Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 40S&W making a comeback

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Factory 135 grain loads as supplied to DHS were loaded to try and duplicate 125 grain 357 magnum.

Handloading below min powder levels presentsits ownsadety Issues.
    Didn't know that on the DHS - good to know.

Absolutely agree on the hand loading part - I was much younger, dumber, and didn't know what I didn't know (still don't).

Factory 135 grain loads as supplied to DHS were loaded to try and duplicate 125 grain 357 magnum.
    How did they work in the field? I like pretty much anything in a bonded 125gr or better at about 1200fps. Don't really care whether it's 9 or 40. We just got our new issue of duty rounds and they went from 165gr GD to 180gr. Asked why the change.... "It's more powerful."
    Last edited by FNFAN; 11-17-2019 at 04:05 PM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    How did they work in the field? I like pretty much anything in a bonded 125gr or better at about 1200fps. Don't really care whether it's 9 or 40. We just got our new issue of duty rounds and they went from 165gr GD to 180gr. Asked why the change.... "It's more powerful."
    Like crap. Too much flash and blast for most shooters to hit anything and they beat the crap out of the HK’s Which even the hot 155 grain ammo had not done.

The 155 was really too hot for most shooters to control effectively. It worked in actual shootings but so does the 180 grain HST we issue now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Didn't know that on the DHS - good to know.

Absolutely agree on the hand loading part - I was much younger, dumber, and didn't know what I didn't know (still don't).
    For most of the time INS and border patrol issued 155 grain standard JHP, first Remington, the Winchester and federal. It worked but it was hard on guns and a little too much for most shooters to control properly.

CBP/USBP tried issuing the 135 grain for a short period of time and it was a disaster. They did this around the same time we went to the 180 grain. Long story short the 135 was a s**t show and CBP followed us to 180 grain HST.

I got a few boxes of that old 155gr from a salty Agent...it was stupid spicy! A fun trick is to put a single round of it buried in a random magazine full of the current load and give it to someone. I heard the 135gr was even crazier but have never had the opportunity to try any.

I still remember the published specs on the 155 grain Remington: 1200 fps @ 500 ft/lbs. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy back when I thought such things were important.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

My friend is a manager at the local fun store.

He said the only pistols they bother stocking in 40 are G22s & G23s, and that the consignment case is full of 40 and 45, but no 9mm.

Site Supporter
    Like crap. Too much flash and blast for most shooters to hit anything and they beat the crap out of the HK’s Which even the hot 155 grain ammo had not done.

The 155 was really too hot for most shooters to control effectively. It worked in actual shootings but so does the 180 grain HST we issue now.
    I have a couple of boxes of Corbon 40 S&Ws with 135 HPs loaded hot and fast. I bet they are a "blast" to shoot.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    I got a few boxes of that old 155gr from a salty Agent...it was stupid spicy! A fun trick is to put a single round of it buried in a random magazine full of the current load and give it to someone. I heard the 135gr was even crazier but have never had the opportunity to try any.
    I picked up a case or two of HST 155gr contract overrun a couple years back. Haven't shot it yet. At least I have a USP full size to launch it.

Note to self: Don't put it in the 96D.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

From all reports that stuff destroyed our Berettas. 155gr at 1200FPS is getting you a USPSA power factor of 186...yea, I’m good.
    Last edited by TCB; 11-19-2019 at 09:59 PM.

User Tag List