Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 40S&W making a comeback

Site Supporter
    I have a P2000 357 Sig with a second factory barrel in 40 S&W. Too I have a large quantity of ammo in each caliber and many factory mags for each. They differ very slightly but do interchange. I like the combination because I have too much money in it to dislike it. Each barrel shoots reliably.

I got away from 40cal, just got rid of my last one and then bought a red box P320 40 cal for $349.00. It appears to be NIB. Great shooter.

I agree that low market prices as opposed to true desire for the .40 over 9mm, etc. are probably significantly driving current .40 acquisitions.

A couple of my thoughts:

1. I strongly suspect that most pistol acquirers probably don't shoot their pistols in significant enough amounts after the acquisition to master them, or be able to intelligently discern the differences between them and a different caliber in the same or similar platform-the lower initial acquisition price (for admittedly decent weapons) is driving the train, before the pistol is shoved in a sock drawer...;

2. A well designed .40 can dampen down and tame the pressure spike and recoil characteristics of the .40; HKs come immediately to mind, with their purpose- and caliber-driven architectures and RSA design. A key, long suspected by p-f conoscenti seems to be the combination of a heavier slide and an intelligently designed/tuned RSA.

3. While the .40 is an established and viable cartridge for many venues/likely scenarios, I suspect that where it's starting to establish itself as a viable niche cartridge is for backcountry/wilderness use, combined with cartridges designed and manufactured by some of the boutique outfits, such as Underwood with their Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator and Defender lines, making a .40 and 9mm platform viable against dangerous game-and especially with lighter, more weather-impervious, easily and minimally maintained and higher capacity polymer-framed pistols can make for a paradigm shift in wilderness protection, away from heavier, larger-calibered, relatively limited capacity revolvers, which are generally more weather susceptible and significantly more difficult to disassemble if needed in a field environment. My personal case in point, for what it's worth: When handgun hunting with my excellent, tuned Ruger Blackhawk, I concurrently carry either my Gen 3 Glock G21 in .45 ACP or Gen4 G22 as protection backup against fast moving dangerous game...

4. While LEOs are indeed shifting in significant numbers from .40(and probably .45 ACP) platforms to 9mm ones, I would be willing to suggest that those organizations with a significant history or perceived concern where increased media penetration is desirable will continue to maintain at least partial issue of .40 platforms; I'm thinking Highway Patrol/State Police and more rural police/sheriff departments.

5. Performance rather than capacity per se will be more of a platform/caliber determinant as we move on, especially between .40 and 9mm choices.

6. While more culturally and historically embedded, I suspect that over time .45 ACP will see significantly diminished use and platform sales, as it strikes me as being effectually book-ended between 9mm and .40, without providing an inherent objectively definable performance value over either, as well as generally necessitating a larger platform for use.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 11-12-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Sorry, guys-double post due to server vicissitudes...

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 11-12-2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Double post-sorry.

I enjoy the .40 (as well as 9mm and .45) just like above I think it will take off in more of a woods role. A 5” .40 loaded with some 200 grain hard cast or some Leigh penetrators should work for all but the biggest woods issues.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

I like a duplicate gun in 40, because I find I start slacking with my grip shooting 9mm all the time. The right gun in 40 makes it feel not really any different than some guns in 9mm. I started at 45 acp, then 357 sig then to 10mm and 40. I am glad I did too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I agree that low market prices as opposed to true desire for the .40 over 9mm, etc. are probably significantly driving current .40 acquisitions.

A couple of my thoughts:

1. I strongly suspect that most pistol acquirers probably don't shoot their pistols in significant enough amounts after the acquisition to master them, or be able to intelligently discern the differences between them and a different caliber in the same or similar platform-the lower initial acquisition price (for admittedly decent weapons) is driving the train, before the pistol is shoved in a sock drawer...;

2. A well designed .40 can dampen down and tame the pressure spike and recoil characteristics of the .40; HKs come immediately to mind, with their purpose- and caliber-driven architectures and RSA design. A key, long suspected by p-f conoscenti seems to be the combination of a heavier slide and an intelligently designed/tuned RSA.

