Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Range Practice Question.

Banned

Range Practice Question.

Not sure if this is relevant but I only own 4 handguns. 1 TDA and 3 SFA.

Tomorrow I'm going to the range. I'm planning on working on overcoming the "NOW" syndrome and really focusing on my sights. I'm planning to take only my two Glocks.

My question is would it make a difference if I brought my M&P too?

I picked it up the other day and I noticed that after 3 years of only shooting Glocks the M&P felt weird in my hand and I think that would really distract me while I'm trying to correct this issue.

I think I'm better off limiting myself to the one platform (Glocks) until I overcome this "NOW" syndrome thing.

I'd appreciate any input.

FWIW this specifically is what I'm going to be practicing

Last edited by Cypher; 11-13-2019 at 04:39 AM.

Generically, I would say think that you would be better off to eliminate as many variables as you can when targeting a specific problem. Variables add distraction and confusion, simplification leads to clarity.

Agreed, the best way to obtain quality, focused training results is to remove as many variables from your training as possible. I'd not only not take the M&P, I'd only take ONE Glock, and ONE holster, and train until you're certain you've reached your goals with that pistol/holster combo. If you take the second Glock, I would leave it in the range bag until you're positive you've accomplished your training objectives with the first pistol.

Site Supporter
    I'm not a great shooter, but most of the time I only take one pistol to the range.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I'm not a great shooter, but most of the time I only take one pistol to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Agreed, the best way to obtain quality, focused training results is to remove as many variables from your training as possible. I'd not only not take the M&P, I'd only take ONE Glock, and ONE holster, and train until you're certain you've reached your goals with that pistol/holster combo. If you take the second Glock, I would leave it in the range bag until you're positive you've accomplished your training objectives with the first pistol.
    Even if I only shoot one gun I am taking two, just because I keep one gun loaded at the range at all times.

Banned
    I'm actually on my way out the door right now. I'm taking the two Glocks, I'm leaving the M&P at home.

The reason I was thinking of taking the M&P is because I'm really trying to master the Glocks and I have all this performance anxiety over that and the M&P is just a plinker at this point. So I thought maybe I wouldn't get so stressed out shooting it.

But as I mentioned earlier I did some dry-fire practice with it last week and I picked it up and it just feels weird in my hand.

I was and am afraid that would be so focused on how weird it feels in my hand that I wouldn't be paying attention to what I'm trying to correct

You need to be realistic about your expectations of a single range session. You don’t expect to make noticeable progress from a single visit to the gym. Don’t expect that from one range trip. Shooting well is hard, and new guns take time to master.

Think weeks, months, years. Not days. Relax and try to enjoy the process.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Relax and try to enjoy the process.
    There is so much truth there, and it took me a long time to truly accept that the process is what it is.

This dude needs to hang out on shooting ranges.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Even if I only shoot one gun I am taking two, just because I keep one gun loaded at the range at all times.
    "Load six if your insides tells you to." -- JBB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    "Load six if your insides tells you to." -- JBB

I know a guy that got killed on a shooting range presumably so they could steal his guns I never have all my guns empty at once

User Tag List