Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Range Practice Question.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    If it's the shooter and not the gun that causes a pattern of hits to be offset it is nearly universally agreed that it is a bad idea to adjust the sights. Why?

1. There is valuable information in misses. How else will the shooter improve, other than through their errors?
    2. Misses, and the appearance of patterns can be caused by many different things: trigger, grip, pushing the gun as it fires, vision/light, etc. What causes a pattern of misses under one condition, can cause something else under other conditions.
    3. Patching a technique problem by moving the sights is an even worse idea when a gun may be used defensively.
    Agreed on drifting the sights now to be terrible advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    When should you adjust your sights?
    Huh. I know when I adjust my sights, but I would really have a hard time laying down criteria for others. Which is kind've funny, because I do it all the time in Bullseye--but I think what I'm doing is tea leaves/voodoo.

In this case--the grouping looks way too far to the left to be sights, given the distance. And the group itself is big, and disordered, and OP describes the exact sort of feeling that would cause one to yank the hell out of the trigger. I know because I do that in Rapid Fire and have the exact same thought that causes me to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L
    Let's say that you had 100 rounds to fire during the duration of you practice session.
    I would agree with this as well. Last night, I ran down to the range to shoot a box--40 rounds went into shooting doubles at 7 and playing with my shot timer because :fun:. The remaining 10 rounds were spent at 25y, shooting a paper plate that was more or less in the dark because the range lights suck. That was somewhat less fun, but it was good practice because 25y is entering into the "kinda far" realm, and it's not that often I bother to shoot that far in shitty lighting.

Even if you cast aside actual srsbzness-training, if you personally hate doing slow fire, then a bunch of gun nerds telling you you need to shoot 5000 rounds of methodical, aimed fire is not going to be helpful to you. Cuz hell, you're not gonna do that, and everybody knows it. Useful advice is going to be stuff you're actually going to bother to do, that you have the facilities for.

I've had to have the sights adjusted on all of my Glocks so they shoot point of aim at 25 yars. Without it I was hitting about 4"-6" left at 25 yards. I know that Glocks have a tendency to do that for some people, and that if I were to super-hyper-concentrate with every shot like I was shooting a slowfire match, I might be able to get the guns to hit point of aim at 25 yards. But I prefer a gun that just does it naturally with my regular trigger pull--like my other handguns, hence I have the sights on the Glocks adjusted.

After reading some posts in this thread and considering that Cypher is shooting at about 8 yards, I would agree that it might be more than just the sights. I think the element of drawing the gun may add a time pressure that could be resulting in him jerking the trigger. This why it would be a good option for him to try slowfire for groups with the gun already drawn. Once he knows knows where he is hitting, he could increase the speed of fire with the gun already drawn, then maybe add drawstroke but slowing down to make sure the sights are aligned and the trigger pull doesn't disrupt them. Then increasing the speed from there.

Someone in another thread on another subject summed it up much more concisely than I have:

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Focus on accuracy when running drills. Once your hitting the accuracy you want then focus on speed.
    Last edited by Ed L; 01-26-2020 at 03:13 AM.

Focus on accuracy when running drills. Once your hitting the accuracy you want then focus on speed.
    The path to forever being slow

Range Practice Question.

Here's a test:

6 shots, 10 yds:
    1) Pull trigger as for a bullseye match. Shoot each shot separately.
    2) Pull trigger as for a bullseye match, but fire as soon as the sights return.
    3) Pull trigger as fast as you can, and fire as soon as the sights return.

Look at the patterns. If you are Ben Stoeger, the centers of the patterns will be the same, and the patterns will be symmetric--especially in windage. It sounds simple, but most shooters cannot do this. If the patterns are substantially not the same, adjusting your sights to fix the error in string 1 will not result in good hits for the other conditions. If all you do is shoot slow fire at a static paper target, than rock on and adjust your sights to fix technique issues. If not...
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-26-2020 at 11:41 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    The path to forever being slow
    What that advice is referring to, if I'm remembering TG correctly, is to say, "my goal is to hit this six-inch plate consistently". Once you're doing that, you introduce speed--"my goal is to hit this six-inch plate six times in eight seconds, consistently", decreasing the amount of time until you can no longer meet the accuracy standard.

In other words, shoot accurately, build speed until you're no longer accurate, practice until you're accurate, and then build more speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    What that advice is referring to, if I'm remembering TG correctly, is to say, "my goal is to hit this six-inch plate consistently". Once you're doing that, you introduce speed--"my goal is to hit this six-inch plate six times in eight seconds, consistently", decreasing the amount of time until you can no longer meet the accuracy standard.

In other words, shoot accurately, build speed until you're no longer accurate, practice until you're accurate, and then build more speed.
    I understand.

But the issue with that approach is that you never really learn what fast feels like because you're always constrained by accuracy. At some point you need to put the pedal down to the floor without regards to accuracy to understand what fast really feels like, then work your way backwards to accuracy.

That's not my original idea, though. Credit to Ben Stoeger.

ETA: I do think that in order to take either approach, one has to have a basic grasp of fundamental handgun shooting technique or neither will ever work.

Oh yeah, certainly. That was my game plan the other night. I was kinda down on myself after some initial playtimes with Baby's First Shot Timer, so I just said "Fuck it" and learned some stuff. I can't hit a damn thing at .45-second splits, but .30-.35 is much better. And not completely terrible, I think, given my newness to shooting fast, and with a .45.

User Tag List