3. While the .40 is an established and viable cartridge for many venues/likely scenarios, I suspect that where it's starting to establish itself as a viable niche cartridge is for backcountry/wilderness use, combined with cartridges designed and manufactured by some of the boutique outfits, such as Underwood with their Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator and Defender lines, making a .40 and 9mm platform viable against dangerous game-and especially with lighter, more weather-impervious, easily and minimally maintained and higher capacity polymer-framed pistols can make for a paradigm shift in wilderness protection, away from heavier, larger-calibered, relatively limited capacity revolvers, which are generally more weather susceptible and significantly more difficult to disassemble if needed in a field environment. My personal case in point, for what it's worth: When handgun hunting with my excellent, tuned Ruger Blackhawk, I concurrently carry either my Gen 3 Glock G21 in .45 ACP or Gen4 G22 as protection backup against fast moving dangerous game...

4. While LEOs are indeed shifting in significant numbers from .40(and probably .45 ACP) platforms to 9mm ones, I would be willing to suggest that those organizations with a significant history or perceived concern where increased media penetration is desirable will continue to maintain at least partial issue of .40 platforms; I'm thinking Highway Patrol/State Police and more rural police/sheriff departments.

5. Performance rather than capacity per se will be more of a platform/caliber determinant as we move on, especially between .40 and 9mm choices.

6. While more culturally and historically embedded, I suspect that over time .45 ACP will see significantly diminished use and platform sales, as it strikes me as being effectually book-ended between 9mm and .40, without providing an inherent objectively definable performance value over either, as well as generally necessitating a larger platform for use.

Best, Jon
    My nephew is the Sheriff in a SW VA county. His was the first US agency to buy the S&W M&P .40 pistols in the mid 2000's. They have just gotten the 2.0 version and love them and .40 cartridge. His folks are almost all shooters, which helps.
    .40 and .45 are dropping like flies in LE use in this part of VA. Everyone around us has traded in .40s and 45s and .357 Sigs in for 9mm pistols.
    I just picked up a recently traded G22 G4 in nice shape with all accessories for $299. It needed a detail strip and clean because its prior user must have used a half bottle of Quaker State to lube it.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 11-12-2019 at 03:47 PM.

supply v demand. everyone moving to 9mm is going to be a disaster when the next ammo panic hits. 9mm demand will spike even worse than in 2012. after sandy hook we all saw shelves with .40 and .357 but not much else. nowadays I would not be surprised if 9mm prices jumped well above .40.

the main reason to own a few pistols in .40 is that ammo will be available at least for the next 10 years. the lack of “demand spike” ensures a steady supply. as a cartridge I am ambivalent about its utility but it clanks the steel nice and is easy to fine...counts for something!

Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post
    supply v demand. everyone moving to 9mm is going to be a disaster when the next ammo panic hits. 9mm demand will spike even worse than in 2012. after sandy hook we all saw shelves with .40 and .357 but not much else. nowadays I would not be surprised if 9mm prices jumped well above .40.

the main reason to own a few pistols in .40 is that ammo will be available at least for the next 10 years. the lack of “demand spike” ensures a steady supply. as a cartridge I am ambivalent about its utility but it clanks the steel nice and is easy to fine...counts for something!
    I strongly doubt we'll see the same kind of full shelves of .40 & .357sig during the next panic as we did during 2012.

2012 was still at a point where those were a major LEO cartridge, and thus was a commonly loaded caliber. Because it wasn't all that popular with the public, there was a huge backlog of unsold ammo at the time.

With the overall swap to 9mm, I suspect that the various ammo companies have seriously cut back on producing .40 & .357sig.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I continue to kinda like it, but only have two pistols left for it. My M&P is setup pretty sweet with nice sights and Apex kit, I am not inclined to sell it for the $250 I could get for it. I also have a Kahr P-40 and it would be a better pistol if it were a P-9, but I have traveled enough miles with it (including in a pouch on my bicycle from Cincinnati to Cleveland) I am gonna keep it.

My actual plan is get a 10mm 1911 because I have always wanted one, and get a barrel for it and shoot up the 3k rounds of my reloads I had stockpiled when nine won me over. Another angle is I have always been curious about a 226 but not $600 curious, and this is interesting:
    https://aimsurplus.com/leo-trade-in-...-40-sw-pistol/
    Last edited by mmc45414; 11-12-2019 at 07:38 PM.

User Tag List