Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 40S&W making a comeback

40S&W making a comeback

I have noticed that more and more people own and shoot 40S&W handguns. It seems like everyone just bought one and or I'm seeing them at the range. Not long ago 40S&W was frowned upon and noted for it's "snappy" recoil and over priced ammunition. It hasn't been that long since 9mm became the new fad. I'm guessing it's the discounted 40 cal handguns going on sale and or police trade ins. I've never seen a cartridge turn around so quickly, going back in favor.

For low volume shooters the difference in the cost of cheap training / plinking ammunition is probably not significant compared to the reduced cost of handguns e.g. agency trade-ins. For USPSA Limited & IPSC Standard division 40 is the sweet spot and participants may also be reloading.

People like cheap.... and a lot of the police trade ins are available at a good price and they seem to be in pretty good shape... too bad the ammo cost is higher.
    Last edited by rcbusmc24; 11-12-2019 at 10:17 AM.

Site Supporter
    If capacity restrictions become more common, then I would expect both .40 and .45 to become more popular. It appears that Virginia may be headed that way, and Pittsburgh’s most recent attempt was shut down in court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Vending Machine Operator
    I have kept my 5 .40s (PX4, M&P40, Cougar 8040, G27, G23) because I already own them so why not? They aren't worth much for trade these days.

They don't get shot a lot but my former Detroit PD M&P40 is my woods/camping handgun, I consider it an excellent woods cartridge.

I don't think .40 will ever really make a comeback, but I think it will remain on the books as a niche cartridge like .357 Sig or 10mm for at least a few decades.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 11-12-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

The only people I know shooting .40 are guys competing in Limited or guys that don't know any better. I'm sure once the cheap police trade in guns dry up so will most of the interest in .40

CWM11B
    Define comeback. Agencies are dumping the caliber in mass in my region, and my LGSs cant sell the ones they have and wont stock them. They'll order you one for a nonrefundable deposit. Average trade in here for a G22 ( and I've seen NIB samples get this) is 150.00. The largest LE distributor in my state can barely give them away.

This is not a shot at your observations or the viability/popularity/effectiveness of the caliber. Just my observations and knowledge of the industry trends, at least in my market

It’s not going back into general favor so much as the general populace likes cheap guns. It’s big in competition circles as stated earlier for obvious reasons, but it’s not really seen that much of an uptick there for that reason.

PDs are offloading their .40S&W guns because they’re moving to 9mm. They then typically are sold used at pretty good prices. People see the deals and then scoop them up.

Managing .40S&W isn’t generally that big a deal. There’s a difference, but it’s generally not THAT big a difference. But it does wear guns out way faster in general and that’s part of why I dislike it.

.40 S&W is more comfortable to shoot out of .45 Auto frames in its parent caliber.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quick search online shows a used G22 for $289 and a case of Tula at $200 for a total of $489
    Same vendor lists a used G17 for $429 and a case of Tula at $140 for a total of $569

Considering the .40 cal price starts with a 2, and the 9mm starts with a 4, that can be appealing.

Add in certain vendors trying to dump .40 and you can save even more on ammo.

My time spent on a sub compact .40 was well worth it. I actually sort of wish I hadn't sold it off.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List