Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Armed Tradesmen In Your Home.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    He was a plumber open carrying. It didn't come up in conversation.
    Plumbers are well known for their inability to conceal.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Your house, your rules. That said, I don't have a problem with tradesmen being armed. On occasions where I've noticed, I've just asked "what are you packing?" in a friendly manner and it has always just resulted in having a nice pistol chat....pistol preferences, calibers, holsters, where do you shoot, et cetera.

I do make sure to make the area of the house that workers will be in as discreet as possible, valuables-wise.

I have a couple friends in the housing trades and, if they can't do the work personally, I ask them who they would recommend...both from a competence and a trustworthiness standpoint.

Rosco

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Plumbers are well known for their inability to conceal.
    Last edited by Guerrero; 11-12-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Sure. Your biggest threat is theft, which is as easily accomplished unarmed. How many of your co-workers committed a violent act? If any, did it require a weapon?

Theft and a scout for a burglary crew are your threats with contractors, and being armed doesn't impact either.

We've had a lot of workers in our house this year. Roofing repair, replacement windows, and basement waterproofing. Multiple bids for each. I simply make sure there's no tempting valuables left out, talk to everyone on the crew a bit and get a feel for body language, nervousness, etc, and don't leave them alone until i'm satisfied they are legit. If something feels off, it probably is.
    Okay that makes sense.

I'm not married to this concept. If the general consensus here is that I'm overthinking this I'm probably going to rethink my position.

Interesting that only firearms are seen as dangerous. Ok, great, John Doe carpenter left his Glock in the van, because he was being respectful of the silly no guns sign on your front door. Glad he doesn't have a screwdriver, wrench, pliers, pipe, hammer, saw, pry bar, paint scraper, carpet knife, drill, circular saw.......
    Taking a break from social media.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
    I use to teach CCW classes for a gun store that wanted to make it so that the customers in the store couldn't carry a firearm in the store. I had a calm discussion with the business owners. It shinned the light on the fact that they were selling guns to people who were going to carry guns but they didn't want them to carry. The discussion turned to how those two things didn't add up in my mind and how they might add up in their customer's minds. The no customer guns in the store policy was never implemented.

Many elitist believe it's ok for ME to carry, just not you.
    But there's a difference between a gun shop that's open to the public and my home.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    To everyone else - you’re that “someone walking around with a gun”

This is a stupid conversation.
    I didn't read anything you wrote after that.

Have a nice day

I got to stop typing snarky responses to things.....
    Last edited by rcbusmc24; 11-12-2019 at 10:13 AM.

For me, it is situational. Guy is pocket carrying or IWB/OWB concealed behind the hip, no concern as I know I can easily outdraw him. Appendix and especially if he wears his pants a size or two large like Gabe, I am sweating.

Only half kidding.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I'm a contractor, and while I don't usually carry while I'm doing physical work, I've been armed in dozens of customers homes measuring for estimates and quotes. But AFAIK nobody ever knew. And in 25 years nobody has ever once brought it up.

You don't know your tradesmen? Well they don't know you either. They carry for the same reason you do.

User Tag List