Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 40S&W making a comeback

Site Supporter
    Shoot, the 180 grain HST makes a 178 power factor from my full-size M&P, and my handloads are 1 fps slower with the same bullet weight. Works nicely on steel.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    From all reports that stuff destroyed our Berettas. 155gr at 1200FPS is getting you a USPSA power factor of 186...yea, I’m good.
    I broke 3 96D Brigadiers in 4 years and an HK USPC firing pin shooting that stuff.

I shot 100 rounds or so in my USPC a few months back and my hands felt numb like when I use the weed eater for too long.

"Pah'rful stuff."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Shoot, the 180 grain HST makes a 178 power factor from my full-size M&P, and my handloads are 1 fps slower with the same bullet weight. Works nicely on steel.
    180 grain HST works nicely on people too..... but so does 124 +p Gold Dot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    180 grain HST works nicely on people too..... but so does 124 +p Gold Dot.
    The M&P pulls nightstand duty, mounting a TLR-1. My carry guns (PX4 for big, P99c for small) are loaded with 124-grain +P HST. I'd be fine carrying the M&P again if I had to.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    ...and my hands felt numb like when I use the weed eater for too long.
    White Ox cotton gloves are preferred by loggers in the PacNW. Nice and cushiony, but kinda breathable and don't get slimy when wet. Which is important when it rains in July and August and you're outside working. Washable.

Also, bicycle handle. I bought the parts and changed mine over. Helped my elbow tendonitis, too.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Question

I broke 3 96D Brigadiers in 4 years and an HK USPC firing pin shooting that stuff.
    How’d they break?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    How’d they break?
    1 trigger return spring, 1 extractor and 1 locking block.

How did the ammo break those parts?

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    One area of attack for the anti 2A crowd will be lethality of handgun ammo, and they will accomplish this goal state by state. We know that N.J. has been an example for a few years. That federal legislation might support this madness is not far fetched. After hollow point handgun ammo becomes illegal, and civilians are restricted to fmj ammo, and after magazine capacity is restricted, we can expect to see re-emergence of the 40 and 45 caliber handguns. So, if you are a young man or woman, keep what you have. You will need it eventually.
    This was part of my reasoning when I picked up a G33 and a spare factory G27 barrel and a few mags for it a few years ago. I have no intention on keeping my M&P40c and Shield 40 (just too lazy to sell them in such a depressed market) but wanted the ability to shoot .40 and .357 SIG in a familiar platform. I will keep my late stepfather’s duty Walther P99, though - more as a heirloom than a shooter, though.

NJ hollowpoint ban is decades old and is not supported by facts. The public safety aspect of hollowpoints not exiting the intended target out weigh that argument, this is why every significant LE Agency in the country, even in NJ and the notoriously liberal NYC issues hollow point ammunition. The better terminal ballistics are secondary but they also contribute to public safety because the few shots needed to stop a threat, the less chance of a miss since every round fired on the street actually hits something.
    Not supported by facts doesn’t enter into the equation with the antis. If I’m going to be restricted to FMJ at some point in the future, I’d rather it be something bigger and heavier than 9mm.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I still remember the published specs on the 155 grain Remington: 1200 fps @ 500 ft/lbs. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy back when I thought such things were important.
    Well such things can be important. You can get very nice terminal effects out those rounds, and I think the 155 gr. Gold Dot is still on Doc's list. The trouble is you can get more or less equally good effects out of easier-to-shoot rounds, such as 165 and 180 grainers, but those lack the satisfaction of breaking pistols as often.

I mean, how else are you going to convince those in charge that you need a different pistol if your old ones don't break often enough?

User Tag List