Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Armed Tradesmen In Your Home.

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    Most small companies don’t do background checks, and if they do it’s not really a no go to be a felon
    Most large trade companies don’t do background checks either, at least not in my experience. Perhaps you missed my statement about not hiring felons? It’s a question on the application. If they lie on the application they get fired. It comes up eventually.

Most legitimate companies don’t tolerate the type of behavior the original poster was concerned about. The employees don’t like liars and thieves. Habitual users of mind altering drugs are a danger to themselves and more importantly to the rest of us. People refuse to work with them.

I’ve been an electrician for 24 years in commercial, residential, retail, and industrial environments. . I’m not speaking from a position of idle speculation nor professional indignation.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Most large trade companies don’t do background checks either, at least not in my experience. Perhaps you missed my statement about not hiring felons? It’s a question on the application. If they lie on the application they get fired. It comes up eventually.

Most legitimate companies don’t tolerate the type of behavior the original poster was concerned about. The employees don’t like liars and thieves. Habitual users of mind altering drugs are a danger to themselves and more importantly to the rest of us. People refuse to work with them.

I’ve been an electrician for 24 years in commercial, residential, retail, and industrial environments. . I’m not speaking from a position of idle speculation nor professional indignation.
    I’m not sure what point you are trying to make...you took exception to my original statement but seem to agree that most companies regardless of size do background checks so how are they weeding out criminals???
    Wasn’t meant as a knock on the trades just stating what I’ve observed in reality
    I been in construction either full or part time since I got out of the military in ‘92...the trades are full of what most consider less than exemplary individuals, it’s where a man with a past can go and make a good living

General observation of what happens in the world around me
    Very rarely do you hear of a bad guy getting arrested because of someone seeing a gun on a bad guy???
    When you do it’s usually because the bad guy is about to do something
    Pardon, but when I wrote "direct observation," I meant in the sense of you have seen just what's being discussed: prohibited persons concealing weapons with greater proficiency than non-prohibited persons also concealing weapons.

If you have not directly observed such, and known the appropriate statuses of those you see doing so; then I think that it's a deductive hypothesis that is not sufficiently supported for such a broad statement as was made.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Pardon, but when I wrote "direct observation," I meant in the sense of you have seen just what's being discussed: prohibited persons concealing weapons with greater proficiency than non-prohibited persons also concealing weapons.

If you have not directly observed such, and known the appropriate statuses of those you see doing so; then I think that it's a deductive hypothesis that is not sufficiently supported for such a broad statement as was made.
    Lol, sense if they are concealing well I wouldn’t know and they probably aren’t very talkative about such matters we’ll just have to use common sense
    we know criminals carry guns...that they don’t regularly get snatched up based on people or police observing them poorly hiding their guns suggests that they do it better

Lol, sense if they are concealing well I wouldn’t know and they probably aren’t very talkative about such matters we’ll just have to use common sense
    we know criminals carry guns...that they don’t regularly get snatched up based on people or police observing them poorly hiding their guns suggests that they do it better
    Again: this is a deductive hypothesis as opposed to something you've directly observed. It may well be something validated by others. But right now, a quick google search with a range of criteria shows quite a many prohibited persons arrested after they were observed poorly concealing firearms, and you have been unable to offer any direct evidence in support of your hypothesis.

We should all be somewhat careful and specific, in how we give tangible status to absent data.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Again: this is a deductive hypothesis as opposed to something you've directly observed. It may well be something validated by others. But right now, a quick google search with a range of criteria shows quite a many prohibited persons arrested after they were observed poorly concealing firearms, and you have been unable to offer any direct evidence in support of your hypothesis.

We should all be somewhat careful and specific, in how we give tangible status to absent data.
    If they aren’t then it should be a simple task for the police to just drive around a pick up every bad guy carrying a gun

I don’t need scientific analysis to explain something that common sense can

A criminal that decides to carry a gun on a daily basis while performing a normal job will obviously do a very good job of hiding it...he’s trying to live a normal life but feels the need to carry (for whatever reason) he’s not going to be sloppy about hiding his gun...yes i am speaking in generalities

If they aren’t then it should be a simple task for the police to just drive around a pick up every bad guy carrying a gun

I don’t need scientific analysis to explain something that common sense can

A criminal that decides to carry a gun on a daily basis while performing a normal job will obviously do a very good job of hiding it...he’s trying to live a normal life but feels the need to carry (for whatever reason) he’s not going to be sloppy about hiding his gun...yes i am speaking in generalities
    I think that's the same sort of logical fallacy as many CCWers make, in that being unchallenged for printing or exposures is conflated with an ideal concealment reality.

That said, we don't have to agree on this matter, and that's quite alright.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

I’m not sure what point you are trying to make...you took exception to my original statement but seem to agree that most companies regardless of size do background checks so how are they weeding out criminals???
    Wasn’t meant as a knock on the trades just stating what I’ve observed in reality
    I been in construction either full or part time since I got out of the military in ‘92...the trades are full of what most consider less than exemplary individuals, it’s where a man with a past can go and make a good living
    I think we're talking past each other.

Finding felons in the trades these days is about as common as folks getting offered a chance to go to jail or join the Army by the judge.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I think that's the same sort of logical fallacy as many CCWers make, in that being unchallenged for printing or exposures is conflated with an ideal concealment reality.

That said, we don't have to agree on this matter, and that's quite alright.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I think we're talking past each other.

Finding felons in the trades these days is about as common as folks getting offered a chance to go to jail or join the Army by the judge.
    How would you know if most companies don’t check???
    Really not trying to be argumentative but felons in the trades is quite common in the three states I’ve ran businesses in
    Maybe not electricians, I don’t know because I don’t spend much time with electricians sense I dislike electricity (read that as it scares me lol) so I don’t dabble in it, I just let the pros do it
    All the other trades i have spent a lot of time with and felons, drunks, drug addicts and generally less than ethical people are quite common

User Tag List