Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Armed Tradesmen In Your Home.

We just replaced our water heater. Straight up: we chose the handyman crew *because* they’re vets and active CCW people. Both father and son occasionally print on the job, and that’s great, because yanking the heater in and out requires being by my safe. If someone is in my house, hanging out by my safe, I want them to be gun people.

I tipped the son (he was a tanker in Iraq) a NIB CRKT Dragon, in desert tan of course, because: veteran’s day.

JMO.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 11-12-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Being armed isn't being a threat.
    BBI, this needs to be sent to every single person in the USA.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    We have a handyman and his son that do work for us from time to time. They were painting one day and asked my wife if they laid their firearm on the mantle. I appreciated the fact they didn't want to leave it in the van. My wife laughed and said yeah there may already be one up there.

From the tradesman's perspective. I would be nervous walking into a strangers home.

I would feel a little hypocritical. I don't eat in restaurants or shop in stores that do not allow carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    You don't know your tradesmen? Well they don't know you either. They carry for the same reason you do.
    Beat me to it. I'm not a tradesman, but if I were in his shoes, I'd very likely be doing the same thing.

A bunch of years ago there was an AAR on (Tactics-L?) on that year's NTI. It discussed the juxtapoisiton of people who go armed and advocate that others go armed, but didn't "get" that they would encouter other people like them going armed or know how to handle them. And that when confronted, their default would be "man with gun" rather than "lawfully armed citizen like me." I think there are several people from that NTI and that old listserv here who might also remember it.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Most I'd do is let him know, one armed individual to another, that he's printing, so he'd know and could adjust his setup accordingly.

It's the helpful thing to do.

Like others have said, being armed isn't being a threat. Hell, to my mind,it's being normal.

We become prejudicial like the antis if we go armed wherever we please, but get wierd about it when others do.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    A bunch of years ago there was an AAR on (Tactics-L?) on that year's NTI. It discussed the juxtapoisiton of people who go armed and advocate that others go armed, but didn't "get" that they would encouter other people like them going armed or know how to handle them. And that when confronted, their default would be "man with gun" rather than "lawfully armed citizen like me." I think there are several people from that NTI and that old listserv here who might also remember it.
    People also have to realize that the constitution protects those who don't look like we do and or think like we do. People are quick to react when someone says something they don't agree with or when someone carries a gun that doesn't dress like or look like they do.
    When I say people I mean me. I am people I must realize and remember.
    Last edited by camsdaddy; 11-12-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Site Supporter
    A friend has a son who is a tradesman. He has criminal history for theft and vilolence, and he is a meth user. He carries a cocked and locked 1911 in an iwb holster. He is violating state and federal law. If he goes to your house, then he will be carrying. He does not do work for me. Are we to assume that other people carrying on our property are eligible to do so?
    Last edited by willie; 11-12-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    To some extent, these tradesmen are "us." I've seen plenty of posts on gun forums through the years by plumbers and electricians regarding on the job concealment and employer policies. My wife occasionally has to make home visits in the course of her job, and I wish she would carry a pistol!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    A friend has a son who is a tradesman. He has criminal history for theft and vilolence, and he is a meth user. He carries a cocked and locked 1911 in an iwb holster. He is violating state and federal law. If he goes to your house, then he will be carrying. He does not do work for me. Are we to assume that other people carrying on our property are eligible to do so?
    Unless I have a reason to assume otherwise, then of course that's what I assume.

User Tag List