Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 40S&W making a comeback

I seem to shoot my .40 better then my 9mm of the same gun. I do practice more with the nine, due to cost. I really need to take out one of the others (backup) and also try some different ammo weights, to prove that beyond a reasonable doubt to me.

I am trying to build up more ammo. I also have a few guns on my want list, and one I debate getting, is a 229 and because of the LEO cost effective trade in's, I keep thinking about this in a .40. Since it isn't going to be my carry gun, I don't think the caliber is going to be a big deal. In my carry, I prefer to have multiple calibers, in case there is an ammo shortage.

Next year, I really need to get reloading stuff. Getting ready for the holiday tax season, though, so my last big purchase are my LTT's.

I'm pretty thrilled with my USP .40 police trade-in. I agree the trade-ins have been popular. Right now you can save a lot of cash with one of these barely-shot .40s, get a more effective round with only a bit more recoil in a full-size gun, at the cost of spending a bit more on ammo in the long term. It actually makes a lot of sense for many people.

And .40 probably will go up in cost a bit in the long term, but it's never going to be like .357 sig or 10mm. There are dozens of .40 guns out there for each one of those other calibers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    I seem to shoot my .40 better then my 9mm of the same gun. I do practice more with the nine, due to cost. I really need to take out one of the others (backup) and also try some different ammo weights, to prove that beyond a reasonable doubt to me.

I am trying to build up more ammo. I also have a few guns on my want list, and one I debate getting, is a 229 and because of the LEO cost effective trade in's, I keep thinking about this in a .40. Since it isn't going to be my carry gun, I don't think the caliber is going to be a big deal. In my carry, I prefer to have multiple calibers, in case there is an ammo shortage.

Next year, I really need to get reloading stuff. Getting ready for the holiday tax season, though, so my last big purchase are my LTT's.
    Define “better.” More accurately? Faster ? Are you shooting on the clock ?

My experience across large swaths of LE shooters with 40 is they can match their own accuracy of a comparable 9mm at the expense of speed or they can shoot the 40 at 9mm speed and the wheels start coming off accuracy wise.

I still maintain a few .40s for nostalgia and OPA (Other People’s Ammo). Otherwise they tend to get 9mm conversion barrels. This reminds me I need to pick up a 10mm to 40 conversion barrel for my G20.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-12-2019 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Define “better.” More accurately? Faster ? Are you shooting on the clock ?
    More accurately, which is why I want to test some other ammo weights at distances, etc. (thinking weight to POA/POI)

My last gun purchase was a M&P 1.0 .40 former Milwaukee Police Dept gun. Got it from my local police supply store for $279. Not much finish wear, made in 2013 and the night sights still are bright. Came with the 3mags and some Talon grips already installed. Hard to go wrong for that price.

My other 40 is my first issued Duty gun, a RTF 2 G22 with gills. I bought it from my old Dept when we went to Gen 4’s.

Site Supporter
    The tremendous value in used USP40's piqued my interest - One can regularly find them on Gunbroker for $400-450, sometimes even cheaper for an LEM one. I don't particularly like 40, but I love inexpensive HK's.

I still shoot as much .40 as 9. One of my friends is the trainer for a federal LEO agency and the range they practice at requires them to police their brass. I have an endless supply of once fired .40 brass. Frankly, it's easier to reload .40 than 9 for me using a 550 and having to place bullets in the cases by hand. I mainly shoot it at local steel challenge matches where I can lightly load it and capacity of the pistol is not an issue.

Otherwise, .40 would be as useful to me as .45..

Site Supporter
    As a reloader the .40 is the bane to my existence
    9mm fits into the .40 case and the .40 case fits into the .45 case like those Russian dolls.
    I sort my brass before cleaning but a few always get into the wet tumbler.

.40 has never been on my radar and at this point it would be another round that I would have to reload for.
    I guess it might be worth getting one of these LE trade-in just to have one.

Is the Beretta 96 slide beefed up enough now to handle the .40?
    I seem to recall that there were problems with the 96 in the past.

Site Supporter
    I've switched to 9x19 in TDA pistols, but my M&P40 1.0 isn't going anywhere. AAMOF it's my nightstand gun, mounting a TLR-1. I'm an older guy but most of my life I've worked non-physical jobs so my wrists aren't as beat up as some here. I rarely shoot more than 150 rounds when I go to the range, and within that amount the recoil is manageable. I've got the brass and dies and a dozen mags for the gun and enough HST for a couple of years so it doesn't make sense to get rid of it. I might just get a police trade-in twin of it so I have a backup, because reasons.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    More accurately, which is why I want to test some other ammo weights at distances, etc. (thinking weight to POA/POI)
    We have had the best results with 180 grain. Usually HST.

If you add time pressure you Will likely find better results with the nine.

User Tag List