstrap on Gen4 Glocks. However, your grip tension (support and strong) can also be causing this. An even more likely explanation is pre-ignition push. This is very hard to train out, and can be quite subtle.
    I took the backstrap off as soon as I got home and the point of aim problem resolved immediately.

Holy crap that target is crazy! I can't tell what's going on, let alone imagine aiming at it. Dude, buy some clean targets and rip all that stuff off the target backer

This is my target with all the other stuff edited out.

But having all that stuff in the background is how I've always done it and it's all I've ever known so I don't notice it. Having said that I will try to clean up the background next time.

This is the target when I was done. I seem to be consistently hitting in the same area so I'm obviously holding the same point of aim and whatever I'm doing it wrong I'm doing it again and again and again and again
    Last edited by Cypher; 11-13-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Banned
    It was a little windy too and the target was blowing around

Banned
    And here's a bonus picture of my cat, Mutt stealing my glass of milk.

And here's a bonus picture of my cat, Mutt stealing my glass of milk.
    Bad cat, but typical of the species. Last night my defective black dog ate my mac n cheese when I got up for a drink. No pics so you’ll have to use your imagination.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    I know a guy that got killed on a shooting range presumably so they could steal his guns I never have all my guns empty at once
    I went to the range one morning to find it closed and filled with police. Watching the news later I found out that not long before I got there two assholes on a travelling crime spree murdered a preacher to steal his guns.

Now I shoot at a private club so I no longer worry about keeping a second gun on my person, but I do usually keep a loaded mag in my back pocket.

Banned

I'm not sure it's relevant but I guess I should say what I did

It was windy enough to blow the target stand down with a rock on it so I had the bay to myself.

I unloaded and practiced dry firing with the presentation shown in the video for about ten minutes.

Then I spent about an hour and a half practicing that presentation by drawing from the holster, firing two shots (focusing on the front sight for each shot) then reholstering.

I changed magazines as required.

I didn't try to do anything fast. I worked on keeping calm and making the movements smoothly.

I was moving back and forth between 15 and 21 feet.

I finished up by practicing firing from retention for maybe 15 minutes focusing very specifically on keeping my left hand up against my body.

So that's what I did

Per our PM discussion....

this.....

Name:  triggerpress.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  23.3 KB

Not this......

Name:  triggerpress2.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  24.5 KB

Name:  triggerpress3.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  22.3 KB

For me...I have to keep that part of the trigger finger in that third shot on the right side of the Glock pointed as straight at the target as possible to keep from pushing left.

Name:  triggerpress4.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  22.4 KB

If I don't (like in this pic)...my shots go left.

I couldn't figure out the PM pic thing. Hope this helps.

Regards.

User Tag List