Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: 40S&W making a comeback

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    ?
    What part of this statement are you hazy on?

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    What part of this statement are you hazy on?
    "A neutered 10 round magazine will work fine, so long as it's not a Glock".
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    "A neutered 10 round magazine will work fine, so long as it's not a Glock".
    Yeah, 10 - round REDUCED capacity Glock magazines aren’t the most reliable. This has been documented in several threads on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Yeah, 10 - round REDUCED capacity Glock magazines aren’t the most reliable. This has been documented in several threads on this forum.
    Yeah, so don't use the Glock 19/17 OEM 10 round mags. Glock's single stack-ish 10 round neutered mag is not representative of anything but itself.

Use a blocked mag whether it's the Magpul or a Glock OEM mag permanently blocked by a vendor, which will work fine.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Galbraith View Post
    https://lawofficer.com/exclusive/off...ulis-incident/

Officer Soulis was using .40S&W Winchester 165gr Ranger Talons rated at 1160fps, and his duty weapon was a G22. The suspect sustained a total of 22 hits, 17 hits were in the mid and upper torso. It was estimated that 11 hits in the mid and upper torso were sustained by the suspect, before he ran back to his truck, put it in reverse, and was attempting to drive away before several more rounds from Soulis' G22 finished him off. The suspect only had a small amount of alcohol in his system.

The moral of the story is, even with a more energetic pistol round like the 165gr RT which travels at around 1180fps from a G22, it did not have any more stopping effect than lower velocity projectiles. What this shooting, along with MANY other shootings is that the only reliable, measurable, and even observed method of quickly stopping an attacker with a service handgun caliber is hitting something good. Turning someone into a human sprinkler works, but it takes time. The old phrase of "shot placement is king" still rings true with the larger calibers.

Now the .40S&W tends to handle a wide variety of barriers a little better than 9mm from my experiences. I agree with Dr. Roberts when he commented that a modern, soft shooting .40S&W would be a very tempting duty pistol if I were working highway patrol again.

As for the .45acp, if works if you do your part. I will throw out 2 officer involved shootings in which both perps sustained many .45acp torso hits with modern JHPs, but they required head shots to finish the job.
    Officer Keith Borders OIS:
    https://lawofficer.com/special-assig...ors-sacrifice/

Officer Tim Grammins OIS:
    https://americanhandgunner.com/the-a...f-tim-gramins/

Here's a video of a civilian shooting where a pawn shop owner took down a perp with his .45acp 1911. The perp took two hits. The first hit him in his upper spine, and the second in the head. Needless to say, both shots hit something good, and worked quite well.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/ne...r-Georgia.html

I'm currently using a .45acp duty pistol, but I've been very tempted to return to a higher capacity 9mm after injuring my strong side shoulder and performing higher volume sustained fire single handed. Now that it is doing better, I still keep the training lesson in the back of my mind that I need to be prepared to fight a gun battle when my body may not be at its best.
    The problem with all these scenarios is there is no measurable constant. If it took 22 hits with a .40, we don’t know it would have taken 27 with a 9mm. Heck, maybe it would have taken 5. I know of one case where a cheap 9mm round was deflected in a very bad way, killing the victim. A .40 or a premium 9mm would likely have punched straight through and been survivable.

The only current carry I have that’s not a 9mm is my G27. At this point the only reason a 27 over a 26 is cause I already own it and it’s well vetted (and I don’t own a 26).

User Tag List