Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotus -oh dear, Remington

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    I’m in the same boat, but the article claims that some exemption in the law is what is allowing the suit to go forward. Of course no link to said law segment or ruling is offered.

Does this mean we can now start suing GM for teenagers driving muscle cars and getting into accidents?

So if the advertising and product placement into video games is an issue, why isn’t the video game a target as well?
    Because this is results oriented jurisprudence in a politically motivated case against a designated target?

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    It's noteworthy how the AP wire story seems to be intentionally worded to give the impression that Remington lost a case after argument in the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court didn't do anything except decline the petition for Cert. (https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...19zor_db8e.pdf) which can happen for a variety of reasons, but does not include an explanation.
    Yes, noteworthy indeed.
    Trying to create a false narrative. Who would have thought?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Yes, noteworthy indeed.
    Trying to create a false narrative. Who would have thought?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

If I were LL, I'd be a little concerned about being hauled before the courts for the buying frenzies he engenders. Are you listening, LL! May be time to flee to a country with no extradition treaty...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If I were LL, I'd be a little concerned about being hauled before the courts for the buying frenzies he engenders. Are you listening, LL! May be time to flee to a country with no extradition treaty...
    They would arrest him at the airport with all that cash I suspect.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Is a Cert vote public record? Do we know who voted against?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I don't understand this one.
    Perhaps GM and all auto makers along with Budweiser and the rest of the spirit manufacturers need to pucker up because if this flies, Holy Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Is a Cert vote public record? Do we know who voted against?
    I haven't found anything except a list of denied cases: https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...19zor_db8e.pdf
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    There won’t be a SCOTUS opinion as it’s a denial of cert. Instead of affirming the CT court opinion, SCOTUS is declining to hear the case, which means the lower court’s ruling stands, but is only controlling for CT. It can be persuasive in other jurisdictions, but they aren’t obligated to follow it. If another jurisdiction rules differently, that increases the likelihood that SCOTUS may address the issue later due to conflicting interpretations of the law.

Link to the CT Supreme Court opinion:

https://www.jud.ct.gov/external/supa...1/331CR865.pdf
    I believe that I see the possible motive for a denial of cert in that SCOTUS might see precedent (namely, Heller, Heller ll and MacDonald) working against plaintiffs' liability theories—

"The plaintiffs’ first theory of liability was that the rifle is a military grade weapon that is grossly ill-suited for legitimate civilian purposes such as self-defense or recreation, that the rifle and other similar semiautomatic weapons have become the weapon of choice for mass shootings and, therefore, that the risks associated with selling the rifle to the civilian market far outweigh any potential benefits, that the defendants continued to sell the rifle despite their knowledge of these facts, and that it therefore was negligent and an unfair trade practice under CUTPA for the defendants to sell the weapon, knowing that it eventually would be purchased by a civilian customer who might share it with other civilian users."
    And that this language contained later in the body of the denial—

1. The trial court correctly concluded that the plaintiffs did not plead a legally sufficient cause of action based on negligent entrustment under this state’s common law and, therefore, properly struck the plaintiffs’ claims predicated on that legal theory: the plaintiffs failed to establish that the defendants had any reason to expect that L’s mother, the direct purchaser of the rifle, was likely to use the rifle in an unsafe manner or in a manner that would involve an unreasonable risk of physical harm; moreover, this court declined the plaintiffs’ invitation to expand the common-law doctrine of negligent entrustment to allow such a cause of action to proceed on a theory that it was reasonably foreseeable to the defendants that, following the initial entrustment of a dangerous instrumentality, such as the rifle in question, that instrumentality would come into the possession of someone like L, who would use it in an unsafe manner, and, in any event, it was unnecessary to decide whether,in the present case, a cause of action for negligent entrustment could proceed under such a theory because the plaintiffs did not allege that any of the defendants possessed any knowledge or had any specific reason to believe either that L’s mother would share the rifle with L or that L was especially likely to operate it unsafely or illegally; furthermore,to the extent that the plaintiffs were seeking to pursue their negligent entrustment claim on the theory that any commercial sale of assault weapons to civilian users constitutes negligent entrustment because the societal costs of such sales outweigh the perceived benefits, this court followed the lead of other courts in rejecting that theory.

—might be relied upon in future proceedings as the nail in that particular coffin.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 11-12-2019 at 03:36 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...lawsuit-069826

Guess the new court isn't our saviors. Of course, this is hot off the presses. But the suit goes on!
    Yeah, it's really too bad that Hillary did not get elected. Because she would have been so much more pro-gun than Trump, and would have certainly elected more pro-gun judges.

User Tag List