Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 40S&W making a comeback

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It's a great time to pick up a USP .40 full size as a woods gun. If you aren't around big bears, there's no need for .45 Super.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    Define comeback. Agencies are dumping the caliber in mass in my region, and my LGSs cant sell the ones they have and wont stock them. They'll order you one for a nonrefundable deposit. Average trade in here for a G22 ( and I've seen NIB samples get this) is 150.00. The largest LE distributor in my state can barely give them away.

This is not a shot at your observations or the viability/popularity/effectiveness of the caliber. Just my observations and knowledge of the industry trends, at least in my market
    It won't make a comeback as far as a LE cartridge or serious training round (ie high volume shooters) but I've seen a complete turnaround with civilian shooters. A couple of years ago most at the range weren't shooting 40 and didn't care for it as a round. Lately, I'm seeing allot of people with 40S&W pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    It won't make a comeback as far as a LE cartridge or serious training round (ie high volume shooters) but I've seen a complete turnaround with civilian shooters. A couple of years ago most at the range weren't shooting 40 and didn't care for it as a round. Lately, I'm seeing allot of people with 40S&W pistols.

You'll see that change as soon as the police surplus wave of .40s dries up.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

CWM11B
    I get that, but what is the sample size? The commercial market sales numbers dont support the assertion from what I've seen from my contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    If capacity restrictions become more common, then I would expect both .40 and .45 to become more popular. It appears that Virginia may be headed that way, and Pittsburgh’s most recent attempt was shut down in court. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think that was true for AWB94, but won't be a second time around. Too many shootable compact and micro 9s in 7-10rd capacities now.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    I get that, but what is the sample size? The commercial market sales numbers dont support the assertion from what I've seen from my contacts.
    True, I belong to a small gun club and the sample size isn't big.

.40 can’t go away fast enough. Once I shoot all I have on hand and reload my stockpiled components I’ll sell off my last remaining gun in that caliber. It’s only really good (to me) for gaming to make major in the 2011 platform.

Site Supporter
    I’ve kept a couple of my .40s even after switching to 9. I’ve become fairly high volume with Berettas and won’t be switching back any time soon, but if ammo gets hard to come by and .40 is there, I’ll shoot it. That said the XD40 got a 9 barrel put in it, and that’s on the list for the G22, as well. Better economically than trading guns, especially since I don’t care much for those platforms these days.

The public outdoor range I shoot at, somebody likes .40. I regularly find one or two brands .40 brass as I’m picking up my own.

I've never been a .40 fan but with trade-ins being so cheap I had to buy a few. I might grab a couple more to leave with family so I can fly there to visit and just take a carry-on bag and not have to check anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

They seem to be gaining a bit more popularity locally. They seem to be moving, although slowly, at the 3 or 4 LGS I frequent, where a short while ago they were just gathering dust.

The price tags have seen a slight rise too, even for the used used .40 handguns. Just a few bucks, but still......

I like .40, just don't shoot it or carry it as much as I used to 10 years ago or so.
    Last edited by sparkyfender; 11-12-2019 at 01:42 PM.

User Tag List